300 SHERMAN MAX

elkaholic

We've discussed the other Max chamberings a bit but haven't said much about the 300. Most of you know that the 300 wsm has set some records from the 1000 yard bench. Well, there are some in the group that think the 300 max could be a better cartridge, especially given better brass.
It has a longer neck than the Whizzem (.314" vs . 298"), less body taper and sharper shoulder and is .085" shorter. It will no doubt equal or beat the wsm velocity as well. We figure 3000' with a 215 in a 26" barrel. Here is a pic with the 215 Berger seated to the lands at 3.090".
This would be excellent chambered in a Defiance XM, tikka, and works very well in a long action too. You could even run it in a 700 SA with a 3.11" Bainey box. What it is is a 300 SS on steroids!
IMG_20190716_132704894.jpg

What is the case capacity compared to the WSM ?
There are some that say the WSM doesn't feed well because of the shoulder, although I haven't had any issues.

Rich I'm actually interested in this case. Can a guy just neck up 7 saum and fireform? I've got a 23" hells canyon summit barrel coming, will be on a Tikka action. Barrel won't be here till Sept, but I was going to run a wsm, however this may be a better choice. Idk if it will outperform the wsm by much in the 23" barrel to warrant the custom dies, brass associated with the wildcat. That's freebore on your reamer, 200-220 or so?

Rich I'm actually interested in this case. Can a guy just neck up 7 saum and fireform? I've got a 23" hells canyon summit barrel coming, will be on a Tikka action. Barrel won't be here till Sept, but I was going to run a wsm, however this may be a better choice. Idk if it will outperform the wsm by much in the 23" barrel to warrant the custom dies, brass associated with the wildcat. That's freebore on your reamer, 200-220 or so?
Yes, you could use saum. Free bore is .150" with a .314" length neck

Yes, you could use saum. Free bore is .150" with a .314" length neck
That neck length and freebore is about the same bearing as a 215 Berger, coincidence? Would a false shoulder need be added to the necked up 7 saum brass for fireforming?

What an interesting coincidence isn't this rich???
I'll make one starting next week. I'll send all to WTO and see how long it will take

Recent Posts