300 RUM recoil?

DXHI

Guys just how bad is it? Still on the fence vs 300 win..I have a chance to get a RUM cheap...even when considering the cost of feeding it. ..
but I've heard some guys say it's rough..others not so bad

I haven't shot a 300 rum but have a good amount of trigger time behind a 7 rum. It is stout, it's not much fun to shoot, and it is not light. 26" sendero barrel, hs stock, I don't know the weight but it's the heaviest we have in the safe. To sight it in, we had to switch every 3 shots. Had the stock cut down 1.5" and put a limbsaver recoil pad and it is a little better. You really need to get on the gun, forward pressure, front hand on pulling down on the forend. I know a few guys that have 300 rum and every one sent it off to have a break installed.

Without a brake the RUM family are quite stout, I didn't like it at all.

With a brake. No problem, sort of. When shooting a RUM with a brake, you are definitely one with the concussion blast.

Get the RUM. It's as relaxing as a good workout.

Use the recoil calculator to do some comparisons:

Recoil Calculator

My 300 RUM weighs 9 lbs. When loaded with RL-33 I got 2975 from a 24" barrel and 230 gr berger hybrids. This computes to 41 ft/lb of recoil
I made a milder load with H-1000 for velocity of 2780 for recoil of just over 34 ft/lb

Stock design and how it fits you is a big factor in felt recoil. I have two friends that asked me to help load for their 300 RUMs. One is a Mark V action in a thumbhole, the other a Proof Research custom. The thumbhole was far worse with its felt recoil. Both were running the 230s with recoil of 38 ft/lb

You could buy the 300 RUM cheap and load it for a lower velocity. My lower load uses 86 gr of H-1000 with the 230 hybrid. You could go with a lighter bullet which would also reduce recoil.

Your only problem is finding brass. You either spring the bucks for Nosler or buy loaded Rem factory ammo and pull the bullets. There is no Rem brass available for the handloader.

Your only problem is finding brass. You either spring the bucks for Nosler or buy loaded Rem factory ammo and pull the bullets. There is no Rem brass available for the handloader.
At the moment.

The 300 RUM is on the fence for recoil to some. Over the top for others and no problem for some of us (I am in this group) But a pleasure to shoot with a good muzzle brake.

A good comparison can be seen on this Video.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a couple 300 rums. Well to be honest if you asked my wife, she'd tell you that it would be ok to own a couple and that I may have 3 or 4 to many:rolleyes:. Any way some have brakes and some don't. The lightest is right at 7 lbs bare rifle and the heaviest is what ever a rem. 700 bdl would weigh. The lightest is a custom by Kevin Weaver and has a brake and I don't mind shooting it at all, feel the recoil is very manageable. The rem 700 bdl doesn't have a brake and while I don't feel the recoil is just plan terrible, I will admit that I would not look forward to taking it to the range and run a box of shells through it. My Dad has one in a win. model 70 with no brake and a wood stock. That thing was down right miserable to shoot. If the rifle you are looking at has a brake I would think it would be very manageable if not then it might be a little on the stout side. The other thing to remember is that recoil effect every differently and different brakes perform differently. It would be nice if you could take the rifle out a shoot it a couple times. Good luck and have a great day.

Guys just how bad is it? Still on the fence vs 300 win..I have a chance to get a RUM cheap...even when considering the cost of feeding it. ..
but I've heard some guys say it's rough..others not so bad

Use the recoil calculator to do some comparisons:

Recoil Calculator

+1!

Felt recoil is different for each person, what is excessive for me might not be for you and vice versa. Due to the extreme possible variations in firearm design, grip design and people it will not give you a direct correlation from one firearm to another,

The recoil is bad enough that the owner sold me his Sendero SF2 to me after just 8 rounds for $750. I shot the rest of the box and sent it off to get a brake. Now it's a great gun and my girlfriend even shoots it.

Kind of depends on if you are ok with brakes on hunting rifles and what the rifle will be used for. If it's a carry rifle for elk, you won't feel the recoil much when taking an animal because of your adrenaline. As a range rifle and practice rifle for long range, things will get old really quick without a brake.

Kind of depends on if you are ok with brakes on hunting rifles and what the rifle will be used for. If it's a carry rifle for elk, you won't feel the recoil much when taking an animal because of your adrenaline. As a range rifle and practice rifle for long range, things will get old really quick without a brake.
+1

but

Hunting without a brake, you may feel it the next day LOL.

If you are going to shoot the rifle alot at range, get it braked. The people at the range won't like it much, but your shoulder will love it. I just purchased a Weatherby Vanguard In 300 Weatherby, and during load work up, which was 27 rounds, as the charge weights went up and so did the recoil, and by the time I got done, I was over it. It didn't really hurt but it seemed to fatigue me and I didn't even want to shoot my .243. But for hunting and just a few shots a year, you'll be fine...

I shot a 300 Ultra Sendero in the 1000 yard Benchrest factory class we had. I put in a VLS laminated Sendero stock, added lead to the butt, lead in a slot milled in the forend, and filled up the magazine mortise as well, about 4 extra pounds total, plus a Vias brake. Pet load was 190 SMK's at 3300.

I did set the range record with a 4.XXX" group, but I was **** glad when the barrel died. I had enough of it's buckin' and snortin' every time I pulled the trigger, and only spotting half the sighter shots in the berm, due to ending up three or four targets to the left after each shot.

I'd take a 300WM over the Ultra....

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.