300 RUM project coming along nicely

ahiaring

This past summer and Fall the LR 6.5 CTR/NF combo followed me around everywhere with awesome success. However, I have a 300 rum "project" that was my "backup rifle" that followed me along as well. Now that my big game hunting is over for the year I have been putting effort into getting the RUM finished.
I am building this as a specialty rifle for LR elk hunting (I plan to keep using the 6.5 for everything else I hunt). We hunt in some of the most Rugged Wilderness in Idaho were cross canyon shots are the norm and you want a big bull to go down on the spot- chasing and elk in this country is a nightmare. Here is the project update so far.

Rem 700 AWR 5R 300 Rum
Timney 510 at 2.5 pounds
Wyatts Box opened up to approx. 3.780"
McMillan Hunter Edge, GAP Camo, glass bedded and floated
Kampfield Hunter Knob, TI Fluting, Webbing
Matching barrel contour Gentry Brake

I had a VX3 3.5-10X40 on it in Talleys just to get me by as a backup this fall. That has since been removed. The rifle weights 6 pounds 15 oz per the pics below with half talleys attached.

I will top it with one of three scopes in order of preference
1. ATACR 4-16X42 F1 Milr
2. New Kahles 3-18x50
3. NXS 3.5-15X50 ZS Milr

If I go with the NXS, I will role the dice with 30mm Talleys - If I go with one of the other two, it will be a steel base and Warne MNT Tech 34mm rings. Should finish in the 9-9.5 pound range.

Plan to start out with 220 grain Lapua Scenars….The 139's shot so well in my CTR and did so well on game, Im hooked.

kp71NlF.jpg

hqwehZi.jpg

kioqOx6.jpg

nffBlAy.jpg

Don't overlook the March 2.5-25x52mm as far as scopes go, same price range, better glass than the NXS & gen1 ATACR, and ~10oz lighter. I don't have a Khales or enhanced ATACR to compare.

I'm planning to pick one of those AWR in 300 rum. I've heard they are great shooters

I had an xcr2 in a mcmillan edge with a light scope, thing kicked like a mule! Are you going to install a brake or magna port?

I've had my 700 Long Range 300 R.U.M. for several years now and I reload it for .,308, 30-06 & 300 ,win mag equivalents
150gr, 165gr, 180gr & 200gr
I found that I was only taking my 300 RUM out and my 308 & 30-06 were just collecting dust, .so I sold my 308 and I am in the process of selling my 30-06 .
Therefore I will be able to concentrate more on my grandkids rifles 243 and a 6.5 Creedmoor that I am hoping to get them for Christmas.

I love my RUM as well. How much does the brake help?
Depends on the brake. One day last year I put 125rds through two 7mm STW's, one .375 Ruger, one Rum and two WM's in a couple of hours at the range.

No bruising and was barely the least bit sore the next day.

I run these on all of them.

https://www.macsgunworks.com/muzzle-brakes

Tamed my .375 enough to make it flat out fun to shoot and the Rum's are no problem whatsoever for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.