.300 WBY 1:10 twist bullet recommendations

Weston

Hey guys,

I'm looking for some recommendations on pointing my old man in the right direction for bullet choice in a .300 wby he picked up.

It's a Weatherby carbonmark and google tells me it's a 1:10 twist, I haven't been looking at what .30 cal bullets have come out in the last 7 or so years since I developed a load for my .300 WM

Typically I lean towards high BC bullets and I'm not typically scared of shooting match bullets in most of my calibers and typically sway toward SMKs and Bergers in my hunting rifles, however I would like to have this gun set up primarily for a larger game rifle (elk mainly but perhaps moose, bou or even bison if one of us is lucky enough to draw a tag)

therefore I'm considering setting up a bonded or even a solid for this rifle, which I have nearly zero experience with (other than accubonds).

Thanks for some recommendations, I appreciate it!

You can never go wrong with an Accubond.
My 300 Bee loved 200gr Accubonds, and if I was to screw that barrel back on, I would work up a load with the 210gr ABLR seeing as though it works so well in my various 300WM's.
Cannot recommend any solid copper bullets, my guns don't like them.
A Partition is never a bad choice either if you're not shooting too long. 200gr Partitions work very well.

Cheers.

You can never go wrong with an Accubond.
My 300 Bee loved 200gr Accubonds, and if I was to screw that barrel back on, I would work up a load with the 210gr ABLR seeing as though it works so well in my various 300WM's.
Cannot recommend any solid copper bullets, my guns don't like them.
A Partition is never a bad choice either if you're not shooting too long. 200gr Partitions work very well.

Cheers.

thanks! The only reason I'm not overly ambitious on jumping on the accubond band wagon, is that I had a lot of polymer tips separate from the bullet on my 180 accubonds a couple years after loading them, they were kept in the safe with the rifle which is in a temperature controlled environment, but it did kind of put a sour taste in my mouth for the tipped bullets. Which is a shame because they were incredibly easy to develop loads for in three separate .300WMs

I use the 175 Barnes LRX with RL-26 in my 300 WM. Works great. I find that when you go with most of the high BC bullets over 200 grs their length take up valuable case space or you end up with an overly compressed load. An old bullet is the 200 gr Nosler Part and it works great also.

Edit: Misread post I was thinking of the 300 Win Mag.

Nosler had an issue with the polishing media, it contained something that got under the plastic tip and essentially melted it. It's been addressed and corrected as far as they told me.
I only had 2 do it in 338 cal and I have hundreds of them, including blems.
It's totally up to you, but they simply work and shoot great.

Cheers.

I was replying about 2 hours ago and the whole site crashed on me.

Nosler had an issue with the polishing media, it contained something that got under the plastic tip and essentially melted it. It's been addressed and corrected as far as they told me.
I only had 2 do it in 338 cal and I have hundreds of them, including blems.
It's totally up to you, but they simply work and shoot great.

Cheers.

I was replying about 2 hours ago and the whole site crashed on me.
205 berger hybird would get my vote

205 berger hybird would get my vote
Why?
He is NOT shooting LR, so a Berger is not needed.
I used to hunt with Berger's, too hard to get now and had failures to expand in 30 and 33 cals. Bullets also tumbled through the animals on 6 occasions.
Never seen an Accubond or Partition do that.
Oh, all of those failures were OTM, and yes, I have hunted with 215's, too much meat damage for my liking and I had better results with 210 Hybrids.
I am also hesitant to use the new 156gr EOL in my 264 due to my previous issues.

Cheers.

Hey guys,

I'm looking for some recommendations on pointing my old man in the right direction for bullet choice in a .300 wby he picked up.

It's a Weatherby carbonmark and google tells me it's a 1:10 twist, I haven't been looking at what .30 cal bullets have come out in the last 7 or so years since I developed a load for my .300 WM

Typically I lean towards high BC bullets and I'm not typically scared of shooting match bullets in most of my calibers and typically sway toward SMKs and Bergers in my hunting rifles, however I would like to have this gun set up primarily for a larger game rifle (elk mainly but perhaps moose, bou or even bison if one of us is lucky enough to draw a tag)

therefore I'm considering setting up a bonded or even a solid for this rifle, which I have nearly zero experience with (other than accubonds).

image.jpg
image.jpg

Why?
He is NOT shooting LR, so a Berger is not needed.
I used to hunt with Berger's, too hard to get now and had failures to expand in 30 and 33 cals. Bullets also tumbled through the animals on 6 occasions.
Never seen an Accubond or Partition do that.
Oh, all of those failures were OTM, and yes, I have hunted with 215's, too much meat damage for my liking and I had better results with 210 Hybrids.
I am also hesitant to use the new 156gr EOL in my 264 due to my previous issues.

Cheers.
I'm a berger fan never have had any problems and the usually they are accurate

I use 230 Berger's and my dad uses 200 Accubond. Both do a fantastic job for us. Both hold great groups out to 900 yards. Only bullets we use so limited knowledge on everything else. Good luck.

Hey guys,

Call Steve at Hammer Bullets and try the 181 Hammer Hunters. You'll be happy you did.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts