300 rum

ryan olsen

I just purchased a 300 rum and with facory 180 grn sciroccos I am only able to shoot a 1 1/2 inch group. should I try hand loading or get a new gun? Also is this a calibur I can plan on making the long shot with? If I can get it grouping.

Ryan,

Try to load up some accubonds. The factory Scirocco loads are seated very short. With the accubonds you will be able to get the bullets out near the rifling and in the factory throat should help tighten up groups.

Sadly enough, this is about the level of accuracy Remington will accept in their rifles. With careful handloading you should be able to get groups under 1" as long as the bedding and trigger are in good shape.

As far as a long range factory caliber, there are few better then the big 300 RUM.

My opinion, get rid of the Swift bullets and load up some nosler Accubonds in either 180 or 200 gr form. Powders to use are H-1000, Rl-25 or H-Retumbo.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Ryan,
Getcha some 180 Accubonds like Fiftydriver says and then load 1 grain up or down of 95 grains of RL25 and you will be in business! I have done load development for probably a dozen of those 300 Ultras, and that load has worked best in all of them! It's kind of like putting 29 grains of N133 in a 6 PPC, every one of them just love it.
Oh yeah, run a Federal 215 gm primer too!

You could try some Berger 190 grainers. Start load of 92 grains of H1000 Max load of 95 grains H1000. Should net you about 3450~3500 fps. We actually went to 100 grains of H1000 and achieved 3600 fps.
This was an accurate load in a Lilja barrel 1:10 twist.
You may opt to load them at lower than my loads as your rifle may experience pressure signs.
His barrel was a 34 inch long barrel also which will account for some differences in fps versus a factory tube.
Dave

Ryan, below are some 300 RUM loads that shoot half inch in my Sendero. NONE of them are MAX loads in my rifle and all are close to 3200 FPS execpt the 220 MK it is a tad over 3000. I like the heavier slugs in this Cal. I tried the 150gr Swifts in my gun and they also shot like crap. I wish Norma or Lapua would start making brass for the ultra RP brass sucks 3 or 4 full house loads and the primer pockets are shot.

BULLET: 200gr Accubond
POWDER: R-22 85.0gr
PRIMER: Rem 9 1/2 Mag
CASE: RP (crap)
SEAT: I seat them as far as my mag will allow or you can single shot it and get them a bit closer to the lands.

POWDER: Retumbo 94.0gr
SEAT: Same as above.

POWDER: R-25 91.0
SEAT: Same

BULLET: 220gr Smk
POWDER: IMR-7828 87.0gr
SEAT: Same

I don't use a muzzle brake there to loud! I use a shoulder recoil pad that I got from Cabals when I'm at the range it works great and only cost $25 or $30 bucks. Before I got the shoulder pad on long range sessions I just folded up a dish rag and put it between my shoulder and the butt of the gun that works ok to it takes the edge off. In the field shooting at game I don't feel any recoil. I only flinch for a couple shots from the bench at the beginning of a range session until I get in my groove and get my trigger squeeze down then I can go for 20 to 30 rounds. 30 rounds of 220gr full house loads is plenty for me in one session with the BIG .300 It's good to have a clean, crisp trigger pull too (3lb in my gun). When I had the factory Rem trigger witch didn't break until around 8 1/2lb flinching occurred more often.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.