300 Rum?

gmcguy

Hey guys Im new and have a few questions to ask you if you dont mind. Im currently contemplating buying a sendero sf 2 in 300 rum and putting a zeiss target turret 6.5-20x50 mil dot on it. My question is, will this weapon stock be able of hitting targets somewhat reliably at 1000 yards if I do my part say watermelon sized? Im looking for a gun that I can hit jugs out to that range and be able to cleanly kill coyotes. Is this gun capable of that stock or do I need to do some work to it, and if so what? The last question I have is what is the barrel life of the 300 rum, 500?, 600?, 1000? and what can I expect to pay for a replacement? Thanks in advance for any help guys.

depends on the gun really, all the senderos I have dealt with shoot really well but that still doesnt make them minut of coyote at 1000yrds. Hitting a yote at that range deals with the coyote for one, and about a million more factors for two. I would say that most factory senderos will shoot good enough for big game hunting to 800yrds with the bigger calibers and good handloads.

Does this mean all senderos shoot this well. I cant say that because I havent shot every sendero made. Coyotes at that extreme of range are a hard target to hit and takes more skill than anything to accomplish. I am not sayig that you shouldnt try blasting them I am just saying dont get down to much if you miss. I havent dealt with the ziess at long range only the Night Force.

Thanks for the reply. Oh I know taking animals at that range is very difficult, especially ones like coyotes and wolves that run around a lot. All I was curious about is generally (i know all rifles are different) that if the coyote was standing perfectly still there was zero wind and I did my part if the gun was capable of a killzone sized shot at that distance.

I don't think you'll have any problem with that rifle at those ranges. I would definately look into installing a muzzle brake on it though. It will make life more enjoyable. A good set of electronic hearing protection goes a long way also.

We use 300 RUM's deer hunting and have tremendous luck with that caliber and a lot of practice!.

Wolfdawg

I also shoot a 300 RUM and to get comfortable shooting at that range you will really want to reload. Ammo costs are pretty high. Mine has had the triggger set at 3 lbs, muzzle brake and it shoots really well with little recoil, I can see a deer fall thru my scope at 350 yds. With that said you will enjoy that rifle and yes blast them yotes. Mine is the older Sendeo. Its the only big game rifle I take any more, the rest just sit in the gun cabinet and look pretty. I keep 300 rounds loaded at all times just incase, you never know when the coyote gods will be generous LOL Enjoy

Thanks again for the help. Do you guys have any idea what the barrel life for this cartridge is and what a replacement will cost? Ive heard the 300 rum is a barrel burner and would like to know how bad of one it is so I can plan for the future.

I don't think you'll have any problem with that rifle at those ranges. I would definately look into installing a muzzle brake on it though. It will make life more enjoyable. A good set of electronic hearing protection goes a long way also.

We use 300 RUM's deer hunting and have tremendous luck with that caliber and a lot of practice!.

Wolfdawg
+1 here on this... muzzle brake helps a lot! but the flip side is your gonna need some good hearing protection (which you should of course already have...). Brakes help in practice.... Awesome round.
Insofar as barrel life, that can be more subjective. Shooting coyotes to 1000 yds, eh? You might be able to get 800-1200 rounds out of it using the heavier for caliber bullets, but as mentioned, if the shooting gods smile, and you have to use 300 rounds in one day, you could place a safe bet that at the end of that you are buying a new barrel. It really depends on how you use the barrel is what I am meaning to convey. If you abuse it by firecracking the throat from shooting it scorching hot, less rounds/life for your barrel, hunting deer or yotes 2 or 3 shots at a time... a lot more rounds/barrel life. And it also depends (IMHO) on the steel, the barrel makers skill, the smiths chambering skill, and whether they held their mouth just so when they made it.... lol. You may find that a barrel that still shoots 1 MOA is acceptable, so even more life can be obtained, or if you are a BR nut kind of guy/gal, then anything over 1/4 to 1/2 MOA is unacceptable. It just depends....

GL,
EZ

Depends on how you shoot it. You sit on a p dog town with it and say goodbye. You use it for hunting deer, elk, coyotes etc then it will be alot more. I would say that it will last the normal long range guy 2-3yrs. Just depends on how good you take care of it and how many rounds you shoot a year.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts