300 ultra mag

bobthecranker

I've been shooting retumbo powder with Burger 185 VLD with good success, But as most of us do were aways looking for some thing a bit better. Any advise on what a person may use to get under a 1/2" MOA.

I have been using H1000 to push the 230 Match Hybrid Target bullets out of one our 300 Ultra's a ton this year so far. These bullets are crazy accurate, not to mention all the other upsides of a 30 cal bullet with a B.C. Of .743!!!

Hello,

I have a 300 Ultra mag being chambered as we speak. Barrel is a heavier Krieger 29 inch with a Vais muzzlebrake, 1-11 twist. I will be shooting Swift 180 grain bullets for hunting in this weapon. An experienced reloader, I realize Fed. 215 primers are indicated for this extremely large case and have quantities of H1000 and RE22 powders available. Reading a web site in which over a dozen shooters were pro claiming their weapons in this caliber shot less than 5/8" led me to dismiss that information entirely.

I will be shooting this weapon nearly daily from the prone to 800 yards on our range prior to my hunt in late October. I would appreciate all those little tips that would cut down the time spent developing the most accurate load on my benchrest. Loadings, seating etc. would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Gene S.

My favorite load for my almost stock (I adjusted the trigger and glass bed it my self) 26" barreled Rem 700 LSS in 300RUM is 94grs Retumbo Fed 215 primers with 200gr Accubonds @ 3200fps.

I have a Leupold VX3 4.5-14X B&C reticle scope mounted with Leupold standard 2 piece bases and rings.

I am not a long range shooter limit my shots to 500 - 600 yards.

Here are a couple of pics of when I first put the load together I know that for some of you long range guys with your expensive set ups these groups may not be all that great but they work for me... :)

I'm trying to get to the range either today or tomorrow need to double check zero = I'm heading up Sunday evening Sept 9 into alpine for opening day mule deer on Monday morning.

Oh yeah can hardly wait... :D

100 yard group

img_9200.jpg

300 yard group

img_9196.jpg

Hello MOki,

Thanks for this good info which reassures me I am on the right track. I took my rifle to our range which runs to 800 yards here and using my chronograph, which has set in a bag for twelve years, found that starting loads of 86 grains of H1000 gave me 3,124 fps. I have an old Krieger 29 inch barrel that I used formerly for long range benchrest and it now has a Vais muzzlebrake. At the first shot with this humungous cartridge all the cattle feeding along side the target range disappeared into the junipers.

I increased the loads and found the velocity jumps were consistent. At 95 grains I noted very flat primers and 3,425 fps . 96 gave me the ejector impression on the base and that is where I stopped and will be using 95 from now on. It was 87 degrees when shooting so cooler temperatures will allowa larger margin of safety.

I formerly had this barrel chambered in a wildcat of my design using RWS brass and it was very efficient, achieving Weatherby like published ballistics. I replaced my old brass with new RWS brass and it is much inferior. Thus the conversion to the 300 RUM.

MY hunt does not start until late October and I look forward to shooting this on the range and getting to know much more about trajectory and wind drift. Thus, if I do take a 800 yard shot the chances for success will be enhanced. I hope I do not have to do it.

I attended the PLR-1 Long range school at Whittington, NM and we ended up shooting in hunting terrain as far as 1,280 yards and I did manage to hit that 12 x 15 steel plate 3 times in a row at the distance with my 6.5 x 284. I also noted the wind drift exceeded 8 feet and was fortunate to find a white rock in the embankment that worked perfectly as an aiming point. I noted the 300 magnums, when they did finally manage to hit that plate really moved it around. This was shooting of course, and not real hunting, when first shot accuracy is totally necessary.

Thank you for your information,

Gene S.

Can't remember the load right now might of been RL25 but I used to shoot 180gr Scirroco's @ 3380fps swapped up to the .588 200gr Accubonds & 200gr A-Frames @ 3200fps both shoot to appr the same zero out to 300 yards.

My son used this combo and put a 200gr A-Frame lengthwise thru a 8' grizzly @ appr 200 yards.

Retumbo and 210 hunting VLD's with a mag primer was a GREAT combo in my RUM. it beat me a little but if you want to buck wind and stretch them bullets out to a mile it is a killer combo.

I just checked my ballistic calculator the 210 VLD has a .631 BC with a muzzle velocity of 3150fps it drops 1" more @ 1000 yards than the .588 200gr Accubond @ 3200fps.

I'll stick with my Accubond loads... :cool:

I just checked my ballistic calculator the 210 VLD has a .631 BC with a muzzle velocity of 3150fps it drops 1" more @ 1000 yards than the .588 200gr Accubond @ 3200fps.

I'll stick with my Accubond loads... :cool:
while that is pretty close I had the 210's going 3308fps run that on the ballistics calculator. I doubt that you will get the accubonds to fly at that speed. and the amount of wind bucking ability is hands down in favor of the berger over the accubond. either way I do have to say that it's an A vs A+ imho.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts