300 smk vrs berger for 1200 yard max range.

timmyatnop

Iam working on a load with 300 grain otm hybrids. Are the hybrid harder to get to group. And iam trying to get a low es. . Do u guys find that oal effects es more that what bullet is being loaded.

I shoot the bergers through my lapua. .. ill show u a pic when i get back of an elk my gf just shot in rhe spine at 900.. no way an smk could have done what this berger did. Mine group about an inch at 200 . But just gets better the further u get out

Iam working on a load with 300 grain otm hybrids. Are the hybrid harder to get to group. And iam trying to get a low es. . Do u guys find that oal effects es more that what bullet is being loaded.

Every rifle is different. You won't know until you shoot both in your rifle. If it were me though, I would start with the Berger and find a way to make them work.

My factory Rem. 338 Lapua didn't like the 300 Bergers as well as it did the 300 SMK. Enough difference that I switched bullets.

In my .338 EDGE rifles the 300gr SMK and the 300gr Berger shoot about the same out to 1000 or 1200 yds. After that distance the Bergers do quite a bit better in both group size and bullet drop. Gary

I can't speak for the 300 Bergers as I have no first hand experience. I had my .338 Edge before the Bergers came out and have only used the 300 SMK. Even with the slight higher BC I never felt the need to experiment. I get great (consistant) accuracy and on game performance with the 300 SMK. I have shot deer from 50 to 1425 yards and never had them take a step. Also dropped a nice bull elk last weekend in his tracks with a properly place 300 SMK @ 1006 yards (complete pass through, lots of damage).
They are both capable of great accuracy, external ballistics, and terminal performance. Use the one that shoots the best out of your gun.

I'm thinking real hard about weaning myself off the 300 SMK's... I called Sierra yesterday and they tell me that there are none ready to ship, and they can't tell me when they'll be making more.

There are a few boxes here and there of 500, but all the 50 round boxes are gone...

The Sierra tech said they were busy filling military contracts.

The Hornady 285 or Nosler's 300 grain Accubond are both looking better and better... :eek:

Dan

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.