300 RUM or 338 Win Mag?

duster

I am going to do one of these in a Striker original mid-grip. Since I don't have access to Quick Loads and on-line data is scarce, I am puzzled which would be better (trajectory and energy) for mid-range (5-600 yards) on big game.
I am limited by state law to a 16" barrel. My feeling is the RUM will lose so much in the short barrel that it will not out perform the 338, but without the data it's just a guessing game.
Please don't suggest other calibers. I Have them.
I would very much appreciate anyone with experience or software jumping in to help.
THANKS in advance.

I am going to do one of these in a Striker original mid-grip. Since I don't have access to Quick Loads and on-line data is scarce, I am puzzled which would be better (trajectory and energy) for mid-range (5-600 yards) on big game.
I am limited by state law to a 16" barrel. My feeling is the RUM will lose so much in the short barrel that it will not out perform the 338, but without the data it's just a guessing game.
Please don't suggest other calibers. I Have them.
I would very much appreciate anyone with experience or software jumping in to help.
THANKS in advance.
I can do anything I want in the US with a 30 caliber.
@rickiesrevenge has or had a 300RUM center-grip XP (18" barrel).
What bullet weight were you considering for each cartridge?
Does a muzzle brake count against your barrel length (it shouldn't, but I don't know what your state regs are)?
I used to have 15.75" 7.82 Patriot (Lazzeroni SA Magnum case that is larger than the 300 WSM). 180's around the 2750 fps mark and 150's just of 3000 fps. The RUM will outrun that with a 16" barrel.
What barrel contour are you considering?
Plastic factory stock or the laminated stock?

I can do anything I want in the US with a 30 caliber.
@rickiesrevenge has or had a 300RUM center-grip XP (18" barrel).
What bullet weight were you considering for each cartridge?
Does a muzzle brake count against your barrel length (it shouldn't, but I don't know what your state regs are)?
I used to have 15.75" 7.82 Patriot (Lazzeroni SA Magnum case that is larger than the 300 WSM). 180's around the 2750 fps mark and 150's just of 3000 fps. The RUM will outrun that with a 16" barrel.
What barrel contour are you considering?
Plastic factory stock or the laminated stock?
To start, the brake does not count with the length. Considering the factory magnum contour for both. The 300 Rum will be a Large shank turned down and re-threaded. Not a heavy contour.
Plan to use the factory plastic stock. Thinking 180's or 200's in the Rum. 185-225 in the Win. Of course it will be braked,

Great!
Personally, I would go with a Holland Radial Baffle brake.
Plastic stock as a reputation of flexing, so you might try to find a way to make it more stable/rigid if possible.
Rifle or pistol scope?

I've read with much interest about using rifle scopes, but I'm a little nervous about getting my eye that close.

Last edited:
I've read with much interest about using rifle scopes, but I'm a little nervous about getting my eye that close. So, are you thinking RUM Ernie?
Of the two specific cartridges, that's the way I would go.
Given your distance parameters for game (even while staying in 30 caliber), that is not the way I would go.

What would you go with in a different 30 caliber Ernie?
I am in the process right now of getting a 300 SAUM center-grip XP built.
I have that 500-600 yard max distance in mind with elk.
That would be one option.
300 WSM - A tad more powder, but a great option as well.
These are both SA Magnum cartridges.
300 Sherman Short would be another SA option: https://shermanwildcatcartridges.com/about-ss-cartridges

Going LA cases that actually work in a XP-100, so I am assuming they should work in the Striker too:
30-280AI (280AI case necked up to 30 caliber). Puts in the ballpark of the SAUM and WSM.
300 Winchester Magnum
300 PRC

All of these have less capacity than the RUM. Since you are only looking for 500-600 yards, I personally don't see the benefit of the added recoil of the RUM for a hunting specialty pistol.
Would I use a rifle scope on all of the above? Yes! It would have a Holland Radial Baffle Brake on it too.

For what you are wanting, I would stay with a SA cartridge.
Since this is your build, choose the cartridge that you want!

Thanks for your suggestions Ernie. I appreciate your experience and time replying to this question.
While I did state 5-600 yards as my maximum range I guess secretly I was hoping to use this for extra long range shooting this coming summer. I reasoned that the best choice at 500 would also be the best choice at greater distance.
I should have been honest with myself and others about what I was actually looking for
I have a 300 Win Mag Striker and that pretty well duplicates the performance of 30 caliber the suggestions you made.
Maybe it's winter boredom, but after reading some of the threads about long range specialty pistols here I got the urge to build something with a little more horsepower/flatter trajectory.
My main difficulty has been in finding data for 16" barrels. So ballistic charts are worthless.
You provided a link to a wealth of information on the 300 RUM in a 16" barrel, which was very helpful, THANKS!
I haven't found any 16" data for the 338 Win Mag.
I am primarily looking to use available factory barrel chamberings, nothing exotic.
I would greatly appreciate if you would offer pointers on selecting a rifle scope for this build. Other than as much eye relief as possible what is the criteria I should be looking for?
THANKS.

I am primarily looking to use available factory barrel chamberings, nothing exotic.
I would greatly appreciate if you would offer pointers on selecting a rifle scope for this build. Other than as much eye relief as possible what is the criteria I should be looking for?
THANKS.
Sent you a PM.
E

I had an 18" 300 RUM Striker and it shot the 180 Accubond at 3100 fps. I'd expect the same load in a 16" barrel to be around 3000+ fps.

If choosing between a 300 RUM and a 338 Win Mag, I'd go 300 RUM. If one of the bigger 338s was an option, I'd pick that over the 300. A high BC .338 bullet in the 200gr range would perform pretty well out of a 16" 338 Win Mag, but probably wouldn't go much over 2800 fps.

It took me a little while to get comfortable behind a specialty pistol with a rifle scope. A good muzzle brake and slowly working my way closer to the scope helped. I started at lower powers so I could hold a little farther back, and slowly worked my way closer.

Unless you're going to a big 338 I would do a 30. I doubt the 338 win mag would be very impressive. I dont have a 338 win but I do have a 330 dak. Its one I look back on and wouldn't do again.

33 cal in a SP requires a good muzzle brake and a lot of weight.

They move a lot with the heavy bullets you would want for the SP.

7 or 30 in a big magnum is the sweet spot where you can get a reasonable weight gun and use a good brake and be rifle scope happy.

I do have a 33 nosler. It's heavy….as in 12 lbs and it still moves a lot.