300 RUM to 338 Lapua Mag?

SMF

I'm considering barreling my 300 RUM to .338 Lapua Mag. Is the felt recoil as manageable with a good break as the 300 RUM? I find the 300 RUM with a muzzle break comfortable to shoot however without the break it's just not something I want to shoot. Any thoughts on this would be great.

Thanks,

Steve

Recoil is more stout than the 300 RUM, especially with the 300 gr. bullets, but still very managable with a good brake.

You may run into some problems when rebarreling from the 300 RUM to the 338 Lapua. The Lapua requires a larger bolt face than either the 338 RUM or the 338 Edge. Many gunsmiths feel it leaves the rim too thin, creating some potential safety/liability issues. If you are set on one of the big 338's, then my first choice given your current setup would be the Edge or the RUM. All three of the big 338's mentioned above perform well, with litlle appreciable difference in ballistics. (Yes, there is some difference - bit not worth arguing about). Let us know what you decide.

Go 338 edge all the way......can even use the 300rum brass you already have. As good or better than the lapua...... Easier,cheaper and usually faster........ settle down lapua fans I got nothing against it if your starting from scratch....... With a good brake my 13.5 338edge with 300 grainers can be fired 100s of times consecutively without ANY discomfort, very slow push with no sharpness.

What action is your 3000 RUM built on? The only factory actions that can really handle the Lapua are the SAKO 95? (not sure what model, but i know its a sako) and the WBY Mark V. If your building on the M700 rem your best options are the EDGE or the RUM. I perfer the RUM, as it is a little cheaper (dies) and it saves you fireforming your brass. Both cartriges need a bit of work to make them feed the long bullets well, so thats a wash.
If your going to build on a M70 win I would go for the RUM because its a hair shorter. Any other action and I would probably go for the .340WBY or the .338 SIN.

Let us know some more details about the rifle too, ie. wieght, stock, barrel length, intended purpose.

Thank you gentlemen. It's actually a Remington 700 long action. The "Edge is intriguing, but I'm also looking for a longer barrel life and I'm told that the 338 Lapua Mag will give me twice the barrel life of the RUM. Is the "Edge" a barrel burner?

Thank you,

Steve

Maybe someone will add to this, but I don't see any way that the Lapua is going to have twice the barrel life of the Edge, or RUM. You're shooting the same projectiles, assuming the 338RUM, at nearly the same velocities, and close to the same powder charges. If anything, the Lapua if overstuffed, will burn more powder, and likely have a shorter barrel life, but we're splitting hairs here. Sounds more like someone drinking koolaid that told you that,lol.

The only comparison i can make is, i was shooting 180s in my 338 rum and went to 250s. I did notice a significant increase in recoil. Not enough to say thats too much but i did notice it.

The 338 Lapua, 338 RUM and 338 Edge all have similar ballistics/velocities within 100 fps, or so. They all use slow burning powders such as H1000, Retumbo, etc. So barrel life will be about the same with all of them. How hot you load the round will have more bearing on barrel life than any of the three calibers.

What is true, is that you will get twice to three time the case life using Lapua brass. When you factor that into the cost of the brass, plus the inherent quality of the brass (read less case prep time), and the ability for Lapua brass to withstand higher pressures - the 338 Lapua is at least on par with the other two above.

Anymore, the calibers I shoot are determined in large part by whether or not Lapua makes brass for it.

Lapua brass is much better, I agree with that. It is $2.50 a piece where remington is $1. $2.50 isn't bad though when you compare it to weatherby at around $4 a pop.

I went with the rum instead of the lapua because of the bolt face. I wanted to use my standard magnum action. I really haven't done much research on the edge. I don't know how much difference the .090" would make. It sure is easy to buy 338 rum brass that doesn't need any sizing or trimming.

I shoot a 250 match king at 3150 fps. My brother-in-law has a 338 lapua improved and he shoots the 250 at 3170. He probablly could go more, I can't but at 20fps its not worth it to me. Forming brass either wasting bullets or going through the cream of wheat hassle. I would like to see what a regular lapua would do with the 250.

Barrel life is 6 one way and half a dozen the other. There is no fireforming involved in making 338 edge brass....... simply run 300 rum threw 338 expander add primer,powder,bullet and shoot. 338 rum vs 338edge is a toss up unless you already have 300 rum brass. Lapua brass lasts twice as long and cost twice as much, rem brass is very capable of .25moa with minimum prep and a forgiving cartridge like the edge.....again a toss up. 338 edge bushing dies are comparatively priced to 338 rum bushing dies. Both can be had in traditional fixed neck die fairly inexpensively, perhaps $25 more for a gutted 375rum fl body die for the edge............What ever you want out of these three will be awesome. Make no mistake...... There are different ways to skin a cat but these all end the same......... only some easier than others.

Okay so I'm leaning towards the .338 Edge. I've go a lot of Norma 300 RUM brass already and the stats on the cartridge are very impressive. I've also got a really large supply of Retumbo. :D Thank you for all the input gentlemen.

Steve

700 actions are not good candidates for the Lapua as stated.

If looking for the LR ballistics look at the 300 RUM and the new 215-230 grain 30 cal bullets.

If set on a 338, then the Edge is the way to go.

On the new barrel Melonite coat it ($100) and it will last 2-3x longer. Google Melonite here or on web for info.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/melonite-salt-nitride-barrels-100837/

BH

One load I played with was 97 grain retumbo in my 338 rum. It was a compressed load. Just wondering how much more retumbo will fit in the edge. Let us know what kind of velocity and loads you get with the edge. I am going to do some research on it. I'd like to rebarrel mine to go with 10 twist instead of 12 so that would be a great time to switch.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.