300 RUM or 338 win mag on elk?

redandwhite72

I have Remington 700 in 300 RUM. I have a Savage 116 in 338 win mag. Which would be better for elk at 300-500 yards?

The RUM is quite a bit flatter but the win mag is bigger.

It's really going to depend on the bullet chosen more than the cal, personally only going to 600 yards I'd load a 250 Berger in the 338 and rally. If wanting to push 1000+ yards then a 230 Berger in the 300 RUM.

Bigngreen, I have no plans to shoot past 500-600 yards at an animal. For me the closer the better. But in the area we hunt, if the shot isn't within 20 yards its 300 and up.

Personally I like the 338 Win in your situation, not near the monster a RUM is when you rip one of and an elk rolling through the timber gun)

I have never hunt elk,but have seen a lot of moose taken with the 338 and 300 rum.Out to 250 yards there is not any better moose stopper than the 338.I have seen over 20 taken with it and none of them went anywhere ,but down.Out past 250 yards the 300 rum takes over.I seen several taken over 5oo yards with no problems.

I don't think it matters in the lest which one you use. Both calibers are more than capable of killing an elk at long and short distances. Take the one you like shooting the most.

I have Remington 700 in 300 RUM. I have a Savage 116 in 338 win mag. Which would be better for elk at 300-500 yards?

The RUM is quite a bit flatter but the win mag is bigger.
if you hand load either. If you are using factory ammo IIWM I'd go with the RUM.

As has been said both will get the job done.

I rechambered my 338WM to 338/26-Nosler and used a TTSX 185.

If you hand load, TTSX at ~3000 fps will be fantastic in the 338WM.

For elk out to 500 yards I would go with the 338 win mag every day and twice on sunday.

Either one will hammer an elk, but the win mag will have less recoil.

Thanks for the responses fellows. I think I will get a load for the 338 and run with it. It weighs 3lbs plus less than the 300 does also. So it will be a lot easier pack too. I was just making sure it would do the job to 5-600 yards. I appreciate all your help.

What can you shoot better? My 12 year old daughter used my .300RUM for her bull last year. But...it has a brake on it. The elk, literally, did not even twitch after the shot. Absolutely 100% DRT. My last elk went a total of 2 yards with the same rifle.

Look closely, and you can see the bull right at the top of the small broken off tree.

She threaded the needle and made a perfect shot. Confidence in the rifle putting the bullet where it needed to go was key.

Wow...great bull and photos! I would go with the RUM. I took my savage 116 300 RUM out to 500 yards on a 6x6 inch steel plate and hitting it was ridiculously easy. I got 10 hits in a row before I forgot to dial for wind once it picked up. The accuracy and repeatability of the RUM was definitely a confidence booster IMHO. BUT I have never shot a .338 win mag. I have seen it in action on a coyote hunt and it blew the poor thing literally clean in half. It was a 150 yard broadside shot. I was unsure of the bullet choice by my friend, but his .338 win mag was still impressive none the less.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.