300 VODKA

a few things to consider ....

the concept behind the 300 Vodka is to surpass the capacity of the 300 RUM without needing a larger more costly action, with Remington 700 and similar tenon size actions you simply plunk the reamer in and you're having 15-18 gr more powder space, there's guys out there improving the Wby & Rum cases for few grains more, Wby & Rum brass requires work and culling, then primer pockets get loose after a couple full tilt loads .....

custom reamer cost is the same ...... gun smithing and gun parts costs the exact same .....while brass will be more expensive initially... it will be offset by having the ability to be reloaded 20+ times at full pressures, without having to neck up/down or fireform anything, every single piece of brass is identical in length, weight, internal volume and concentricity in case roundness the entire length of case, no neck turning as cases are precisely matched to chamber dimensions

I realize a lot of folks get awestruck or disgusted at the idea of necking down the 500 Nitro Express to 30 caliber, their minds have been conditioned to believe that the 500 NE is some sort of massive case and only crazy people would attempt this

not too long ago similar instances occurred and the ignorant.. naw, lets say uneducated (I call them "Gundummies") reacted in same finger pointing/wagging fashion, possibly wetting their drawers in horror

let's see if you can follow

404 Jeffery = 300 RUM
416 Rigby = 378 Wby & kids, 338 Lapua Mag
505 Gibbs = 408, 375 & 338 Chey Tac

now here's something to think about .... the case web diameter of the 500 NE /300 Vodka/Razor/Headhunter is roughly in between the 404 Jeff/300 Rum and the 416 Rigby/338 Lapua

in my personal findings In working with the 300 WSM, 300 Win Mag, 300 Wby, 300 LRC, 300 LRH, 300 RUM, 30-378 Wby and 7.82 Warbird ..... is that in 30 caliber ....anything much over 125-130 gr of h20 capacity doesn't significantly improve velocities regardless of powder or bullet weight used, it's too much of a good thing and creates more issues than improvements given our current selections of propellants and primers,

the "300 V" (as it was originally named), the case design incorporates refinements... the internals specifically ... the web cup area is thickened significantly and RCC's proprietary anvil/cup/ignition structure is utilized, an extremely important & radical discovery/invention that eliminates ignition issues with large volume cases, boosts velocity 100-150 fps without creating overpressure issues that blow primer pockets out, something that standard cases are plagued with

so all in all ..... the stuff that we have been doing with our large capacity case designs and bombarding manufacturers with requests and ideas... has indeed spurred reactions and some pretty cool inventions have blossomed

remember King Tut ? he got buried with all his wealth in order to use it in the afterlife... did he succeed ?

so what if a barrel burns out ? y'all act like it's supposed to last an eternity, what are your plans for it ? get buried with it ?
gang up with Constantine in Hell and hunt down demons ? or if lucky enough, shoot ELR in Heaven with the angels ?

can't take any of our junk with us, burn a barrel, toss it and screw on another
I see success ahead in your endeavors, looking forward to it's completion. I too would love to shoot ELR in heaven with the angels. :)

Wonder what kind of magic this combined with the absolute hammer could get for velocity. That's some serious flat shooting and got me thinking about buying a factory RUM just to have this done.

Do you know the water grains capacity?

^^^^
What he said.

It looks like we are on the same quest for a big 30. I'm using the 300 RUM case and modifying it to the max, so the 30 Texan has a powder capacity of 125.9 (Usable capacity with bullets seated to mag length, 117.5) Still in the testing stage but performance so far has exceeded my expectations.

J E CUSTOM

...and RCC's proprietary anvil/cup/ignition structure is utilized, an extremely important & radical discovery/invention that eliminates ignition issues with large volume cases, boosts velocity 100-150 fps without creating overpressure issues that blow primer pockets out, something that standard cases are plagued with..
I researched RCC's website and could find nothing about this ignition system. Also completed a generic Google search.

Is there an online source of information on this design feature of the RCC case?

Optimal barrel length ? I don't like hunting with anything over 28"

I researched RCC's website and could find nothing about this ignition system. Also completed a generic Google search.

Is there an online source of information on this design feature of the RCC case?
Call Robert @ RCC and he'll explain. They almost make a concave domed web area, it decreases capacity by a notable amount compared to standard brass(73gr RCC vs 78gr Norma 300wsm) but it supposedly creates a stronger case head, handles psi better. I had a fairly disappointing experience with some RCC brass recently. To the point I think their brass was no better than federal. Just my experiences......

case capacity hasn't been finalized and it's something we can control by tweaking the case, will see when the pat. pending ATB internals are applied

Highdrum : are you certain you had the hammer forged c272 brass with the ATB design in the cases you had issues with ? maybe you had the c260 conventional brass cases ?

An unmodified 500 Nitro Express (3.00" version) case only holds about 145-150gr of H20, depending on your source. Necking it down and trimming it 2.850", the length of a 300 RUM case, is going to reduce that capacity no matter what the shoulder angle or case taper is. It looks like the 300 VODKA has at least a .300" neck, so if you neck down a 500 Nitro, give it a 40° shoulder, minimum case taper, and a .300" neck you give up a lot of that 145-150gr capacity of the parent case. Now adjust for the different internal case web dimensions for a rimless case and you'd be in the 135-140gr capacity range. That's still plenty of powder space to get some impressive numbers, but it's not like this is a massive case or anything. It's a cool design, but nothing groundbreaking or unheard of before.

At 142grns its AT LEAST 20grns more than 7.82warbird and 30-378 correct?

20 grains and the bullet seated as far as possible out (long throat) at equal pressures as 30-378 and 30-378 means

3400-3500fps is attainable with a 245 grain bullet
a few things to consider ....

the concept behind the 300 Vodka is to surpass the capacity of the 300 RUM without needing a larger more costly action, with Remington 700 and similar tenon size actions you simply plunk the reamer in and you're having 15-18 gr more powder space, there's guys out there improving the Wby & Rum cases for few grains more, Wby & Rum brass requires work and culling, then primer pockets get loose after a couple full tilt loads .....

custom reamer cost is the same ...... gun smithing and gun parts costs the exact same .....while brass will be more expensive initially... it will be offset by having the ability to be reloaded 20+ times at full pressures, without having to neck up/down or fireform anything, every single piece of brass is identical in length, weight, internal volume and concentricity in case roundness the entire length of case, no neck turning as cases are precisely matched to chamber dimensions

I realize a lot of folks get awestruck or disgusted at the idea of necking down the 500 Nitro Express to 30 caliber, their minds have been conditioned to believe that the 500 NE is some sort of massive case and only crazy people would attempt this

not too long ago similar instances occurred and the ignorant.. naw, lets say uneducated (I call them "Gundummies") reacted in same finger pointing/wagging fashion, possibly wetting their drawers in horror

let's see if you can follow

404 Jeffery = 300 RUM
416 Rigby = 378 Wby & kids, 338 Lapua Mag
505 Gibbs = 408, 375 & 338 Chey Tac

now here's something to think about .... the case web diameter of the 500 NE /300 Vodka/Razor/Headhunter is roughly in between the 404 Jeff/300 Rum and the 416 Rigby/338 Lapua

in my personal findings In working with the 300 WSM, 300 Win Mag, 300 Wby, 300 LRC, 300 LRH, 300 RUM, 30-378 Wby and 7.82 Warbird ..... is that in 30 caliber ....anything much over 125-130 gr of h20 capacity doesn't significantly improve velocities regardless of powder or bullet weight used, it's too much of a good thing and creates more issues than improvements given our current selections of propellants and primers,

the "300 V" (as it was originally named), the case design incorporates refinements... the internals specifically ... the web cup area is thickened significantly and RCC's proprietary anvil/cup/ignition structure is utilized, an extremely important & radical discovery/invention that eliminates ignition issues with large volume cases, boosts velocity 100-150 fps without creating overpressure issues that blow primer pockets out, something that standard cases are plagued with

so all in all ..... the stuff that we have been doing with our large capacity case designs and bombarding manufacturers with requests and ideas... has indeed spurred reactions and some pretty cool inventions have blossomed

remember King Tut ? he got buried with all his wealth in order to use it in the afterlife... did he succeed ?

so what if a barrel burns out ? y'all act like it's supposed to last an eternity, what are your plans for it ? get buried with it ?
gang up with Constantine in Hell and hunt down demons ? or if lucky enough, shoot ELR in Heaven with the angels ?

can't take any of our junk with us, burn a barrel, toss it and screw on another

As I see it the 300vodka is the natural evolution upwards for 230 and 245 bullets
The next evolutionary step will be a shortened long necked 505gibbs based cartridge

Or

A shortened long neck long throat 50CALIBER CASE WITH A SHARP SHOULDER AND 150 GRAINS CAPACITY OF retumbo-h50bmg-h870-8700.

In a 30-34" barrel....

At 68000 to 70000 psi

I wish you would quit making me drool with all this talk of velocity and heavy bullets and sub-MOA groups with something I can't afford and may possibly be able to live without. Well, hell, I guess I'll just have to sell my 10 gauge and a few pistols. I want one!

At 142grns its AT LEAST 20grns more than 7.82warbird and 30-378 correct?

20 grains and the bullet seated as far as possible out (long throat) at equal pressures as 30-378 and 30-378 means

3400-3500fps is attainable with a 245 grain bullet

As I see it the 300vodka is the natural evolution upwards for 230 and 245 bullets
The next evolutionary step will be a shortened long necked 505gibbs based cartridge

Or

A shortened long neck long throat 50CALIBER CASE WITH A SHARP SHOULDER AND 150 GRAINS CAPACITY OF retumbo-h50bmg-h870-8700.

In a 30-34" barrel....

At 68000 to 70000 psi

The 30-378 is around 135gr capacity. The Vodka case isn't going to have a huge case capacity advantage over cases discussed, just a different way of getting there. Like Swamplord mentioned, the 500 Nitro case isn't as big as many people think. I tend to think the actual capacity of the VODKA is closer to the high 120gr range.