300 RUM upgrade to a 338 edge

losthelegend

I have read quite a few posts on this topic but have yet to find one that really tells me the steps involved and ballpark prices(does not need to be exact). I am very new to the long range game. I grew up hunting archery where closer is better and have had some missed opportunities on some nice bulls because of the distance. I am going to use the rifle in a high WY desert area and maybe some canyon to canyon shots on elk only.

I currently own a Rem 700p in a 300 RUM. It has a bushnell 300 elite but I will be replacing it with a nightforce 5.5x22x56 with a 20 MOA base with some new rings(yet to be determined). I bought the rifle from a guy that needed the cash.

Questions:

Would this rifle work as a donor rifle for this build?

Are there better rifles to use as a donor? I have access to a few rifles or I can purchase another donor rifle.

What are the advantages of converting from a 300 RUM to a 338 edge?

What break would you use(type and brand)?

What barrel? Brand, length, twist and crown?

Should I have the action trued and lugs lapped?

What stock and type?

Should I have a mercury tube installed to help with the recoil?

I live in SW Wyoming and do not have any knowledge of a reputable gunsmith to perform this build. Are there any suggestions of someone close by that I can have build this?

What about detachable magazines? Do I need to have it customized to accept longer OAL? What brand?

Any other information that you guys deem helpful would be greatly appreciated.

I know that some of these questions might be elementary for some of you and I apologize for that. I would appreciate some positive and helpful feedback or some constructive criticism. If you are going to tell me that I am a dumba@# and a noob with no experience please do not respond. I am very interested and am trying to get as much information as possible.

Thanks in advance for you responses and help.

Here is a pic of my donor--
P1000955.jpg

Last edited:
You have a couple options depending on the rifle you decide to build. Either way you can use your action. I built an edge off of a sendero which is similar to yours. The rifle built was a light weight long range by defensive edge. He used sendero tapered barrel so I was able to use the existing hs stock. The next one I did was a defensive edge canyon rifle. This has a heavier barrel and the sendero stock was not quite large enough for this barrel contour. Not sure on the exact stock u have so it might work on either one? my sendero was shot out, so in my opinion If this gun shoots well I would start with a new action. I would check out defensive edge, he is noy close to u but he ships all over the country. I have personally shot over 10 guns they have built, and everyone of them shot unbelievable without any load development. If they build it, u dont have to supply an action. You will love the 338 edge. Good luck. His website is ..::Defensive Edge - Custom Gunsmithing::..

I just re-read and see I missed alot of your questions. The ones I have are 30in hart barrels with defensive edge brakes. Most gunsmiths will true and square when they put your barrel on, and its highly recomended. With a good brake you wont need the mercury. The stock will depend on the barrel contour u decide on. I like the HS stocks . Detach mag is up to u it can be done either way, but it will need opened up to handle the longer oal. Even if u dont want to go with de, check out the rifle package because it lists all of the things that need done

Losthelegend,

Is the barrel shot out on the 300RUM, How well will it shoot? If it will shoot 1moa or better you've got a Great Long Range Elk Gun.

I also have one of these & their an Elk Hammer, but burn barrels in about 1000 rds.

What is wrong with the 300 RUM. If it is accurate why would you want to spend money to change it. The 300 RUM is a great cartridge with over the counter components to support it. If the 300 doesn't shoot and you want to change to a 338 the 338 RUM would be a good choice that is also over the counter and does the same thing the 338-300 RUM will do.

The 300 RUM has some life left in it. It still shoots pretty well I am just looking for something that has a little more punch at the longer distances.

If I decide to add a muzzle break to the 300 RUM do I need to replace the barrel? Again, I am very new to bigger caliber rifles.

Adding a brake to your 300 RUM is a simple job for a smith.If you decide to go that way just remember to hunt with ear protection.I,ve got a few rifles with brakes and they are loud.If finding a smith locally is a problem you might take a look at Magnaport.They use an EDM machine to cut ports into your barrel-it makes a neat job and does not add any length to your barrel.

I would just put a break on it. Some to consider are the Fat Bastard, APS Pain killer, Muscle Break and I know Shawn Carlock has his own design. So I would start there for breaks. You said your new to the long range game, but that doesn't mean you don't reload. If you do reload, then you have some really good bullet options that will make that 300RUM a hammer at 1000 to 1500 yds. Using the Berger 230grn or the Sierra Match King 240 bullet will hit like the hammer of Thor on Elk. The bigger bullet will add a little barrel life to your rifle too. If you don't reload, you will be limited to factory stuff. There is some out there that will work well, but you are going to have to find ammo that works well with your rifle and you might not be able to find suitable bullet design and weights. So that is my suggestion. Run the RUM until it stops shooting straight and then rebarrel. The RUM will give you a lot of practice for those long shots.

Tank

Iwould do as others and liltank suggest. I would get some Seekin or NF rings and good optics on it . The brake I think could be refit for another barrel if you take into account now,along with stock and other items that you want to upgrade later

Iwould do as others and liltank suggest. I would get some Seekin or NF rings and good optics on it . The brake I think could be refit for another barrel if you take into account now,along with stock and other items that you want to upgrade later

What ever break you buy, can be reamed for a .338 caliber rifle when you go up in caliber.

I would just put a break on it. Some to consider are the Fat Bastard, APS Pain killer, Muscle Break and I know Shawn Carlock has his own design. So I would start there for breaks. You said your new to the long range game, but that doesn't mean you don't reload. If you do reload, then you have some really good bullet options that will make that 300RUM a hammer at 1000 to 1500 yds. Using the Berger 230grn or the Sierra Match King 240 bullet will hit like the hammer of Thor on Elk. The bigger bullet will add a little barrel life to your rifle too. If you don't reload, you will be limited to factory stuff. There is some out there that will work well, but you are going to have to find ammo that works well with your rifle and you might not be able to find suitable bullet design and weights. So that is my suggestion. Run the RUM until it stops shooting straight and then rebarrel. The RUM will give you a lot of practice for those long shots.

Tank

I do reload so I am thankful that there are some great bullet options out there. I am beginning to lean towards keeping the 300 rum and purchasing a break and having it installed. I am not sure which one yet but will be looking at some of the options suggested.

When the barrel begins to fade I will look at my options and decide if I want to upgrade to the 338 or just upgrade the stock and get a new barrel. What barrel manufactorers would you guys suggest? What length?

I appreciate all the responses. It has helped me make an educated decision to keep the 300 RUM.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.