300 RUM with 230 OTM's

Eastcoastshooter375

Finally got back on the reloading bench with trying to fine tune my initial test loads that were, eh, mediocre. I took the best 2 loads and tweaked them, with a new box of Bergers, new lb of powder, and 1x fired brass. Lets just say, I am pleased. I ended up with 2 loads that produced 1/2MOA groups. I am not sure of velocity as I don't have chrony, I can get access to one at a later date to calculate ES.

The two loads that produced the 1/2" groups, are seated closer to the lands (will not fit in mag) than my original 230 OTM test loads. I've shot it single shot for the past few years so this doesn't bother me too much. Both loads are identical except for powder charge. Would I consider this my "node"?

I will take some pics of the target tomorrow, I have a few questions about my groups and suggestions for improving.

This rifle has proven to be a shooter, shooting a 4" group at 500 with 6-10MPH winds coming from multiple angles. While at the range, I also shot a 3 shot group with my older 185 VLD's, It produced one hole. This combo has produced some great groups in the past, but not quite this good. I decided if the first 3 shot in the same hole, I'd try a 5 shot group for bragging rights. Well, I should have stopped at 3. Hot barrel (I was excited) and probably rushing the shot, opened the group up to around 1MOA.

I will post some pictures, hopefully tomorrow, for some constructive criticism. I normally shoot 2 shot groups in initial load development, my theory is because if the first 2 shots are 4" apart, a 3rd shot isn't going to make the group shrink. After I tweak these loads, I will then go to 3 shot groups to validate and shoot at either 200 or 300 yards.

I know there's not a lot of load data/information out there on the 230's with the RUM, so I wanted to track my testing and results as I go for others to learn.

Edit to add: 230gr Bergers out of a 9lb rifle without a break can be punishing at the bench, but they sure to make one hell of a wallop in the backstop! :D

Ok, here are the groups. First pic is overall target view. You can see T3 and T4 are my 1/2MOA groups I'm excited about. (better than the 8" groups out of 338 with 250 OTM's).

230 OTM target.jpg

The second pic is the 1/2MOA group (near zero vertical string).

230 OTM  0.5MOA group.jpg

The third pic is the second 1/2MOA (actually just over 1/2) group fired. The barrel was allowed to cool 10-15 minutes between groups, but shots within the same group were fired back to back. (+/- 30 seconds between shots).

230 OTM 0.5 MOA group 2.jpg

You can see that groups 1,2, and 5 are "ok", just not steller. I shot at different aim points as I wasn't able to walk to the target after each group and label bullet holes. Thats the one bad thing about public ranges.

Ok, here's the 5 shot group, shot #4 could have been pulled, as the crosshairs were not perfect when the trigger broke. shot 5 was perfect sight picture, factory sporter barrel was quite warm after 4th shot, I just wanted to see what a 5 shot string would look like.

185 VLD 5 shot group.jpg

Lets here it guys, should I try to improve the T3 load or just load some up to verify it wasn't an accident, and start figuring out drops?

TB

T4 looks a little smaller than 3, was that up or down in powder? If it were me i would try 3/10th powder charge change which ever way t4 was from t3 and see if it tightens up a bit more. Otherwise nise groups. That should be a hammer.

T4 actually measures right at 0.6" and t3 is right at 0.5. I doubt it'll make much difference. T4 has 0.5gr more powder than t3. From memory, t3 is 90.0gr and t4 is 90.5gr H1000.

I might try 90.3 gr. in such a big case, it may and it may not change.

It is a brute, hopefully it will continue to print groups like these and hold sub MOA out to 650-700 yds.

Calib, thanks for your input!

TB

If 3 is smaller then try .3 under that if you are in search of better than half if you like what you have stay with it

I just bought 3 boxes of Berger 230 gr. Tactical Hybrid bullets for my HS Precision/Rem .300 Win Mag.

Haven't loaded them yet but I expect good results in winds and good downrange velocity (still supersonic) beyond 1,000 meters.

Your 300 RUM can shoot heavier bullets but I believe these ARE the heaviest .30 caliber bullets made.

Finally got back on the reloading bench with trying to fine tune my initial test loads that were, eh, mediocre. I took the best 2 loads and tweaked them, with a new box of Bergers, new lb of powder, and 1x fired brass. Lets just say, I am pleased. I ended up with 2 loads that produced 1/2MOA groups. I am not sure of velocity as I don't have chrony, I can get access to one at a later date to calculate ES.

The two loads that produced the 1/2" groups, are seated closer to the lands (will not fit in mag) than my original 230 OTM test loads. I've shot it single shot for the past few years so this doesn't bother me too much. Both loads are identical except for powder charge. Would I consider this my "node"?

I will take some pics of the target tomorrow, I have a few questions about my groups and suggestions for improving.

This rifle has proven to be a shooter, shooting a 4" group at 500 with 6-10MPH winds coming from multiple angles. While at the range, I also shot a 3 shot group with my older 185 VLD's, It produced one hole. This combo has produced some great groups in the past, but not quite this good. I decided if the first 3 shot in the same hole, I'd try a 5 shot group for bragging rights. Well, I should have stopped at 3. Hot barrel (I was excited) and probably rushing the shot, opened the group up to around 1MOA.

I will post some pictures, hopefully tomorrow, for some constructive criticism. I normally shoot 2 shot groups in initial load development, my theory is because if the first 2 shots are 4" apart, a 3rd shot isn't going to make the group shrink. After I tweak these loads, I will then go to 3 shot groups to validate and shoot at either 200 or 300 yards.

I know there's not a lot of load data/information out there on the 230's with the RUM, so I wanted to track my testing and results as I go for others to learn.

Edit to add: 230gr Bergers out of a 9lb rifle without a break can be punishing at the bench, but they sure to make one hell of a wallop in the backstop! :D

Depending on your OAL, its a simple matter to install a Wyatts extended magazine box to allow up to 3.800" OAL ammo to be used in your rifle, I assume its a Rem 700 but I guess I should not as there are several different rifles chambered for the 300 RUM.

I install my PK muzzle brakes on more RUMs then any other factory chamberings. With a good muzzle brake, the rifle will actually feel like its pulling away from the shooter. Once guys get a good brake installed, they generally are mad they put up with the recoil for so long. Not only that but spotting your own shots at longer ranges becomes easy as well, a huge confidence builder.

These would be two good upgrades for your rifle. Shooting it single shot is not a huge problem either but if you want a repeater, there is likely a way to do it.

Kirby,

My rifle is indeed a Remington 700 CDL. I've been wanting to upgrade the stock, a brake, and bottom metal, just wasn't sure if I'd be better off going with a heavier contour barrel and stock at the same time. I measured the barrel at the muzzle, it just barely meets minimum OD dimensions to install a brake (just what I've read). I believe muzzle measures 0.640".

Would installing extended mag box be possible with factory stock or better off getting fiberglass stock and start there?

I know you've seen thousands, your opinion weighs more than mine on performance upgrades.

Thanks for your input! I will keep updating when progress is made

TB

Kirby,

My rifle is indeed a Remington 700 CDL. I've been wanting to upgrade the stock, a brake, and bottom metal, just wasn't sure if I'd be better off going with a heavier contour barrel and stock at the same time. I measured the barrel at the muzzle, it just barely meets minimum OD dimensions to install a brake (just what I've read). I believe muzzle measures 0.640".

Would installing extended mag box be possible with factory stock or better off getting fiberglass stock and start there?

I know you've seen thousands, your opinion weighs more than mine on performance upgrades.

Thanks for your input! I will keep updating when progress is made

TB

Your muzzle diameter is PLENTY large for many of the best brakes on the market including my Small Painkiller and the Holland QD brake.

The wyatts extended mag box can be EASILY installed with your factory stock or custom stock, does not matter much at all.

Stepping up to a larger contour barrel and larger dimensioned stock depends on your purpose and goals for the rifle. If you want a legit +1/2 mile rifle, always a good idea to upgrade stock and barrel but if you do, make sure that you have the receiver fully accurized to get the most out of your investment in a new barrel.

Have fun!! With a good brake on your rifle and nothing else, shooting your RUM will be FUN, not work dealing with the recoil!!!

Hmmmm... I may get your "small" Allen muzzle brake for my HS Precicion .300 Win. mag. competition rifle. Its fluted, tapered barrel comes down to exactly 0.75 inches so I guess it would fit well muzzle.

Ya it would fit but my Medium PK would also fit and offer abit more recoil control. Just depends on if you want a compact small PK on the end of your muzzle or the wider medium PK.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts