300 ultra mag reloading info

I bought a lot of factory ammo when it started to fall out of favor and some one was trying to dump it and it's not a prairie dog so I still have some left. I haven't reloaded it for years. I was on an elk hunt in January and I helped field dress a cow shot with a Barnes .300 RUM 180gr. TSX. I was impressed with the wound channel. I looked it up and found some at really good prices. I didn't buy any, but at that price, I if I needed some, I would have gotten it. If you shop around, you can find ammo for not much more than reloading. I'm a die hard reloader, but if I can find quality ammo that cheap, I'll try it. Oh by the way, my last reloads were with AA 8700. Good luck finding some.
I have an unopened pound ! Lol

I'm shooting Cutting Edge 200 grn MTH with 90 grns Retumbo and getting velocity of 3145. Shot a 7/8" group at 400 yds last weekend. Gonna take it out to 700 yards this weekend if we don't have any wind.

If you want to try a slower powder and cannot find Retumbo, IMR8133 or VihtaVuori N570 might give good results, particularly with bullets in the +200gr range. If possible I'd get some better brass than the Rem stuff. You'll save prep time and get more turns on your brass in the long run.

007 -
Nosler guide 8 for 300 Ultra Mag lists N560 for 190s and N170 for 200 grain bullets. Do you know how N570 compares.

If possible I'd get some better brass than the Rem stuff. You'll save prep time and get more turns on your brass in the long run.
I've used Remington brass since 2000. Seven firings in the first cases I had. I now have 500 or so cases with various firings to brand new. Not a thing wrong with the Remington brass except finding it. mtmuley

I've used Remington brass since 2000. Seven firings in the first cases I had. I now have 500 or so cases with various firings to brand new. Not a thing wrong with the Remington brass except finding it. mtmuley
I like Rem brass too ! I Have tried Nosler , Norma and Federal also. I like Nosler but case capacity is a little less than Rem. and a little harder also. I'll never by Norma again. Case capacity low (thick) and I couldn't get my primers seated deep enough. Pocket too shallow ? Never had that problem with any brass. And did I say they were expensive ? I used Federal cases many years ago. I just found 60 in my giant box of brass the other day. I'm going to trim them and give them a try. They were marked once fired so could of been factory . Rem cases are very consistent in weight also
Same as Nosler and Norma.
I just did a case volume test. I used W748 powder instead of water. Didn't want to waste primers. I tapped down to settle. I was surprised ...
Rem. 120.0 grs.
Nosler 121.0 grs.
Norma 119.5 grs.
Federal 119.0 grs.
Those are the only 300 RUM cases I have. I used caliper to make sure they were same length .
Ave. weights :
Rem. 271 grs.
Nosler 277 grs.
Norma 288 grs.
Federal 278 grs.

Last edited:
007 -
Nosler guide 8 for 300 Ultra Mag lists N560 for 190s and N170 for 200 grain bullets. Do you know how N570 compares.
N570 is slowest . Then N565 then N560 so on. If I remember correctly N170 was slowest but the 5xx series are temp insensitive/stable . And has de copper agent. Rhett Crider to the rescue !
Answer for me !

Last edited:
I'm wrong on burn rate. This is correct.
N550 N160 N560 N165 N170 N565 N570. Faster to slowest
I also added case volumes and weights in two posts above.

Last edited:
Sounds like one shot per brass then throw it away, because primer pockets expanded. Lol
Google Nosler .300 RUM load data, that speed is legit with that powder. His rifle is just different than others and required more than theirs. I've had that happen plenty, as well as the other direction with powder charges. Had a max load for a rifle that was a starting load according to "book".

Google Nosler .300 RUM load data, that speed is legit with that powder. His rifle is just different than others and required more than theirs. I've had that happen plenty, as well as the other direction with powder charges. Had a max load for a rifle that was a starting load according to "book".
My rifle shot Barnes 180 TSX and TTSX way over any manuals max loads before pressure signs. They chrono'ed at 3360 fps. I had a CDS turret made for my Leupold VX6 and one for a Berger 185 VLD at 3385. Both with Retumbo. I shot them for about 6 years. Finally came down 2 grains on Berger and 3 grains on Barnes. Now turrets are obsolete ! Working on a couple others now ! I dont even think it's worth while but trying to out do accuracy and fps with N570, RL26 and RL33. Giving up on IMR 8133.
Using 200 to 215 grain bullets now.