300 sherman build

So I'm ordering some powder. Hoping to find a temperature stable powder but im not against having summer and winter loads either if the velocity and accuracy is there.
Anyone else with a 300 Sherman pushing heavies? What powders are you using?

300 Sherman
30" Bartlein 1:9
225 ELD-M

Here is the powder list to order so far
IMR 4955
IMR 4831
Norma MRP
RL 22
RL 26
Ramshot Hunter
H4831sc
Hybrid 100v
4000-MR

So I'm ordering some powder. Hoping to find a temperature stable powder but im not against having summer and winter loads either if the velocity and accuracy is there.
Anyone else with a 300 Sherman pushing heavies? What powders are you using?

300 Sherman
30" Bartlein 1:9
225 ELD-M

Here is the powder list to order so far
IMR 4955
IMR 4831
Norma MRP
RL 22
RL 26
Ramshot Hunter
H4831sc
Hybrid 100v
4000-MR
I would add RL23
With the 225 I think RL26 will give top velocity. But 23 might not be too far behind.

Last edited:
On a side note for future reference -

A cheap tool to make for opening up the barrel channel is a few wooden dowels, then get the peel off sticky back grinding disks and put a few on a 20"-30" section. I have a few different sizes for opening up different sized barrel channel. I haven't had to open enough barrel channels yet to make me decide to get a channel cutter....ha ha. Anyway, tag. I like the 300 Sherman cartridge, think it would make fantastic elk medicine.

I have used wooden dowels in the past but seems they have grown legs. I couldn't find them. It actually wasnt bad at all like i thought it would be. I wasn't using a vise. I held it in one hand and sanded with the other. 100 grit made quick work. I thought it was going to take alot more opening than it actually took.

Good list of powders to try. Like rich said 23 will be good also. 22 and mrp were the exact same when I tried them in my 300ss but they are not temp stable. I am glad to see you finish this build after your messages last year inquiring about that and my 300ss. Might want to add rl 16 and/or 17 but 17 hasn't been great for temp for me.

I will def add rl6 & 23. Wasnt going with 17 due to temp issues. I know rl22 has temp swings also but i wasnt aware of it being the same as MRP with your results. I have a couple of weeks to decide what to order. I leave in a few days for 2 weeks to go to work.

Well i want Swarovski x5 5-25x56 but I'm most likely going to get Leupold VX6-HD. I'll just have to see. Depends on how long i can hold out. I have a Vortex PST and a Mark 4 as spares right now so i need to just use one of them for a while and then get the x5.

I run that swaro on my 300 ss and it is amazing!!! I have a couple of the Leupold VX5hd and they are very impressive as well. I have a Mark 5 hd MOA on order right now but no idea when it will actually ship.