300 RUM or 300 Jarrett

Well I know I am about a year late posting a reply, but I was searching on some 300 RUM info for a friend and found this.

I own both a customized 300 RUM and three 300 Jarrett's. I think Kenny Jarrett is the best custom hunting rifle builder in the world and consider him a friend, know his children, etc. Having said that, what I am about to say might surprise you.

I first searched out Kenny 15 years ago to build the best Elk rig for me. The caliber was 300 Jarrett. Remember, there was no 300 Rem Ultra mag at that time.
After using the full size 300 Jarrett in his Coup De Grace series, I bought a 300 Jarrett( actually 2) in Kenny's Windwalker series. What a rifle! Jarrett accuracy in a 7 lb. package with a Swarovski scope. Nobody does that! The thing points like a fine English shotgun.

Later, I was going to take a friends 18 yo son on an Elk hunt. He had a 270 and I decided to buy a "loaner" elk rifle. I researched the newly released 300 Ultra mag. I bought a Rem VSS in 300 Ultra Mag., sent it to Bob Hart for glass bedding, trigger work and a brake. WOW. this turned out to be a shooting and killing machine.

In summary, there is nothing that can compare to a totally custom rifle with a totally custom wildcat cartridge. However, if you want something that does 85% of the job at 10% of the price and gives you the ability to buy ammo over the counter when the airline has lost your painstakingly handcrafted loads, I do not believe you can beat the 300 Rem. Ultra Mag.

Sorry Kenny. I know the 300 Jarrett is more effecient and probably inherently more accurate. It also wins the "cool" factor race, but the 300 RUM is a fine round. Those who shoot it are well equipped for sure.

I've got two 300 Rums, one is a Remington LSS and the other a Remington Sendero. Very Happy with both of them. Next one coming, The Lord Willing,
would be a 338 Edge in a Savage action using a drop-in 30" Douglas barrel.

Point being, 2 300 RUMS an the next one another 300 RUM necked up to 338.

Forthcoming. Waiting on a scope first before pics. A rifle just doesn't look right without a scope on it.

I will be building my Jarret in the next 3 months or so. Have seen many of them being built and sighted one in on one of Speedy's customer's rifle before it was delivered. That was all it took I knew I wanted one but with the 300 Slowpoke which is a wildcat off of a 300 RUM and the other 30's it has had to wait. I have the reamer's still in the tubes and will be making dies as well but just so there is no doubt about the Cartridge --- it is accurate. Just depends on who builds it as to how accurate it is.

My best friend shoots one that Speedy built and it shoots lights out with me pulling the trigger lol! When I say lights out I mean it will regularly shoot .4 with 5 shots at 300 ---- even if I was not loading the ammo (my buddy is more of a reloader than a handloader) which I will be on mine so it is next on the list to build in the S/S rifles.

I had Kenny build a .300 Jarrett for me a number of years ago (it is one of the "Accuracy Legend" series). The rifle has a 24" 1:12" #4 contour Jarrett barrel (one of his first) with a brake, and it will shoot a 165 Ballistic Tip at 3450 fps and a 200 gr Partition at 3125 fps with 82.5 and 78 grs of RL22 respectively. Accuracy when new with the Ballistic Tip was sub 1/2" and the Partition was sub 3/4" for 3 shots. I haven't shot a group with it in some time so I don't know what it will do now.

There was no .300 RUM when I had this rifle built and I hear what everyone is saying. They are probably right and I may have reached the same conclusion had it been available. However, the .300 Jarrett is a pretty good choice and although it is a wildcat, you are not as out of luck as you think should your ammo not arrive. It will fire both .300 Weatherby and .300 H&H with no problem. The Weatherby ammo is at least as common as the .300 RUM ammo so there is no difference from that standpoint.

Dan

My factory Sendero and 26" tube push 208 A-Max at 3200 FPS without much effort
hey, i'm finding some realy interesting reading. i am working on to get into reloding but am fascinated by your load results. i was wondering if you would'nt mind sharing some info. I am wanting to load the 200gr accubond at or around the same velocity, and would greatly appeciate any help. I have a 700bdl 300 rum with a swarovski 3-10x42. I have shot factory nos partitions around a moa, but am looking for top performance. I also have a sendero 300rum that i havent shot yet because i have not been able to scope it yet. Any help would be appreciated. thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts