.300 RUM w/200gr Accubonds

While I don't own a 300RUM, I do reload for a buddy who owns one. To be honest, I have yet to get AB's to shoot worth beans - in any caliber! My preferred bullet is Nosler Partition for myself but I try whatever someone else wants in their rifles. I tried several powders (Retumbo, H1000 and a couple others) with zero luck, mostly shooting 2 - 3" 100 yd. groups or worse! (200 Partitions are averaging under 1") Same thing in a custom .308, an -06, a .338WM and a good shooting 270 Win. I've also had little luck with Competition series bullets, both Nosler & Sierra, although the Sierra's did much better overall. I'm pretty sure it's not me but I suppose there's always the possibility of bias... I know I wanted them to work!
Not really much help here, just what I've gone thru with the AB's. There are definitely others out there that have had good results with them so they clearly aren't "bad" bullets but my luck with them has been dismal! I hope you have better results with them than I did!
Cheers,
crkckr

While I don't own a 300RUM, I do reload for a buddy who owns one. To be honest, I have yet to get AB's to shoot worth beans - in any caliber! My preferred bullet is Nosler Partition for myself but I try whatever someone else wants in their rifles. I tried several powders (Retumbo, H1000 and a couple others) with zero luck, mostly shooting 2 - 3" 100 yd. groups or worse! (200 Partitions are averaging under 1") Same thing in a custom .308, an -06, a .338WM and a good shooting 270 Win. I've also had little luck with Competition series bullets, both Nosler & Sierra, although the Sierra's did much better overall. I'm pretty sure it's not me but I suppose there's always the possibility of bias... I know I wanted them to work!
Not really much help here, just what I've gone thru with the AB's. There are definitely others out there that have had good results with them so they clearly aren't "bad" bullets but my luck with them has been dismal! I hope you have better results with them than I did!
Cheers,
crkckr
Well, I was able to score some 220 ELD-X and 225 ELD-M. So I will be pursuing those now. I'm hoping it loves those 225's, because I have 291 to work with now lol

I really like RUM Series of rifles and if I were just starting out I'd probably have a 300 & 338 instead of my -06 and my Ruger 77 .338 WM. The -06 is strictly a back-up for the .338, which shoots both the 210 and 250 Partitions quite well, with a very slight edge to the 210's. I killed my CO elk with the 210's and they made very nice sized holes coming and going. I would use the .338 RUM on elk & anything that bites, while the .300 (especially of it shot like my buddies rifle!) on everything smaller. I've killed a few of the big western muley's with a .270 Win and the .308 but both are (in my not so humble opinion) somewhat range limited. I couldn't see myself taking anything but the .270 for antelope just because it's so durn accurate. I like to sneek up and shoot 'em behind the ear but I can still take the longer shots if necessary (my longest shot ever, on anything, was a 750 yard shot at a goat that another hunter had managed to blow the lower jaw off with his 7mm Mag! Even at that range it was a thru & thru, hitting ribs going in and coming out. Not bad for a little 130gr. Partition!). Generally I'm not concerned about ruining meat, I'm much more interested in getting them down & out, even if the shot is a bit long or not as perfectly placed as I like, so I tend to go for accuracy first & "bigger" when it comes to caliber. I know a lot of elk have been killed with 7mm mag but in interviewing several guides a few years back, the #1 caliber for wounded elk was 7mm Mag. -06 was second and 270 Win. was third. After seeing first hand what kind of damage elk can absorbe and still keep going, I wouldn't recommend anything less than a 300 WM (and then only with premium bullets such as Partitions). Ok, I wouldn't make it a law or anything but if someone asks, I tell 'em go with the biggest thing you can shoot well as long as it's a big 30 cal or bigger! Bigger doesn't solve all possible problems but it can sure CYA when you get a less than perfect shot a big Royal at 350+ yards!
Cheers,
crkckr

I really like RUM Series of rifles and if I were just starting out I'd probably have a 300 & 338 instead of my -06 and my Ruger 77 .338 WM. The -06 is strictly a back-up for the .338, which shoots both the 210 and 250 Partitions quite well, with a very slight edge to the 210's. I killed my CO elk with the 210's and they made very nice sized holes coming and going. I would use the .338 RUM on elk & anything that bites, while the .300 (especially of it shot like my buddies rifle!) on everything smaller. I've killed a few of the big western muley's with a .270 Win and the .308 but both are (in my not so humble opinion) somewhat range limited. I couldn't see myself taking anything but the .270 for antelope just because it's so durn accurate. I like to sneek up and shoot 'em behind the ear but I can still take the longer shots if necessary (my longest shot ever, on anything, was a 750 yard shot at a goat that another hunter had managed to blow the lower jaw off with his 7mm Mag! Even at that range it was a thru & thru, hitting ribs going in and coming out. Not bad for a little 130gr. Partition!). Generally I'm not concerned about ruining meat, I'm much more interested in getting them down & out, even if the shot is a bit long or not as perfectly placed as I like, so I tend to go for accuracy first & "bigger" when it comes to caliber. I know a lot of elk have been killed with 7mm mag but in interviewing several guides a few years back, the #1 caliber for wounded elk was 7mm Mag. -06 was second and 270 Win. was third. After seeing first hand what kind of damage elk can absorbe and still keep going, I wouldn't recommend anything less than a 300 WM (and then only with premium bullets such as Partitions). Ok, I wouldn't make it a law or anything but if someone asks, I tell 'em go with the biggest thing you can shoot well as long as it's a big 30 cal or bigger! Bigger doesn't solve all possible problems but it can sure CYA when you get a less than perfect shot a big Royal at 350+ yards!
Cheers,
crkckr
I've always told people just because an Elk can be killed with a .243, doesn't mean its respecting the animal. Elk and Moose, I'd want at least a .338 Win Mag myself. Break both shoulders if possible.

If I were in your shoes and was out and couldn't get Retumbo, the first powder I would try is IMR 8133. I haven't tried it in my RUM, but I will when I run out of Retumbo. Very similar, maybe just a tad slower, and gives better velocities in my 28 Nosler. It seems to be more available, and is a very consistent powder. I am planning to use it in the future in both rifles if it works out.

And at 3100fps it wasn't necessary slow.
No sir, thats moving along nicely!
If I were in your shoes and was out and couldn't get Retumbo, the first powder I would try is IMR 8133. I haven't tried it in my RUM, but I will when I run out of Retumbo. Very similar, maybe just a tad slower, and gives better velocities in my 28 Nosler. It seems to be more available, and is a very consistent powder. I am planning to use it in the future in both rifles if it works out.
Thanks for the tip. Sierra says 92.1gr is a max load with a 220, for 2860 fps.
Screenshot_20201201-130834.jpg

No sir, thats moving along nicely!

Thanks for the tip. Sierra says 92.1gr is a max load with a 220, for 2860 fps.
View attachment 229314
I'm going to try it when I get time. My loads will be different because I load it to a longer OAL and have a Wyatts mag box. I think it will be a great powder for it. Bet I can bust 3k with it with the increased capacity and that bullet.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.