300 ultra mag load options

gunsmith89

I just recently picked up and stainless model 70 300 ultra mag I couldn't pass up the deal on. I definitely did not need it but with the price and the fact that I have been starting to plan a moose hunt that will hopefully transpire in the next few years in AK or Canada.

I have been looking at loading with the 180gr TTSX or potentially 175gr lrx from barnes but would be open to anything. The guy used the Barnes Vor-TX 180 factory and said they shot better then anything else he tried.

I wouldn't mind using the gun for a mule deer hunt or elk hunt as well to keep it from collecting too much dust in the room. That said would like to load a bullet that will not grenade inside 100-200 yards if possible but still have the power for moose or brown bear.

Looking at other posts I do have RL-25, 22 and Retumbo as well as many others that would work.

I love the 300 RUM! I'm glad you got a hold of one! I've had mine for quite a few years. I bought mine brand new in 2005. I have the Remington Sendero. It has done very well for me.I know that all rifles are different and like different combinations of powders and bullets. I got lucky with mine when I first started load development. I started with the 200gr. Accubond bullet and IMR 7828 with Fed. 215 primers. This combination turned out to be really good for me and it has served me well through the years. I don't know if that helps, but I know you will find a load for it!

Attachments

• D7DDA9C9-F35F-4EB1-A158-0A681003BE2B.jpeg
    D7DDA9C9-F35F-4EB1-A158-0A681003BE2B.jpeg
    81.4 KB · Views: 212
Barnes will definitely hold together up close. For a couple years i ran the LRX @ 3300 FPS. very minimal meat damage along with full pass throughs with great terminal performance all the way out to 800 yards.

i would give retumbo the nod over the other powders. it has proven to be MUCH more stable across temperature extremes in my own personal experiences.

If you do decide to run the alliant powder - and find a load close to max pressure, i would be careful in hot temps. they can turn dangerous in the summer months if you load to max in the winter.

Barnes will definitely hold together up close. For a couple years i ran the LRX @ 3300 FPS. very minimal meat damage along with full pass throughs with great terminal performance all the way out to 800 yards.

i would give retumbo the nod over the other powders. it has proven to be MUCH more stable across temperature extremes in my own personal experiences.

If you do decide to run the alliant powder - and find a load close to max pressure, i would be careful in hot temps. they can turn dangerous in the summer months if you load to max in the winter.
Would you think the 175 LRX hold up as well as the 180's?

230 Berger H1000 Fed215M 2913 FPS RUM 1
200 Accubond Ramshot Magnum Fed 215m 3151 FPS RUM 2

Both rifles could be pushed harder, but they are both .5 MOA or less at 1k yards.
200 AB holds up very well on elk from 100-500 yards. Haven't shot anything closer or further than that. I previously shot 180 grainers out of RUM 2, but I liked the way the 200 plus bullets hit steel at 1k yards.

I love the 300 RUM! I'm glad you got a hold of one! I've had mine for quite a few years. I bought mine brand new in 2005. I have the Remington Sendero. It has done very well for me.I know that all rifles are different and like different combinations of powders and bullets. I got lucky with mine when I first started load development. I started with the 200gr. Accubond bullet and IMR 7828 with Fed. 215 primers. This combination turned out to be really good for me and it has served me well through the years. I don't know if that helps, but I know you will find a load for it!
Forgot to mention that this bull was taken at over 800 yards.

Forgot to mention that this bull was taken at over 800 yards.
Beautiful bull! I just got back from WY and had a couple encounters and should have had a nice bull but came home with cow. My reach isn't usually that far with my recurve but I have west river SD coming up in a little over a month so my 6.5x284 should make up for it iand help me to keep filling the freezer. We were starting to look dangerously low but luckily the cow will taste great and we can hopefully connect on a few deer.

Attachments

• IMG_4766.JPG
    IMG_4766.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 169
I have shot the Barnes 200 gr LRX out of my win mag and it is a very good bullet, I can't see how more horsepower would hurt it? Especially if you want it for Moose and Bears?

Berger 230 or 215 retumbo start at 90.5 and work up. Shoot placement is the key and if you do want to shoot long range you have an amazing long range caliber and bullet combo.
Why use a 300 RUM with a light bullet and blazing speed? It has never made sense to me. Use the heavy for caliber bullet it slows it down to not go explosive.

If you want deep penetration for moose sized game, stick with a good bonded core or partitioned bulled. My choice would probably be the 200 AccuBond, because I've had no problem getting AccuBond a to shoot great, and have struggled with the Nosler partitions in some guns. Personally I am not a fan of the copper solids. I used them one time and had, what I would consider, a complete bullet failure. All four petal broke, leaving a perfectly round 308 slug to penetrate. The copper itself will not expand. The bullet only opens up because of the nose design. In my case that failed. I'd imagine this happens more often than people know, since most solids penetrate all the way through and are never recovered. Then again, mine could have been one in a million. Many people have great success with solids, but I would put my money on 200 AccuBond for accuracy, reliable expansion, weight retention and penetration. One guys opinion.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.