300 Varminter Drop and Windage Chart for 600 yards

J.E. the reason I wanted this type of rifle was because I had been seeing what my buddies 308 Win was doing to varmints with 110grn V-Max out to 500 yards. It was devastating on squirrels out to that range, and I wanted to find a combo that would give me power, accuracy and velocity. I then read about Richard's 300 Varminter and it's special design using the 1-15 twist barrel and the velocity the 300 Varminter was attaining.

Because I was not going to use this rifle as a high volme varmint rig it seemed like the perfect rifle for my needs and range requirement of at least 800 yards with the lighter varmint bullets. The 300 Varminter is capable of pushing the 110grn V-Max at 4150fps, however, I will not push it that hard. I will probably push the 110grn V-Max to 3950fps and the 125 BT to around 3850fps. These velcities will keep the pressures down and allow for more brass life.

I have orderd a second barrel for this rifle so it will be a switch barrel rig. I have ordered a Bartlien 30", .30 Cal, 1-10 twist, 1.250 straight cyinder barrel. The barrel will be chambered for a Match Chambered 300 WSM with a .337 tight neck and throated for the 190grn to 210grn VLD bullets. Frank, at Bartlien said their 1-10 twist barrel is shootig the 190 to 210 bullets very well.I was going to build a separate .30cal for using the VLD type bullets. However, buy turnging the 300 Varminter into a switch barrel rig it will give me the best of both worlds. I will use the Bartlein 1-15 twsit with the 110grn V-Max and 125grn BT for shots out to 600 yards and then switch to the 1-10 twist with the 190grn Beger VLD, 210grn Berger VLD or 208grn A-Max for the shots from 800 to 2000 yards.

It should be a an awesome rifle for short and long rang varmint hunting applications. Many varmint hunters at my shooting range a using the 300 WSM for long range varmint hunting past 1000 yards. It seems like it is getting popular like the 6.5x284 did. There are shooters reporting that a 300 WSM with a custom barrel and 30" barrels are pushing the 210grn bullet at 3000fps. I have heard the Berger 190GRN VLD and 210grn VLD are performing very well out of the 300 WSM and is an awesome long range varmint combo. I have heard the 208grn A-Max are also performing very well too. I am leaning toward using one of the Bergers.

W.

Wildcat

Sounds like a hell of a plan to me.

I have never had a switch barrel rig before except the contender
pistol setup because I did'nt know how repeatable they would be
after a barrel change. ( If the zero would stay the same ).

I do like the WSM's and the WSSM's but never though about loading
them to that level, My favorite is the 7mmWSM and the 6mmWSSM.

Thanks for the response
J E CUSTOM

J.E. the reason I wanted this type of rifle was because I had been seeing what my buddies 308 Win was doing to varmints with 110grn V-Max out to 500 yards. It was devastating on squirrels out to that range, and I wanted to find a combo that would give me power, accuracy and velocity. I then read about Richard's 300 Varminter and it's special design using the 1-15 twist barrel and the velocity the 300 Varminter was attaining.

Because I was not going to use this rifle as a high volme varmint rig it seemed like the perfect rifle for my needs and range requirement of at least 800 yards with the lighter varmint bullets. The 300 Varminter is capable of pushing the 110grn V-Max at 4150fps, however, I will not push it that hard. I will probably push the 110grn V-Max to 3950fps and the 125 BT to around 3850fps. These velcities will keep the pressures down and allow for more brass life.

I have orderd a second barrel for this rifle so it will be a switch barrel rig. I have ordered a Bartlien 30", .30 Cal, 1-10 twist, 1.250 straight cyinder barrel. The barrel will be chambered for a Match Chambered 300 WSM with a .337 tight neck and throated for the 190grn to 210grn VLD bullets. Frank, at Bartlien said their 1-10 twist barrel is shootig the 190 to 210 bullets very well.I was going to build a separate .30cal for using the VLD type bullets. However, buy turnging the 300 Varminter into a switch barrel rig it will give me the best of both worlds. I will use the Bartlein 1-15 twsit with the 110grn V-Max and 125grn BT for shots out to 600 yards and then switch to the 1-10 twist with the 190grn Beger VLD, 210grn Berger VLD or 208grn A-Max for the shots from 800 to 2000 yards.

It should be a an awesome rifle for short and long rang varmint hunting applications. Many varmint hunters at my shooting range a using the 300 WSM for long range varmint hunting past 1000 yards. It seems like it is getting popular like the 6.5x284 did. There are shooters reporting that a 300 WSM with a custom barrel and 30" barrels are pushing the 210grn bullet at 3000fps. I have heard the Berger 190GRN VLD and 210grn VLD are performing very well out of the 300 WSM and is an awesome long range varmint combo. I have heard the 208grn A-Max are also performing very well too. I am leaning toward using one of the Bergers.

W.

I would also question how repeatable is the head space over time with a switch barrel rifle.

Once the shoulder and chamber are cut to the correct headspace for a given receiver headspace isnt a problem on a switchbarrel IMO.

As long as you dont do anything silly like picking up the wrong recoil lug and putting it in there when you switch barrels:) I think I am going to have the recoil lugs pinned on any new switch barrel rigs I have built. I almost made that mistake, kinda scared me. I wonder what would happen to a 243AI with about .030 extra headspace. (one recoil lug was factory the other was an aftermarket piece.)

Gritt,

The 200 gr ULD RBBT is a big game bullet, as such, it is not designed to come apart. At long range, outside say 1000 yards, I would suspect you would not get ALOT of dramatic pops but the bullet is large enough and fasta enough that you should not have any problem anchoring the biggest P dog out there!!!

That said, again I will say that the big 7mm is not intended to be a varmint round. Many say they will only shoot them on a limited basis at varmints. I have been there and said that as well. THen you line up on a P. dog at 1400 yards and land a bullet right next to it, that one goes down but there is another at roughly the same range, you know the hold and send another and if you do not hit, you come very close and again and again and before you know it your smelling hit stocks material and calling me for a new barrel.

Second thought, go ahead and shoot varmints with the rifle when you get it!!! :D

Kirby Allen(50)

jwp475,

I build alot of switch barrel rifles, on each I put a reference point in the receiver and the barrel and instruct the customers to torque the barrels to this point and no more and to always make sure the threads are perfectly clean before installing and to use a quality moly based grease on the threads but just as importantly on the contact faces of the receiver, lug and barrel shoulder or any combo that is appropriate for the specific rifle in hand.

This greatly reduces wear on the threads and contact surfaces and if not over torqued, the head space will remain consistant for a lifetime of normal use.

Head space is a critical aspect of safe firearm function, especially with modern high pressure chamberings. That said, if you knew the head space spec in most factory rifles, many would probably never shoot one yet there are very few instances where you have a problem because of this.

I have measured factory rifles with headspace measurements 5, 10 and even 15 thou over what their max should be and all still function fine, there was obviously case stretching on the first firing but after that with proper resizing they functioned perfectly well. Just sloppy machining but my point is that even if the head space increases by a few thou would be ALOT of wear from installing the barrels, you will likely never see any change in function.

Again, close enough is never a good attitude but just a point that shows that headspace is often not as critical as many would think. Just shows how sloppy factory rifles are.

On a properly built custom rifle, I suspect you could easily remove and install a barrel 100 times and see no more then a thou or so change in HS measurement. That is if its removed and installed correctly all 100 times.

Kirby Allen(50)

jwp475,

IOn a properly built custom rifle, I suspect you could easily remove and install a barrel 100 times and see no more then a thou or so change in HS measurement. That is if its removed and installed correctly all 100 times.

Kirby Allen(50)

Depending on the owner that could be a big if...

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.