300 SMK Vs 300 SCENAR LAPUA ?

Down Under Hunter

Has anyone evaluated the new 300 Scenar bullet against the SMK in 338 CAL ??

Quoted BC is slightly better in LAP bullet but dont know of quality or performance at range yet.

Cheers

DUH

Both will shoot nearly identical. Both will perform well UNTIL they encounter a game animal where the SMK will perform in a stellar manner and the Lapua will most probably pin hole all the way through.

.......as shown in tests by a LRH poster of some renown...

hmmm, problem.... the scenar tested was a 250gr, not 300gr.

its also been shown that the 250gr SMK doesnt always expand well either, as opposed to the 300SMK which does.

Perhaps the lapua scenar`s, are in teh same boat as the SMK`s.... 300`s work but the 250`s dont???

Does anyone have any info on the 300gr scenar`s performace on game? not much on the net at all...

As well as the 300 SMK has proven to perform on game, I would not bother trying any other bullet, until the BERGER comes out.
IF it aint broke, don't fix it.

true, its just that the lapua`s are cheaper in australia lightbulb

ill see how they go if one unlucky critter decides to wander in front of my reticle sometime soon... :D

Grouper where are you picking them up from. I might be shooting some goats next week with the edge i would give them a go on those just cant find any.:)

Our experience was limited to targets and NOT game..but at first I was also interested because of the stellar reputation of Lapua and the higher listed BC. I loaded to the same COAL and got slightly tighter groups with the Lapua. But, interestingly, we also got approx. 25 FPS higher velocities with same powder charge...Haven't a clue as to why. I was going to use on game and then did a little research on LRH and found that there is a fairly well established consensus that the SMK's are superior when it comes to anchoring game. If I were just target shooting, though, I would consider using them....$.02 30-338

jawz - lapua australia ph 07 3865 2499

price has just gone up, used to be $85per 100... now $109per 100.

cheapest i can get SMK`s for is $510 per 500, unless you can direct me to a cheaper option?

Curious as to what slower velocity the 300smk will still open up. Thinking about animals like carribou.
Is anyone finding it necessary to uniform the tip??

Are they likely to shoot ok from my factory mark v weatherby 340??? Pretty sure it's a 1:10 twist.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.