300 RUM or 300 Norma Mag

KamoAggie

Application - Hunting everything from whitetail, mule deer, elk, Moose, Nilgai, and Africa. Shots from 100 - 800 (maybe...).

Which would you pick and why? pros and cons to each? Is recoil really that different between the two with a good break?

Many thanks!

Are you a reloader? We did a reamer on the 300 Norma mag with an improved shoulder. We call it the 300 Fat Girl. It duplicates 300 rum vel with 10g less powder. Shorter oal so it fits nicer in the mag than the rum.

With a good brake there should be very little diff in felt recoil.

Steve

No, I don't reload but have someone close to where I live that does. Don't mind the cost for good, load developed ammo. If cost of powder isn't an issue, and recoil is virtually the same, is there a reason to not go RUM?

They're both kick ***!! I personally like the 300 rum for several reasons..
one- there are ample factory options if you need them
two- there are three times as many brass makers for the 300 rum
three- the case size is about perfect for everything your going to ever come across needing to shoot out of it and really shines with the heavy heavies.
four- there's a lot more load data for the rum from 100gr bullets to 240gr or heavier custom made stuff. granted it wouldn't be hard to do a ladder with all bullets in the norma but some times a guy just wants some where to start.
five- I Like the 30 deg shoulder on the rum better.
six- can be built using a standard length action whether shooting heavies or lights just needs the right smith,,, but done right its best to have them in atleast a wyatts 3.850" best in 4.00" two down one in the pipe no matter how hard you push a norma it ain't keeping up with that big girl when you give er room to breath!!
recoil will be identical in any rifle light or heavy.

Application - Hunting everything from whitetail, mule deer, elk, Moose, Nilgai, and Africa. Shots from 100 - 800 (maybe...).

Which would you pick and why? pros and cons to each? Is recoil really that different between the two with a good break?

Many thanks!
The Defensive Edge .300 Terminator would be a good one.

I've been shooting the .300 RUM since its introduction in 1999. Now I shoot the .300 Norma Mag. which IMHO is a far better cartridge for hunting or target shooting. Any of the seating depth problems are negated by the shorter case allowing these longer heavier bullets to be seated out to magazine length. The standard long action magazine work just fine without having to cobble up the action just to use a longer magazine box. I run both the fixed internal boxes as well as the DBM systems for hunting and target shooting.

The .300 Norma Magnum has been adopted by the U.S. military so none of the lists will stand up for much longer. As with the .30-06, .308 and the .223 previously, the supply lines will fill up given the ever increasing demand for new brass, cheaper manufacturing and the surplus supply in support of a newer military cartridge. That's just the way things play out. Besides, Norma, Lapua, Hornady and Peterson already make brass with other makers in development. The retail ammunition will follow along quickly enough as the demand outstrips the supplies. Reloaders are sitting in tall cotton given the selection of .30 caliber bullets and magnum capacity powders.

If you still feel undergunned, call one of the reamer makers and order an improved version of this cartridge. I went with a 30 degree shoulder and slightly blown out sides for an increase in case capacity and slight improvement in powder selection.

There is plenty of reloading data online currently, more than enough to get someone started on the right path to load development. If you can't find that starting load for that one super special combination, start a topic here or elsewhere to get some information.

Enjoy the process!

I would pick the Norma hands down. I see a few significant advantages:

-Lapua brass (big advantage)
-Military adoption means continued support and popularity
-Shorter case length means you can seat bullets further out to take better advantage of the capacity while still fitting in a long action/CIP magazine
-Well known reputation for being easily tunable and extremely accurate

The one potential con of the Norma is that it requires a Lapua bolt face, which may limit your action choices.

Both chamberings will require you to reload in order to take full advantage of their performance. I run a 40 degree improved 300 Norma and it routinely shoots 230 Bergers sub 0.5 MOA with very minimal load development. Velocity is around 3060 in Norma brass with good case life. I suspect the Lapua brass will allow 3100+ with even better case life.

I like the name "Norma" so that gets my vote. It's sorta normal like me with a little "a" on the end as in, "it kicks "a".

I am running a Norma now ran a RUM before, They'll both kill stuff just fine.. Btw Bertrambrass.com has both rum and norma brass in stock.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.