300 RUM recoil?

The recoil is subjective to the shooter, but the 300 UM is a beast. I love them, and have had 4. Just get a good break and you can always load them down if the kick is a issue.
The biggest prob you will have is loading the big 215-230gr bullets in the supplied box mag, their just too long.
Chris
Benchmark

Another way to look at the recoil of a 300 RUM that has 35 to 40 ft/lbs of recoil average (A 7.5 pound 30/06 produces on average 22 ft/lbs of recoil) If you install a muzzle brake you should reduce the recoil of the 300 RUM from 35% to 70% (Around 10 ft/lbs). that is 1/2 the recoil of a 3006.

And now that I use ear protection when shooting anything, with or without a muzzle brake
I enjoy shooting a lot more and don't damage my ears any more than they are.

I have rifles with a lot more recoil than a 300 RUM that still don't have a muzzle brake on them
because I don't shoot them very much (But maybe someday).

Most people draw the line around 20 ft/lbs of recoil, so if a muzzle brake will allow them to use something larger for more down range energy, It is a winning choice.

J E CUSTOM

I used to own a Rem Sendero in 300 RUM. I also owned a custom 1917 enfield in 458 win mag. had it built heavier to handle recoil better. no brakes on either. I can say that the stock Sendero felt very similar to my 458. very stout and sharp recoil without a brake. manageable. not a many-round-range gun for sure. I no longer own either. I recently got back in to long range shooting. really considered getting another 300RUM Sendero since I already had some reloading components...decided not to because brass is nearly impossible to get. I now own a nice 338 Lapua which is a ***** cat recoil wise compared to that Sendero. it is the Savage FCP HS with a muzzle brake. no regrets.

I have a very light weight 300rum without a break and it does let you know it's there. Not something I would shoot all day long but for what I use it for it works great. I usually check zero once a year with a three shot group at a 100 and then shoot steel up to 500. After that it's a hunting gun the rest of the year. I have never noticed anything when in the field. I am sure a break and heavier gun would not be that bad.

Took me three years to get a rem 300 rum when they first come out with them.It had the gray laminated stock weighed about 8 pounds reloaded it with 190 bullets as hot as she would let me love shooting it. Put lots of rounds down her.My 30.06 kicks more than the rum.I sent her to William Roscoe he did his magic.And know she weighs 13.5 lbs.and has a brake.It fills like a 270 now.With out the brake about the same.Love the 300 Rums.gun)

Depends how much you want to shoot it also. If you want to shoot less than 20 -30 shots a year than I am sure it is no problem. But if you want any serious trigger time and practice that will NOT be miserable than this is not the caliber (most likely) for you.
Ever ask why you are getting this cheap???
Good luck

If recoil is the deciding factor between the 2 Go with a rum with a brake and thank me later. Better have an extended magazine though. Especially if u can get a RUM cheaper.

I have a 30-378, which is a kissing cousin to the 300 RUM. My buddy has the RUM and we both enjoy shooting them with brakes. I wear muffs now when shooting (electronic when hunting) so noise is not an issue. They are boomers though! So get a decent brake and start shooting. :)

I started with a Sendero 300 RUM without a brake and had another built on basically a Sendero platform with a brake. As some have said, recoil is different to different folks. I think a lot of that has to do with technique.

I shot my unbraked Sendero with a slip on recoil pad and I could literally shoot it all day. I forgot my slip on one day at the range and shot it just wearing a Carhart jacket... put about 20 rounds through it with no problem, and I'm not a big guy, 5'7" 170 or so :rolleyes:

It will indeed give you a jolt. But it's a matter of learning how to to absorb that jolt. You need to have the butt snugged up firmly in the pocket of your shoulder and you need to learn how to roll with it.

That said, when I had my second 300 RUM built, I had a brake installed. Much more nice to shoot and much easier to get back on target.

I have a semi custom Rem 700, Krieger heavy bbl, factory thumbhole stock, with a Jewell trigger, and a Vais muzzle break.......at the bench, it honestly kicks like a 223......but probably weighs 10 lbs.....carry it in a backpack (eberly x-1) helps A LOT! I would own 2 or three of these if I was 25 years younger...accuracy at 500 yards is scary ....honestly think I t would easy go to 1000, IF I was practiced a t that distance....load is 210 Berger at around 93 grains......my load, don't copy unless...you know the spiel......rsbhunter

I have a Rem Sendero 300RUM with a HS precision Thumbhole stock, that I single feed 230gr Bergers at 2980fps. It has a ton of rounds down range and shoots bug holes! I have a Gentry Quiet Brake that I love! I have 3 rebarreled rifles in 308, 6.5-06imp, and 300wm, and if I need to go out and hit something past 500 yards it is my go to gun! The problem is it takes a pack horse to get it to the hills for hunting with all of the hardware it takes to use it effectively!

I love my 300 RUM!

My 18 year old son and I each have a 300 RUM that we use to hunt mule deer and elk in Utah. Both rifles have heavy fluted sendero barrels with suppressors (we use muzzle brakes at times too). The felt recoil with either the muzzle brake or suppressor is very manageable, however, I prefer hunting with a suppressor because I can do so either with light or no earplugs.

We shoot 185 gr or 210 gr Burger VLD Hunting bullets with around 92 gr to 90 gr of powder.

When I got the first 300 RUM, it had a light sporter barrel, wood stock and no muzzle break. I had to use my son's lacrosse shoulder pads to shoot it! Essentially, the rifle was unusable for me. Once I rebarrled the rifle and installed a muzzle break, the felt recoil became very manageable and the rifle was very easy to shoot. However, the muzzle break deflects the sound toward the shooter and I damaged my left ear permanently (it is ringing as I type). The suppressor fixed the sound problem without materially changing the felt recoil.

The rifles are heavy. We don't use horses or ATV's to get where we hunt. We carry them a long way in steep terrain. However, the rifles are very accurate and can take significant abuse. We are extremely confident with them out to 1,000 yards or more in all types of weather conditions. We would not trade these rifles for something that is lighter.

However, the muzzle break deflects the sound toward the shooter and I damaged my left ear permanently (it is ringing as I type). The suppressor fixed the sound problem without materially changing the felt recoil.

Snowbird, I hear your ringing too...One shot from my breaked 300 RUM and I have permanent tennitus in both of my ears. Sometimes I am annoyed at the totally nonchalant recommendations of "just put a break on it and be happy" on this site. You cannot replace your ears (or you loved ones) and with something like a breaked RUM it ONLY takes ONE shot. Is it worth it? For most on this site it seems so.

Anyway, I think suppressors are the way to go and I love my RUM. Whats your total barrel length with the suppressor? I currently am at about 30 inches with a 28" barrel and a Vais break.

Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.