300 Ultra twist rate?

Huntaholic

Darryl, do you think my accuracy might improve by increasing the distance from ogive to lands? I am getting consistent
.5 to .75 groups at .005 off the lands.
This is about as good as it has done with the exception of a 165gr. HPBT break-in load that was way TOO HOT!

[ 03-07-2003: Message edited by: Huntaholic ]

Try to back it off and see what happens. Some shoot into the lands and some off. The 308 Bears I've had like it as far out as .055" off the lands.

Just can't figure them out sometimes.

Later
DC

Are ALL remington senderos in 300 ultra a 1 in 10 twist? Im asking because with mine, it seems to like lighter bullets better regardless of powder choice. I was really wanting this gu nto shoot a 200 or 220 SMK but it seems to prefer a puny little 165 SHBT! The only reason I know this is because I used them for break in loads and my groups were better! In the 200gr. SMK's Ive tried RL22, RL25, IMR 7828, H-1000 and Retumbo seated .005 off the lands. Should I try backing farther off the lands to see if accuracy improves?
The 200gr. bullets shoot ok, the 180 gr. bullets shoot better, and the 165's shot the best! HELP! This aint what I bought this critter for!

Hello Hunt

I believe they were all 10 twist barrels from the factory.

My 10 twist 30 cals shoot the bullets you mentioned too. Even the 168 gr.

Good Luck to you.

The reason your gun won't shoot the heavy bullets as well is probably because of the anemic stock recoil lug and subsequent lack of control (stock to action). Spend 50 bucks on an aftermarket recoil lug, and then have a professional bed the action properly, problem solved.
wink.gif

S1,you might be on to something there! I bedded the recoil lug and action before ever firing the first shot, but I imagine it could be recoil lug flex causing the "average" groups. Could this also explain why groups tend to open up horizontally more so than vertically? Some groups with some loads might only be .3 to .5 vertically, but be 1" plus on a horizontal plane. Hmmmmmmm, very thought provoking!

[ 03-09-2003: Message edited by: Huntaholic ]

If you bed a Rem.UM with the stock recoil lug and shoot heavy bullets near max pressure you will have problems. Even if the gun shoots well at first, it won't shoot well over the long haul. The flex will degrade the bedding over time. That recoil lug was never designed for the recoil load of an UM in a precisely bedded environment.

The vast majority of rifles with free floated barrels that horizontally string in light winds have a mechanical control issue with the rifle or sights, not the ammo.
wink.gif

[ 03-09-2003: Message edited by: S1 ]

Backing it off the lands ten thousanths wasnt the solution. Groups opened up some in fact. I shot a 5/16" 3 shot group with it today with another load back at .005 off, unfortunately, those three were in a string of 5
frown.gif
which blew the group out to a little over an inch.
frown.gif
This was with 200gr. SMK and 96.4 gr. Retumbo.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.