300 Ultra at 1000 Yards

Brent

Hey guys, I'll probably be getting a 300 Ultra tomarrow. So I was wondering if you could throw out a few loads with different bullets, also their velocity and MOA for 1000 yard zero your using. Figured a few of you could help with this at the 1000 yard mark. This will give me an idea of a more realistic drop chart to start from.

I'm not sure of the twist on the Remington SS laminated stock rifle but will a 220gr SMK stabilize? If so I'll pick some up for load development. All I have right now are some lightweights, 150's and 165's for the 308 win in Barnes, Swift and Sierra.

Thanks.

Would have little doubt that your barrel is a 1 in 10 twist. This will stabilize any 30cal bullet you want to shoot.

Refer to the Hodgdon and accuratereloading website for load info. For the heavy bullets, you are going to get your best performance from slow powders. I would suggest RE 25, Retumbo, H870 then IMR 7828 and H1000. I am using H870 and launching 240gr MK.

With normal scope set up, you will need around 20 min of elevation to go to 1000yds from a 100yd zero.

Enjoy,

Jerry

Thanks Jerry.

AR and the manuals do not have the MOA to zero at 1000 yards or velocity and bullet type I'm after. If any of you can offer all this specific info, that would be great.

I have some RE22 to start some load work but will try some of the others later when I can get a good amount. My brother may have some H870 but I heard they quit making it so why start down that road then.

Jerry what is your speed with the 240 MK and is it 20 MOA exactly?

Headed out the door to go pick up this boomstick right now.

If I may jump in here before you buy. I do not have the 1000 yard experience that Jerry or the others have BUT I do have experience with throwing good money after bad on a Rem Sendero SF thinking I could turn it into a long-ranger. Hell I couldn't even turn it into a short ranger with Nightforce optics, Jewel Trigger, bedding, Vias, squaring, trueing,gunsmiths,endless load development, neck turning on and on. I finally started from scratch and built my own 300 Ultra with Krieger, Jewel, Nesika,Shehane, tight-neck etc and a great gunsmith. This thing makes little bitty holes and is a joy to shoot. You said you were going to buy tomorrow so I assume a factory rig. You might get lucky but a custom rig is not that much more (give your wife a ood anniversary present).

Brent
I don't have a ultra mag but i do have a Rem. Sendero in 300 win mag. This is a standard rifle no gunsmith work to it except it is getting a Jewell trigger installed this weekend.I have shot at 600 yards and shot groups consistantly 2 inches and lower. My best is 1 1/8".I agree some standard rifles aren't made for long range accuracy but sometimes there is just a bad one in the bunch or several bad ones.I have a 8x32 x56 NXS nightforce on this rig and wouldn't trade it for a custom one just yet.You just have to see what it can do. I would rather spend $500 versus $2000 and see what it can do before i buy a custom. This is not a knock on custom guns by any means it just that some standard rifles can shoot too.
Matt

Matt I'm not trying to pick a fight here but I can recall the number of other Remington owners that responded in kind back when I was frustrated with mine. Many with much worse stories than mine but most complained of the famous eccentric chamber. I had a buddy with a relatively stock Sendero that shot very well who delighted in teasing me about mine. I performed each step one at a time (bedding, rebedding, bedding bases, rings, action truing, trigger,loads, loads, loads) and wound up wasting 9 months of my time. My first group with the custom gun during break-in was the best group I've ever shot in my life and it keeps getting better. There is a smallbore that I have wanted to build for over a year now....I'll wait until I can afford another custom. Will you get a good factory gun????maybe, probably, but if not it is sure no fun.

august
I am too not trying to pick a fight. I just wanted to simply state that if someone doesn't not have the funds to afford a custom some factory guns will suit there needs as long as they don't expect one hole groups long range is all. I just don't like to see things said that aren't always true and discourage someone from tyring.I am going to build a 300 lapua mag and have my sendero worked on. I see the beauty in custom and i am at the point of needing more like you are.Sometimes there is just a bad bunch out there in all manufacturing ie: cars. I love fords but know they can make junk also. Alot of variables in manufacturing.Quality is not at its peak in mass produced but sometimes there is just a lot of something that just works.Maybe my gun is one of them but who knows. Good shooting and make some more one hole groups.
Matt

I also tried the route of buying the Sendero 300 Ultra with dismal results. I'm happy to say I got my money back out of that deal...

Matt27, tell me the specifics of your .300 Lapua. I too am having one made (.338 Lapua necked to .308).

Matt,

I having the following 30/338 Lapua built for me:

a Nesika M action, Nesika 30 minute tapered scope base, 32" Lilja 3 groove 11 twist barrel, Jewell trigger, HS Precision tactical stock with HS removable box magazine, custom brake and a NightForce 5.5-22x56 in NightForce rings.

I labored over choosing each of the individual components. If you need input on your design, I'd be happy to help...

Brent, Haven't measured the vel yet but the load uses 98 to 99gr H870 to launch 240gr MK. Would expect 3100 to 3200fps based on others experience.

The elevation was a ballpark figure. It is probably less then 20Min that is needed.

Re22 may be a little fast but there is only one way to find out. Retumbo is getting some positive feedback so may be a good alternative. Of course, there is WCC872 surplus which you can buy for cheap.

Good luck...
Jerry

Brent, how long is the barrel? My 26" A-Bolt gives 2978 with the 240 launched by 99 grains of H870. That's as hot as I can go and still shoot it in summer weather.

BTW, mine has a 1:10 twist and it stablizes the 240 just fine.

Congrats on your new rifle!

Brent,I shoot two 300 Ultra's for 1000 yard benchrest......My Heavy gun...(36" 9 twist Krieger) will shoot 240's to the mid 31's with a 90 grain's AND THEN SOME
grin.gif
Of Retumbo.Have not pushed the 240's in my light gun.(30" 10 twist Hart)Both gun's have shot sub moa 10 shot 1000 yard group's....As an add on,my 1st 300 Ultra,a Sendero shot a 13" ten shot 1000 yard group..

[ 11-01-2002: Message edited by: Boyd Heaton ]

STL_Shooter

I haven't quite got it figured out yet.Still in the process of figuring out what i want. Barrel length,throat length action and so on. Just in prelim stages. Probably will go with neseika action. I plan to build it to shoot the 240 sierra match kings with. all i know now will get back with when i figure it all out

Thanks everyone. The action will be used with a custom barrel in the end. The deal was done that night. The gun was like new and the stock will be used on a 721 action a friend gave me when I get a custom lightweight barrel for just toten around on the wheeler and such. The action will be trued and used in a project over the winter with an HS stock in the meantime. The idea was to aquire a SS action for the project and the stock for the 721 and in the meantime shoot the 300 RUM barrel for all it's worth over the winter instead of my 300WM.

I agree 100% on the custom route. Factory barrels just don't compare, at least the vast majority don't anyway.

I went out to 200 yds the day before last with it, looked down the bore, adjusted the scope and fired 3 rds then moved it to the bull. I then fired 5rds of factory 180 Sciroccos, 5rds of factory 180 Partitions. They grouped under 3.5" each.

I had loaded 10 180 Nosler BT's up at 80gr with IMR-4350, which was Noslers most accurate powder and load also just to shoot something else too. It did the best of all of them at 3", still nothing to brag about but it was ten rounds in tree inches with no load development at all yet.

I'm headed back to the range tomarrow with starting loads up to max loads in .2gr increments to find the sweet spot in a couple different bullets. The 180 BT and the 165 Scirocco that are on hand. I mounted a strain gage on it today so I can check psi with the Oehler 43 along the way. I'll be using two sets of skyscreens downrange to check BC's also.

I'll get a good drop chart to start from out of this.

The trigger was already lightened up, that was nice.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.