300 RUM upgrade to a 338 edge

I'm a fan of Lothar Walther barrels. They are made with a 550 stainless unlike the barrels made here in the states which use a 416 stainless. The 550 is harder and more durable. Not sure if that will make a difference in longevity, but my barrel is very accurate. I have shot a few .1" 3 shot groups and averages .2-.3 MOA to 800yds with my accuracy loads (my rifle is a custom Savage in .308). My cousin has a Douglas on his 338 Lapua. Seems to be a pretty accurate barrel. Obermyer, Kreiger, Hart, Brux, all get the nod too. I would get a 1:10 twist in a 28". I like a heavy barrel, so mine would be a medium Palma, Sendero, or Savage Varmint contour. Other will chime in.

I built a 338 edge last year I posted the steps on a thread, my advice, shoot the barrel slick then think about what you want to do, the gun you have is a hammer to 1k and more. If you want a break I prefer Center Shot's 4 port Muscle Break. Your build will take 12 weeks minimum, do the build during winter, shoot the gun now
just my $.02

I built a 338 edge last year I posted the steps on a thread, my advice, shoot the barrel slick then think about what you want to do, the gun you have is a hammer to 1k and more. If you want a break I prefer Center Shot's 4 port Muscle Break. Your build will take 12 weeks minimum, do the build during winter, shoot the gun now
just my $.02

I read your post on the build you did last year. Beautiful gun! I think that I will send my 300 RUM in to a smith and have a break put on and shoot it for another year. Maybe upgrade the glass and rings and do a build when the barrel is shot out. I would like to upgrade the stock. What would you guys suggest? I am looking for a reputable comfortable stock and it doesnt necessarily have to be top notch. The barrel on the rifle now is a heavy barrel, if i change the barrel to a 338 next year and true the action do I have to buy a new stock again? As posted before I should be able to use the break I decide to use again on a 338 barrel, right?

Thanks for all your guys input I really appreciate it!

I read your post on the build you did last year. Beautiful gun! I think that I will send my 300 RUM in to a smith and have a break put on and shoot it for another year. Maybe upgrade the glass and rings and do a build when the barrel is shot out. I would like to upgrade the stock. What would you guys suggest? I am looking for a reputable comfortable stock and it doesnt necessarily have to be top notch. The barrel on the rifle now is a heavy barrel, if i change the barrel to a 338 next year and true the action do I have to buy a new stock again? As posted before I should be able to use the break I decide to use again on a 338 barrel, right?

Thanks for all your guys input I really appreciate it!

If you get a barrel that is similar in contour to the one you currently have you will be fine. If you get one that is heavier you can just open up the barrel channel to fit and free float it. As for the break yes you can use it on the edge as well, you will just have to have your smith ream it .020" over sized and install it. Good luck and happy shooting!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.