.300 RUM Recoil

wstribrny

Hello all, This is my first post so i apologize if it is in the wrong section. I am going looking in to getting a .300 RUM and was wonder how manageable the recoil is. I am pretty much set on this caliber as of now but i would just like to get a heads up on it so i know what im getting myself into. I have shot a .388 ultra mag quite a few times (my brother owns one) so my question is, compared to the .338 how is the recoil of the .300 RUM. I only weigh in at 140. Am i going to have trouble dealing with the recoil? Thanks for any input.

If the rifle weighs 8.5-9 lbs and the stock is a good design with a good recoil pad the recoil is not objectionable. If you purchase a SPS "tupperware" stocked version it will kick the boogers out of you. Those stocks are just plain painful with the larger cartridges. The 338 RUM with its heavier bullets should recoil with more ft/lb if all other factors are the same.

If you handload you can work up your tolerance to the recoil by shooting lighter 150, 165 gr bullets or load it down a bit with the bullet of your choice.

My 300 RUM weighs 9 lbs. It is in a McMillan hunter stock, has a decelerator recoil pad. Recoil is not bad with this package and it shoots the 200 gr accubond at 3200 fps.

Here is a recoil calculator to help you get a clue of what you will experience vs the 338 RUM you shot.

Recoil Calculator

What AZshooter says is correct. I have a .300 RUM that weighs about 10.5 lb minus the scope and is a 700 Rem custom built with a #5 Hart barrel 26" and McMillan stock. Its about all I want in recoil. I do not have a muzzle break on it and at times on the bench wish it did but when hunting I have no problem. I'm also shooting the 200 AB bullet at 3200 fps but have never tried the lighter bullets as the gun was not built to be used with the lighter bullet nor do I need it for that. I will say this though. I do enjoy shooting my .308 700 VSSF a whole lot more. :)

These guys are right. Although, I would not load "down" the RUM.

Recoil is not as big as some calibers, but definitely sharp. A good recoil pad, and maybe one of those strap on shoulder pads. Recoil is kind of personal. What is ok for one is not for another.

On the bright side, there are ways to deal with it. In the end you may wind up with a break that makes it a pleasure to shoot.

Steve

A friend has a Sendero that shoots well. He put it in a McMillan A5 with integrated thumbwheel adjustable cheekrest. I shot it with and without the brake. I don't know the weight of the Sendero, but my lightweight sporter 30-06 kicks like a mad mule and the Sendero wasn't quite as bad without brake. It seemed like more of a "push" in comparison. A big push, but not nearly as "sharp" as my lightweight '06. I feel I could handle the recoil of the RUM, but it is rather pleasant to shoot with the brake.

Also, I was around 145lbs when I shot the Sendero without brake as it was right before I got married. That weight is WAY behind me now!!!:D

I have a factory Remington 700 LSS in 300RUM. It's a pretty light rifle (maybe 10lbs? max), but has a muzzle brake installed and works great. I bought the rifle used and it already had the muzzle brake, never shot it w/o.

Well the other day I thought what the hell...shot w/o and it will kick the snott out of you. It's amazing what the brake will do. I figure if I had a slightly heavier barrel and stock this thing would be a good multiple round shooter.

It's all about recoil management. I would recommend a Remington 700 Sendero and have a VIAS (spelling?) muzzle brake installed. Have one on my 7mm SAUM and it's AMAZING!

I have a 300 rum in a sendaro,loaded with 210 gr , 95 few rutumbo, it kinds like letting a guy. Hit u in the shoulder at about 3/4 full power ,a guy can take about half a dozen to a dozen before it gets dam tender, I had a Holland brake put on it now its a pleasure to shoot.

I have 300RUM I got rid of the tupperware stock real fast as it kicked the crap out of me. I am 6'2"@220 pounds and I can say short of the 458 this thing was the hardest recoil I had felt. I quickly changed to a HS precision stock. This tamed the recoil some but I still wear a magnum recoil pad on my shoulder if I am at the range and want to get any kind of accuracy after 6 shots.
I opted to not have a brake on this one but the older I get the better it sounds.
It is a great caliber if you can put up with the recoil out of a brakeless rifle.

I have a 300 RUM I do like it, I am about 150 pounds and it kick me a lot. it really depends on you, I try to shoot smaller calibers more often so I can stay steady. If all I shot was my 300 i would probably be jumpy. If I could do it all over again I would have got a 300 win mag or a 300 wsm. the 300 RUM has enough energy to take down an elk a lot farther than I am willing to shoot at one.

I have a .338 RUM that was intended to shoot 250 Accubonds. Neck surgery, arthritic hands, and other age stuff have combined to make this most unpleasant. Having been able to shoot .375's etc. from the bench in my youth, it took a bit of being "kicked around" before my ego would accept the change. I dialed it back by shooting 180 grain Accubonds and found shooting could still be fun. The rifle accepts it just fine, and I even managed to kill a Pronghorn with it last fall. If a hunt comes up that needs more bullet I can always switch back.gun)

I have a 700 SPS in a 300 Ultra Mag, which is a pretty light rifle. I also have a Remington 700 BDL in a 338 Win Mag. I cant personaly tell the difference in the recoil of the two.

I'm having a local gunsmith put on a holland brake on my 330 RUM Sendero now. It always it gave a good bite, but I could easily put 20 rounds of the 208 AMAX down range before getting shoulder fatigue. I'm not a big fan of muzzle brakes, but after this weekend's range session, I had enough. 10 rounds did me in. It was still sore from shooting the day prior, but this time it must of smashed a blood vessel in my shoulder, because now my entire bicep area is a purple/red bruise. That has never happened to me before, and I have never had a bruise quite like this one. It's my fault for not holding it tightly to my shouder, but trying to test a new load I needed the best accuracy. I heard the holland brake is the ticket, so I'll find out soon. I know they make the rifle create even more noise, but it was already an ear blaster. I'll be sure to have ear plugs when I hunt with it. Just curious if this has happened to anyone else?

I/my wife have a few of the 300 rums in the model 700 with the tupperware stocks. i shoot two of them, and then my dad, father in law and nephew also have one of them each. I bought them for possible future donor actions so my original intention was to just leave them. however, my dad put a defensive edge brake on his and wow what a difference it makes. i have used mine only a couple of times for hunting, and shooting steel and its a good shooter, but not nearly as fun to shoot. since then we have braked a couple more of them and i will brake the other one of mine that i shoot. for hunting, I dont think you or i would notice the recoil to be a problem, but we shoot alot of steel, and the braked version gets all the action. In the last two years, i have converted to absolutely loving Defensive edge brakes! these are the only ones i have ever used, so i cannot speak for any of the others. If you are going to use it for long range, my opinion is to brake it and i believe you will or could shoot the barrel out of it. if it is not braked you could still love it, but i would bet you wouldnt love to shoot it alot.

good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.