300 Ultra and 200 Accubond Results

Sorry I dont quite understand what you mean can you explain in more detail? Thanks

When you fire a group with the shots close together, the barrel is heating up and each shot experiences a different environment in the chamber. Then, it sounds like you are letting it cool 20min before going to the next group.

Instead, let it cool 4-5 minutes between each shot. The barrel will cool down near the same temp for each shot and you won't have that 20min wait but will use roughly the same amount of time to do your shooting. Each round will experience nearly the same conditions in the chamber. So your first and last shot in a group are likely to be closer.

Also, if you are shooting several groups and conditions (temp, wind) or barrel heat is changing, your first group for example may look better than the fourth but it has more to do with some other factor than a difference in the reloads. By shooting one shot for each group then going back and repeating, you are averaging any environmental changes across all groups so they should be more comparable. Or if you're getting tired toward the end and not holding as well you'll unfairly punish your last group, but if you are spreading yourself between groups it will be reflected in all groups.

Just to pitch my 2 cents, my remmy 300 rum is the RMEF stainless synthetic bone stock and it really like the 200 accubonds pushed by 89 gr. of RL25. Not the fastest ( avg. 3100 10 ft from the muzzle) but wicked accurate. Best group to date was .27 5 shots at 100. You may want to not chase super speed and look a little lighter for super accurate. That deer at 800 doesn't worry about a hundred feet per second and if you dope it right, the velocity difference shouldn't be an issue
gun)

+1 on ATH's method. I just shot and "broke in" my new Sendero 300RUM and it's first groups were shot 3-4 min between shots. First three went into the same hole and I "choked" on the 4th one and pulled it, about 1/2 low.

Trying to recreate the exact environment is part of being as consistent as you can with all that you can "control".

Well im going to the range tomorrow to see how it goes. Im going to try out some nosler brass also to see if it solves the flyer issue if there is one at all and im going to try the new grouping method. I cant decide if I want to mess with my powder charge or not. What do you guys think?

I would only try one change at a time. It's the only way you'll know for sure if that was the cause. I think you're on the right track with the new grouping method and seeing if the Nosler brass will give you better results. Good luck and let us know.

Yeah I was going to go with 93.5 grs in the nosler brass because I heard the capacity is a little less and thats all im going to try with the nosler. As far as with the Rem brass should I try a couple different charges in .2gr increments or what? I might just go with 94grs for now....

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.