.300 RUM with a 24" Barrel: Crazy or Handy?

jasonprox700

I've been kicking around the idea of building another hunting rifle. I already have a .338 WM for elk and moose, but I really want a fast .30 for both whitetail and mulies. I thought about the tried and trued .300 WM, but I wanted something different. The .300 RUM has always impressed me and I have a couple of friends with the RUM, and neither reloads, so basically free brass!

The thing I'd also like to do different is go with a 24" barrel over the standard 26". After carrying the .338 around for a week in the mountains with its 24" barrel, I found it to be pretty comfortable in comparison to the 26" on my dad's 7mm.

I know I'll probably loose up to 100 fps by losing the 2" commonly found on most magnums, but I can live with it. What do you think?

The free brass is a perk for sure. On the other hand,I wouldn't cut my 300 RUM pipe down to 24". It takes a little space to get rid of 90 to 100 gr of powder. I too have a 338 in a Tikka T3. Love the handiness of it like you stated. For me,I'd forgo the Ultra if you desire a handier rifle. There are other options that are better suited to the 24' barrel. Short magnums,compact magnums ,and as mentioned the 338 Win Mag.

You could cut it down and get away with it, but you would probably end up with 300 win performance, I don't mind a short barrel and have worked with a striker 300 wsm with a 14" barrel( my Dad's). I don't see how the rum will beat the win anymore(probably the only reason to own the rum) with a sub 26" pipe.

I have a factory Sendero barrel right now. My MV is not bad but not what I was expecting. Shooting the 215 Berger Hybrid with 91 gr H-1000 at 2985 fps. Shoots awesome but when this barrel is done it will be replaced with a 28" This is not a carry rifle and I don't think to many 300 RUM's are.

A 24 in RUM just does not compute, you'd be much better served by a 300 WSM IMO using a little faster powder to get the velocity up in that short of a barrel.

Free brass necked up to 338 edge would be even better but I digress. I have a 24" edge that I once thought was to short but realized I am not giving up anything. My short barreled 338 will run 2781fps (mild 89.0) or almost 2850 (hot 92.0) with the 300 grain smk which is on par with the 30" barrels. If you want to build it............I say, why not. I absolutely love my short barreled ultra mag(338 edge).

A 24 in RUM just does not compute, you'd be much better served by a 300 WSM IMO using a little faster powder to get the velocity up in that short of a barrel.

I like this advice most, I cant see how you will notice the difference in 2" but hay I wasn't there. Consider a smaller barrel profile. My WSM is 26" with the brake. Barrel is pretty squat but very, very handy.

Free brass necked up to 338 edge would be even better but I digress. I have a 24" edge that I once thought was to short but realized I am not giving up anything. My short barreled 338 will run 2781fps (mild 89.0) or almost 2850 (hot 92.0) with the 300 grain smk which is on par with the 30" barrels. If you want to build it............I say, why not. I absolutely love my short barreled ultra mag(338 edge).

What your saying also makes a lot of sense, that big 300g SMK really retains the energy and your MV does not lie. I would think to get that performance out of the 300RUM he would need the 230g Berger or the 240SMK.

OP, I suppose you have a lot of options and like others said it doesn't make sense to me, but hay free brass and America. Be safe and don't push the safety trying to get the speeds of the 26 from the 24, good luck remember to post results

I HAVE a 24" 300 RUM. Funny reason why.... I have a 27" Lilja barrel that doesn't have enough twist for the newish 230 gr Berger match target hybrid. Really wanted to try it. So I purchased a new Rem takeoff that is was a SS 24" 300 win mag which got rechambered and fitted to my 300 RUM package.

I don't think you will loose that much performance especially if you choose to use a heavy bullet.

H1000: 88.5 gr for vel of 2860 fps. Load is close to max.

RL-33 with 230 gr berger: Temperatures were 85-90 degrees. Here are the results so far:

90gr 2665
92gr 2745
94gr no reading cardboard shades moved had to wait for next ceasefire to adjust
96gr 2875
98 gr 2925
100gr 3001

No signs of pressure, no bolt lift issues, primers look good etc. Will start when range opens and temps are in the low 50s. Will chrono the 100 gr load again for comparison.

Second visit to range with RL-33 and the 230 Berger target hybrid:

Shot the 100 gr load this morning in 60-70 degree weather.average velocity 2975 fps. This compares pretty close to yesterday's two shots averaging 3001 at 85-90 degrees.

Continued with more powder:

101 grs 2983 fps This is the first increase that didn't show a 50-70 fps increase in velocity. It would appear that there is nothing more to gain by increasing charges

102 grs 3016 had a tiny amount of bolt lift resistance.
Didn't try any hotter loads.

For my rifle 100 gr is the max I'll shoot. It was the most accurate too.

---------------

Since then I have taken the rifle to the Tucson Rifle Club range and shot at the permanent heavy 4" thick steel javelina at 300 M and rams 500 M. The JBM predicted comeups were perfect using the G7 BC of .380.

Recoil is stout with this 9 1/4 lb rifle but it is handy. As you can read this is just what you had in mind. I say make it! Let us know how it works out for you.

300rum in 24" barrel would be a waste in my opinion, it really needs a long barrel for optimum performance. 300wm in standard length action with 24" barrel would be real handy. What kind of ranges for deer are you looking at? If under 400 yards then a 06' could handle the job, light and minimal recoil.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.