300 sherman build

What nemthunter said.
What side bushing we're you using? I like to leave a few thou slack in the bushing jam nut too so the bushing can center.

I will have to look. Its the way Whidden sent it. I first used it to resize the 270 brass(neck up to .30), hydro formed, and then ran it back through the sizing die again.

When I got my die set I had to order the bushing separate. Mine did not come with the bushing. But then mine was custom one of a kind set. If there is no bushing in the die and the nut that holds the bushing in place is to low it will do that. But as you said you used it to neck up the brass. Its hard to nail it without looking at the die.

I'll get it figured out. This is my first time using bushing dies so i may practice with some 30/06 brass... I have thousands of those! Sure i'm going to loose some until i get it figured out.

I have a redding bushing dies to form 20 vartarg from .223 but i use it with out the guts so never used bushing yet.

I'll get it figured out. This is my first time using bushing dies so i may practice with some 30/06 brass... I have thousands of those! Sure i'm going to loose some until i get it figured out.

I have a redding bushing dies to form 20 vartarg from .223 but i use it with out the guts so never used bushing yet.
You need a bushing! It would neck UP with the 30 expander.

I sent you a message already asking for advise on bushing size but you can respond here if you want. I never thiught about it not coming with the bushing. Just assumed it did.

Whats weird is it sized up but then crushed it after it was hydro formed. What did it hit with no bushing in it? Why didnt it crush it when i necked it up?

I sent you a message already asking for advise on bushing size but you can respond here if you want. I never thiught about it not coming with the bushing. Just assumed it did.

Whats weird is it sized up but then crushed it after it was hydro formed. What did it hit with no bushing in it? Why didnt it crush it when i necked it up?

Did you adjust the de-caper down at all to de-prime the brass after hydro forming?

It actually didnt even deprime it so i wouldn't think it was down to far but again with no bushing i see what you mean. I will take a look and see. I didnt lock any of that down so i may have accidentally adjusted it without knowing it. I did mount it in a different press so my form die would be in the stout rockchucker. I bet i adjusted it down by accident when i screwed it into the other press.
I'll figure out what bushing i need and order it asap. I'll just hydro form them in the mean time.

Last edited:
Yes, the jam nut hits the case neck with no bushing in it. If I remember correctly, you will need a .331" bushing. You can use rcbs and Redding bushings. Once you get the bushing, just unscrew the stem and drop it in with the most beveled side down. You can adjust the jam nut so that you leave a few thou slack and allow the busing to center over the case neck. While doing this, adjust the decapper so the pin sticks out about 3/16" inch below the base of the die. (Just enough so it deprimes. Once you have a case neck sized, load a bullet and measure the neck o d about Midway down the neck. It should measure around .333 with Norma or RWS 270 brass. You might want to get a couple bushings so you can tweak neck tension but normally about .002" fit works well. I.e. .333" neck o d loaded use a .331" bushing.