300 RUM recoil?

The only rifle I have ever sold was a 300 RUM that I had won. It was a factory plastic RMEF standard contour barrel. I tried to like it off the bench with factory rounds and reloads but one day on the bench I reached the conclusion that it was No Fun to shoot and never would be. Fortunately, someone else wanted it. Happy to see it go. It will thump you.

Guys just how bad is it? Still on the fence vs 300 win..I have a chance to get a RUM cheap...even when considering the cost of feeding it. ..
but I've heard some guys say it's rough..others not so bad
My oldest boy who is 15 recently decided to part with some hard earned cash and decided on a 300 rum in a Remington 700 long range. After sending it down to the fellas at spartan precision rifles in San Jose it received a new Timney trigger, bedding job, and an apa little bastard gen 2 brake. We have only had a chance to run a box of the Barnes ammunition loaded with the 180 ttsx. Recoil was quite mild. Almost on point with your average 243 Winchester.

I'm not a recoil sensitive guy, but it's not like I like it either. I used to own a Sendero in 300 RUM that was unbraked...wasn't much fun to shoot. Most people thought it was frankly terrible. I didn't think it was too bad, but you didn't get away with being sloppy with recoil management...ever. I have shot the same rifle but with a brake on it. It was absolutely awesome! So, if you're thinking that you're going to get one you'll probably love it with a brake and double ear pro. If you don't put a brake on it, you probably won't like it that much. Just saying.

Guys just how bad is it? Still on the fence vs 300 win..I have a chance to get a RUM cheap...even when considering the cost of feeding it. ..
but I've heard some guys say it's rough..others not so bad
How much you notice the recoil will have a lot to do with how well the rifle fits you. A 300 RUM that is set up to suit you won't bother you nearly as much as a lesser 300 that doesn't suit you.
Also depends on what you're used to using, and how recoil hardened you've become over time.

I built a 300RUM with a fairly heavy 26" bbl. I had visions of using the rifle to take whitetails at long(er) range. After working up a few loads at the bench I realized that it was only a matter of time before the scope would "get me". I knew that I could never shoot the rifle prone without injury. I eventually put a PK (Painkiller) brake on the rifle and found it much easier and safer to shoot. However, the blast, now redirected more rearward was intolerable. I really liked the gun but it had to go.

In the end, I pulled the barrel and had a new custom tube installed in 30Nosler. I did not install another brake. I'm currently loading at max 300Win velocities with 181gr Hammer Hunters and am very pleased to have gone this route.

The 300RUM is a great cartridge but it just isn't for everyone.

A general comment...for those of you disliking the concussion trade-off of a brake on such rifles...the Heathen and a few others offer 90 degree rear brake ports which greatly lessen the concussion from the brake. Yes, they reduce the recoil less than something like a Fat Bastard. But if it makes my relatively light (14lb) 338 Edge shoot manageably it should make a 300 RUM quite pleasant.

I have built and owned about 10 300rums. They all had Ross brakes on them and kicked less than my 308 without a brake. That is with 210, 215, 225 and 230s. I'll happily buy any rum since they are easily fixed. Concussion isn't bad

If I can shoot it suppressed or at a minimum without a brake, not interested. Seeing too much stuff die with smaller rigs these days. Interesting article for those who are having kids shoot braked rifles.

If I can shoot it suppressed or at a minimum without a brake, not interested. Seeing too much stuff die with smaller rigs these days. Interesting article for those who are having kids shoot braked rifles.

It mentions "confined spaces". Prone in the open ok? I'm guessing we would all be totally deaf if it was all the time

The guy in article was wearing plugs and muffs I do believe. One blast by an excited kid or hunter without hearing protection on while hunting and it will cause damage. No doubt the RUM delivers a massive ballistic package for very long range shooting. Just be aware of all the pros and cons to brakes.

I'm running a Rem 700 long range with Norma brass with 208gr eldm with 96.5gr rl 33 seated .030 off the lands, avg vel is 2975 with a single SD, I have no brake on my rifle but did put a limb saver on it. I would say it's somewhere between the recoil of my 7mag and 45-70, recoil doesn't really bother me I've sent a lot of lead down range and have no flinch issues but I will say it would probably be a bit much for most people, if you are worried about the recoil I would say go with a brake.
MVIMG_20191116_114345.jpg

I'm running a Rem 700 long range with Norma brass with 208gr eldm with 96.5gr rl 33 seated .030 off the lands, avg vel is 2975 with a single SD, I have no brake on my rifle but did put a limb saver on it. I would say it's somewhere between the recoil of my 7mag and 45-70, recoil doesn't really bother me I've sent a lot of lead down range and have no flinch issues but I will say it would probably be a bit much for most people, if you are worried about the recoil I would say go with a brake. View attachment 185795
[/QUOTE]
I will add that as I went up in powder charge to reach pressure at 100gr the recoil was much heavier and the SD was inconsistent so we're the groups.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.