300 saum owners please help!

DENRIK89

Ive got a 7 mag and piles of Nosler brass but I've been looking at trading it and building a short action mag, have a 6.5 prc and really wanted to do a 7 saum but brass seems extra impossible to find. So leads me to .30 cal... I'm seeing plenty 300 wsm on the shelves but seems to be a bit much and .308 is not quite enough so I was hoping for a little real world experience with 300 saum. Is it easy to find brass and/or loaded ammo during "normal" times?

No, Remington had all but abandoned it. I have a dpms AR made in the 300 saum. Very accurate rifle, and I have about 150 pieces of brass. Now you can find a couple factory loads I think, and Nosler picked it up but that stuff is really high priced normally.

It's too bad because I really think it's a great round. It's been so long since I seriously worked with it I can't give you any velocity numbers, and mine has a 20" barrel so not really relevant to most bolt guns anyway.

That's awesome setup on an ar! Crap that's what I was afraid of, because it really does seem like it would be a great middle-of the road chambering

Hornady has a factory load in the precision hunter line it is about the only thing you find on the shelf here in Ohio and I have a titanium strata form Rifles inc in 300 saum and it is incredible .

You need to look on ammoseek.com for ammo and brass. It's definitely available. Right now brass prices are high but now you have the links.

As stated above, you could build a Sherman Short. His are based on the SAUM and use ADG brass. He has brass on hand but is limiting it to 50 rounds due to supply.

ADG will be making a run this summer.

Nosler and Norma both make it but not sure when their next run will be. Nosler is great brass but dang it's expesnive and that's compared to other premium brass.

I'm building a 7 SAUM now and worst case will use Nosler but my preference is ADG.

Sherman stuff seems cool but Multiple sources of brass would be much better than single source proprietary in my opinion

I think the 300SAUM was the most popular but neither really took off like the 300WSM or 7WSM. IMO it's about marketing. Winchester has historically done a much better job of marketing than Remington.
Very true! Marketing has a lot to do with what catches on. I'd go with a 7wsm but the stubby neck gives me heartburn lol. Look at what hornady did with marketing the 6.5 Needmoor. No offense to the supporters. The new 6.8 western would be exactly what I'm searching for except.. The 6.8 part

You get 200 rounds of ADG 7 Saum brass and it will last the life of the barrel you won't have to worry about other brass.
That's great info, I'll keep my eyes peeled for some. I may just pull the 6.5 prc barrel on a Christensen and go 7 saum