300 RUM W/ 208 ELD M's for Elk?

I would like to hear real world terminal experience with the 208 eld also. The 208 is the least finicky 30 cal I have used. 215 Berger comes close. Before the 208 eld, the 208 amax had rave reviews for terminal performance. Hard to believe there would be much difference between the two.

I have used 200 gr Accubonds at about 3150 FPS with Retumbo in a 300 RUM. I have not shot an elk with that combo but I have shot two moose, both within 50 yards. Both moose took more than one bullet and, on both, at least one of the bullets came apart and failed to get good penetration. I just don't think there is a bullet out there that will perform perfectly, all of the time, from close range out to 700 yards or beyond.

Up to you, but I think there may be another option you aren't considering: carry two different types of bullets. I have also chosen the 208 Bergers as my bullet of choice in my new 300 Norma Improved, but I don't have any personal kill results with it yet since I just had it built. I've used other Bergers before on Elk and they've typically worked well. However, like you and others here, I figured that bullet leaving about 3300fps may not do well on an elk shoulder at 100 yards - and you can't always be picky on the angle when they pop-up in the timber near you. Solution: I chamber something like a Nosler partition or Swift A-frame for my walk to and from my long range "perch", because you just never know when Mr. Bull may come to you. Once I get out there, I can switch to my Bergers. (I tend to keep them warm in a pocket until I'm ready to shoot anyway, just to minimize the chances of a temp-affected change). Obviously, the close-range load still needs to have a similar enough POI to hit your target, but my partition load wasn't that far off of where my Bergers hit at closer ranges - they were at least minute-of-elk for those first few hundred yards.

I guess it depends on if you plan on a lot of walking and a mixed-range hunt, or if you will have a spot where you will be primarily LRH, unless you happen to have a dedicated rifle for each of those cases. For more of a mixed-range hunt I may consider more of a possible compromise one-size-fits-all bullet, like some mentioned. However, for a mostly long-range dedicated rifle and planned long-range hunt, but with the contingency of handling a surprise short-range shot, I prefer the 2-bullet approach, especially if you already have a 1/3 MOA load and bullet that should do very well at range. Not pushing my approach on anyone...just tossing out an option that hasn't been mentioned, and that I think works well for me.

I rocked 2 cow elk this past season using the 208 eld-m at ranges of 450ish and 704 yards. Im running a win mag and
h-1000 at 2996fps. I intentionally stay behind the shoulder and have had no problems. Both were complete pass throughs. Ive been using the 208 for several years and have no complaints. Occasionally i get some meat loss thats why i stay behind the shoulder and not high on it.
I think if i wanted to run an eld-m through a ultra mag i may consider the 225.

I kind of scratch my head about the 220 ELD-X. I am pretty sure I could push the 212 ELD-X faster and the 212 has a higher ballistic coefficient.
I guess I never noticed that the 212 has a higher BC than the 220. That is peculiar.

I think they made the 220 to "fit" better at factory lengths. I've got a good friend that uses the 220 in factory ammo in his RUM. Amazing shooting stuff but I believe it's profile is different than the other.
Makes me wonder if the 220 has more of a tangent or hybrid ogive rather than a secant. Possibly more forgiving of seating depths.