300 SAUM loads and suggestions

Blacktail

I justs picked up a model 7 300 saum in the bdl configuration, 22" barrel on the remington extreme stock. i may not keep the stock and switch to a mcmillan. barrel comes in with at 3.5x10.40 varixIII at a hair under 8 pounds. The guy who had it before me was using reloader 19 and 165 partions. I have limited experiecne with this caliber and looking at some options for loads to even see if i want to keep this gun in this configuration or even have it rebarreled later on. Curious to what you all think in terms of recoil, velcoity and accuracy. Pretty much will be a pack rifle for blacktails, mulies etc..thnx

My wife shoots a 300 SAUM, I did have a muzzle break put on it, but is not really needed. Very nice gun to shoot, in the past was shooting 150gr accubonds with Varget powder. I went with the best load in the nosler book and it works great have killed several deer with it. But am switching over to 155gr bergers this year. Ammo is a little easier to find now then a couple years ago. But as far as I am concerned its an awesome little round. If you want more details about loads, shoot me a PM. Good luck
Chuck

I justs picked up a model 7 300 saum in the bdl configuration, 22" barrel on the remington extreme stock. i may not keep the stock and switch to a mcmillan. barrel comes in with at 3.5x10.40 varixIII at a hair under 8 pounds. The guy who had it before me was using reloader 19 and 165 partions. I have limited experiecne with this caliber and looking at some options for loads to even see if i want to keep this gun in this configuration or even have it rebarreled later on. Curious to what you all think in terms of recoil, velcoity and accuracy. Pretty much will be a pack rifle for blacktails, mulies etc..thnx

Recoil will be more than a 30-06, less than a 300 Win mag with the same weight bullets. The light barrel and short action keep it compact and easy to carry. The light weight means it will have more recoil.

You should get about 3025 fps with 90% SAAMI max loads with 150 grain hunting bullets (Hornady SST for example). The 165 grain Partitions with 60.5 grains of RL-17 should give around 2950 fps with a 90% SAAMI max load. That would give about 1750 fps and 1130 ft-lbs energy at 600 yards. This rifle is plenty for deer and even elk at practical hunting ranges for a light sporter rifle.

i dont see it getting much air time but I have 3 300saum's and they all like 4007ssc imr. Two are model 7's one in a 700. Recoil is mild imo but im used to the big ultra mags. Give it a shot i think you will like it.

My wifes Remington model 700 even with the muzzle break off kicks no where near a 30/06. Also I took the muzzly break off my 300RUM and it didn't kick as bad as I thought it would. I am recoil sensitive because of jaw surgery a few years ago. Also another funny note, before my wife got her 300SAUM, she had a Savage 270 Win short mag, that thing kicked like a mule even with a muzzle break on, she shot that thing only 3 times and took it back to the gun shop and traded it for a 300SAUM and couldn't be more happy.

My wifes Remington model 700 even with the muzzle break off kicks no where near a 30/06. Also I took the muzzly break off my 300RUM and it didn't kick as bad as I thought it would. I am recoil sensitive because of jaw surgery a few years ago. Also another funny note, before my wife got her 300SAUM, she had a Savage 270 Win short mag, that thing kicked like a mule even with a muzzle break on, she shot that thing only 3 times and took it back to the gun shop and traded it for a 300SAUM and couldn't be more happy.

I wonder if it was in the way the savage stock was designed? The two cases are near identical and the 300 is pushing more lead so you would think it would kick more?.....Rich

Now I am no expert on gun design, a friend had an older savage in the 7mm, the stock was fairly straight, as far as recoil that gun would come up and if you were not careful the scope would hit around the eye brow, I have had other guns that had some drop to the stock and would kick straight back. I don't know what the deal with that 270WSM was, but I was not impressed and the wife wanted no part of it and it momma ain't happy then no one is happy. She loves the 300SAUM, she has not shot my 300RUM yet. But too be honest I was expecting a whole lot more recoil from it and was very suprised, of course am sure because its a sendero and not a light gun that has something to do with it also???

I have a 300 SAUM in the Rem 700 Titanium. Good choice on powders and bullets. Mine loves RE 19 and 168 Nosler CTs with WLRM primers.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.