300 saum owners please help!

I have both the 7Saum and 300Saum in Rem Mod 7's.

every thing about the 300Saum is easier to find and will be cheaper. And with things like they are right now, it may be a good while before we see 7Saum stuff.

my 300Saum shoots the Hornady precision hunter factory ammo to near 1/2" moa. Under normal conditions (which we may never see again) there is at least 5 manufacturers that produce factory ammo for the 300Saum And several that produce brass.

factory ammo for the 7Saum is limited to Nosler and Remington. Not sure on the brass for it. But everything about the 7Saum stuff is quite a bit more expensive than the 300.

all that said, I like my 7 way more. But I'd guess that is only because that 300 has some major barrel jump.

I just finished this same thought process on both SAUM cartridges. I ended up going WSM and am building both a 300 and 7WSM. 7SAUM brass is non existent right now. Just can't find a decent amount of it. ADG is coming out with 300WSM brass in the next 2-3 months but there are plenty of other good choices available for both 300 and 7WSM.

I appreciate everyone's insight on this! It definitely helps to know how deep the water is before you dive in head first

Modify your magazine box with the Wyattes conversion and you can increase case capacity by seating the bullet out further and you can increase the .300 SAUM's performance. I have two and in the process of building another.

SAUM cases, whether 7mm or .300 are hard to find as stated several times above. But nearly everything in brass, bullets, powder and primers is difficult to locate in any quantities. In your situation there are three choices really:

- Get on some classified ad forums and write 'WANTED', then state that you need some 7mm SAUM or .300 SAUM brass. Personally, I skip everything Nosler right now for brass, it's ridiculously overpriced. Chances are someone, somewhere has some bags of Remington stashed away from a few years ago.

- Get on all the backorder lists you can find and keep looking for more lists. I've had this payoff in a couple of situations.

- Roll your sleeves up and start converting some available brass to the cartridge you want to work with. Like you, I wanted to have a short action 7mm cartridge similar to the 7mm RSAUM. The 6.5 PRC will neck up just fine to take 7mm bullets. You can push the shoulder back on some of the 7mm WSM cases to achieve what you can call the 7mm Western. This solves the problem of not having cases and lets you make a 7mm short action case with a longer neck.

1614882298856.png

You can see in the photograph that there just isn't that much difference between the two cases.

We had to do this when we first worked on the 6.5 GAP 4S cartridge case. The obvious choice was to buy 7mm RSAUM brass and neck it down then lightly turn the case necks for concentricity. We didn't create just a few cases either, we were competing with this case so we needed several hundred at a time.

Unfortunately the timing on the 6.8 Western is poor in order to find any brass at all. Browning and Winchester will be producing loaded ammunition for the next few months before even considering a run of brass only. There is much more money in the loaded stuff! The case itself though will lend itself to necking up to the 7mm nicely.

Embrace the process!:)

I have had no problems finding SAUM brass just on this site alone. I have purchased 6.5, 7, and 300 saum brass here just this year and at very fair prices. I have two 7saums that I use the 7mm or 300 brass in and building a 6.5 western that will use the 6.5 saum brass
if you want a 7 saum just build it or you will always second guess your decision

Thanks for the heads up. I ended up ordering a long action and plan on going with 7 rem mag. Pretty easy to find stuff for lol

I think the 300SAUM was the most popular but neither really took off like the 300WSM or 7WSM. IMO it's about marketing. Winchester has historically done a much better job of marketing than Remington.
I am currently resizing 300 wsm down to the 300 SAUM size. You really need to anil the brass for best performance. Then trim to correct length.

Get on board here.