300 RUM Powders

W

*WyoWhisper*

I did a search thing but couldn't seem to find anyone who talked about the best powders for "light" and "heavy" bullets in the 300 UM..

I have this rifle on the way from the smith..

the 2 powders I have heard good things about are H1000 ( which I like ) and 50 BMG... but what about RETUMBO??

the bullets I am planning on trying are...

175 gr SMK.. way over looked.. should be a lazer to 500 and a good "inside of 1K" bullet for deer..

190 gr SMK mostly outta respect...

the 200 and 220's.. mostly the 220's...

I have thought about some a-max's

Boyd I woulda e-mailed you directly but since it was hard to find doing a search I thought everyone would like to know... ( you can e-mail me your secret load so Darryl keeps wonderin'
grin.gif
)

Also is there a huge difference between the Fed 215 and the 215M ... ie: enough to make a difference???

Ric

If you are going to try the 175 SMK in the 300 RUM as a LAZER trajectory round, look at the 155 Lapua Scenar (NOT the 155 SIERRA PALMA)... It has the same BC as the 175 and 20 grains lighter, should get you a little more speed and a flatter LAZER trajectory..

Howdy Wyo,

Save your money and buy the regular primers. The only difference is the match primers get a visual inspection in QC to make sure the anvil is in place. Unless you are thinking of hunting a lot below 10 degrees farenheight, you may have better accuracy and velocity with the 210.
wink.gif

Retumbo does not give top velocity with the lighter bullets in cases over 100 grains. RL-22, RL-25, and H-1000 will really make the light ones haul __s.
grin.gif

My lazer bulllet choice to 500 would be either the 125 Nosler Bt (4,000 fps.) or the Berger 155 (3,680 fps.)
grin.gif

[ 04-22-2003: Message edited by: S1 ]

RL 25 seems to be my 300RUM's fave...
Tried Retumbo Sat., and we had really wicked wind shifts, so couldnt tell much...no chrony..
Seemed to like the 180 Sciroccos though...I use Fed. 215M primers....maybe I should try the 210's...sakofan...
confused.gif

With the 26in barrel on my 300rum,the 180gr and above shoot well with H-1000 and IMR-7828.Below 180 it likes H-4831 hands down.Havent tried Retumbo yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.