300 RUM W/ 208 ELD M's for Elk?

I'd say, if you're comfortable and confident in what you're using now, run that. You can always go for the 215 Berger which is quite popular and has a lot of info and kills with it.

I'm going to use the 225 ELD-M out of my 300 WM at 3047fps.

Up to you, but I think there may be another option you aren't considering: carry two different types of bullets. I have also chosen the 208 Bergers as my bullet of choice in my new 300 Norma Improved, but I don't have any personal kill results with it yet since I just had it built. I've used other Bergers before on Elk and they've typically worked well. However, like you and others here, I figured that bullet leaving about 3300fps may not do well on an elk shoulder at 100 yards - and you can't always be picky on the angle when they pop-up in the timber near you. Solution: I chamber something like a Nosler partition or Swift A-frame for my walk to and from my long range "perch", because you just never know when Mr. Bull may come to you. Once I get out there, I can switch to my Bergers. (I tend to keep them warm in a pocket until I'm ready to shoot anyway, just to minimize the chances of a temp-affected change). Obviously, the close-range load still needs to have a similar enough POI to hit your target, but my partition load wasn't that far off of where my Bergers hit at closer ranges - they were at least minute-of-elk for those first few hundred yards.

I guess it depends on if you plan on a lot of walking and a mixed-range hunt, or if you will have a spot where you will be primarily LRH, unless you happen to have a dedicated rifle for each of those cases. For more of a mixed-range hunt I may consider more of a possible compromise one-size-fits-all bullet, like some mentioned. However, for a mostly long-range dedicated rifle and planned long-range hunt, but with the contingency of handling a surprise short-range shot, I prefer the 2-bullet approach, especially if you already have a 1/3 MOA load and bullet that should do very well at range. Not pushing my approach on anyone...just tossing out an option that hasn't been mentioned, and that I think works well for me.
This is great advice, and what I do. Zero with the LR load, walk around with controlled expansion.

I have been using the 212 ELDXs im my 300 ultra with retumbo running 3150. I work for an outfitter hunting elk and between myself and clients with that recipe in the past two seasons it has taken 8 elk from 300 to 750 yards and has performed excellent for me.

I have been using the 212 ELDXs im my 300 ultra with retumbo running 3150. I work for an outfitter hunting elk and between myself and clients with that recipe in the past two seasons it has taken 8 elk from 300 to 750 yards and has performed excellent for me.

That's great info. Any issues with direct hits on leg bones? It has worked excellent in my 06 but never thought it'd be tough enough for my RUM.

I have used 200 gr Accubonds at about 3150 FPS with Retumbo in a 300 RUM. I have not shot an elk with that combo but I have shot two moose, both within 50 yards. Both moose took more than one bullet and, on both, at least one of the bullets came apart and failed to get good penetration. I just don't think there is a bullet out there that will perform perfectly, all of the time, from close range out to 700 yards or beyond.
I would reccommend the 200 grain Nosler Partition for 0 - 700 yards at your 3150 FPS muzzle velocity . It should penetrate , expand , and exit at those yardages .

I have experience with the 180 grain Partition , at 3200 FPS from a .300 Weatherby , and a very large Black Bear back in 1973 .
150 yard shot into front of left front shoulder , and exited out of right rear hip . Broke LF shoulder entering , and broke RR hip exiting , and made a mess of vital organs .

In 1988 , I shot a spike bull Elk , with my 7mm Rem. Magnum , running 150 grain Nosler Partitions at 3210 FPS , at a distance of 75 yards . The Elk was quartering away from me moving from my left to right , and I was aiming behind it's RF shoulder . However , just as I squeezed the trigger , my friend came running toward me from the left , and the Elk spun quickly to it's left , and I ended-up with the proverbial "Texas Heart Shot".
The bullet entered 1" above the rectum , through the pelvic bone , into the spinal column taking out more than 24" of spinal vertebrae , then through top of the right lung , through the RF shoulder , finally coming to rest just under the skin in front of the right front shoulder .
All total , over 4 feet of penetration , and recovery of the rear partition and core .
The elk dropped on the spot , although I did walk up to it and fire a finishing shot .

I also shot a moose with that 7mm Rem Mag , 150 gr. Partition , at 60 yards , broadside shot entering through LF shoulder , exiting through RF shoulder . Moose dropped in it's tracks .

The Partition will reliably expand , then loose the front mushroom , and retain 65 % of it's weight in the rear of the bullet , behind the partition .

Exceptional bullets , just not a high Ballistic Coefficient .

Also , all of the Partitions that I have used have been very accurate .
.243 Win , .25-06 Rem , .270 Weatherby , 7mm Rem mag , .300 Weatherby , and .340 Weatherby .

DMP25-06

Go with whats more accurate, bullet placement is the most important element in long shots. Carry a solid round for walking in close up shots then switch to your ELDm for your long work.

That's great info. Any issues with direct hits on leg bones? It has worked excellent in my 06 but never thought it'd be tough enough for my RUM.
I don't shoot them in the legs. we have taken some shoulder shots and it performs excellent and bread basket shots almost always have an exit hole.

That was the chest cavity of a bull elk at 750 yards with the 208 eld. Stay inside the v and you won't hit shoulder or leg bone and heart and lungs will be toast. Ive shot a cow at 175 yards with the 208 there was no exit wound but there was no tracking needed either.

Attachments

• 20211003_225112.jpg
    20211003_225112.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 69
  • image000000(5).jpg
    image000000(5).jpg
    663.8 KB · Views: 66

Recent Posts