300 rum short barrel

Interesting that heavier bullets lose less, maybe I will give that a try as well. I will start with the proven load for this barrel when it was taller. Thanks for all the help.

just some hard data to look at rather than opinions --check out these 2 links and decide for yourself if its what you want ( not a direct 300rum, but gets you some ideas)

140 grains of H50bmg from a 20" vs a 30" side by side muzzle flash comparison--the short barrel does have more muzzle flash, but I personally wouldn't call this a "fire breathing dragon" (thanks Andrew)

338 lap barrel cut-down test : https://rifleshooter.com/2017/03/338-lapua-magnum-barrel-length-versus-muzzle-velocity-30-17-inches/

Last edited:
HELL YEAH Do it.... best production 30 cal ever made... making '' efficient wildcats'' scream for mercy right out of the box 😁 😁 😂 😁 😂 😁 and without having to run unicorn tears for powder!!!!
who cares about the so called firing breathing dragon haters... 200 gr at 3175 in a 22" barrel with measly h1000 whats not to love
Throwing a new 22" 9 twist chambered in 300 rum on a deviant ultra lite shortly be wearing an ultra 7!!! 😁

Do you ride a little mustang or something? I have put the heaviest 26" barrels I ever had in a scabbard before and never really thought they got in the way of anything. Might pull your saddle over to one side when you're not in it but other than that what's the point of feeding some stupid beast of burden all year if you can't make it carry your stuff?

Do you ride a little mustang or something? I have put the heaviest 26" barrels I ever had in a scabbard before and never really thought they got in the way of anything. Might pull your saddle over to one side when you're not in it but other than that what's the point of feeding some stupid beast of burden all year if you can't make it carry your stuff?

The only beast of burden I have around here is me.

And I don't like to carry any more weight than I absolutely have to lol. Plus I do a lot of pushing through alders and no matter how you carry a 26"or longer rifle it really gets hung up on them. Almost fell to my (possible) death climbing a rock face after some goats when my barrel got hung up in the alders or Willow that were somehow managing to cling to it

The only beast of burden I have around here is me.

And I don't like to carry any more weight than I absolutely have to lol. Plus I do a lot of pushing through alders and no matter how you carry a 26"or longer rifle it really gets hung up on them. Almost fell to my (possible) death climbing a rock face after some goats when my barrel got hung up in the alders or Willow that were somehow managing to cling to it

well the OP said the reason was horse packing. I agree short barrel is the way to go for the thick stuff.