300 RUM - Nosler or Sierra Gameking

NotEnoughTriggerTime

I'm looking to start reloading my 300 RUM, and am looking for a good bullet to start with. I'm shooing a Savage with a 26" barrel, with 1 in 10 twist.

Planning on shooting groundhogs, and possibly whitetail deer (I know - waaay too much gun)

I was looking at either starting with Sierra 168 gr Gamekings, or Nosler Ballistic tips, probably the 180 gr bullet.

Are these good ones to start with, or should I start with something heavier - 200 gr range?

I like to shoot the bullet weight that my barrel shoots best. My .300 Jarrett, similar to the .300 RUM, shoots 200 gr. bullets better than any other bullet weight I've tried. In my experience, at ranges under at least 200 yards even the 200 gr. SGK have blown up on every elk I've shot with them, and failed to exit. Lighter bullets seem to be even more explosive. You might want to try a more substantial bullet for ranges under 300 yards, for things you want to eat. Just my .02$

HELLO
SKIP THE GAMEKING SKIP THE BT GO STRAIGHT TO THE 200 GR SMK BULLET. SHOOTS GREAT AND RIPPS THEM DEER A NEW ***. MY SHOOTING TEAM AND I KILLED 2 WHITETAIL DOE AT 450 YARDS WITH A 300 RUM WITH THESE BULLETS TRAVELING 2925 AT THE MUZZLE A RIPPED A HOLE THE SIZE OF A GRAPE FRUIT IN THEM AT 450YARDS AND DROPPED THEM DEAD IN THERE TRACKS.
JUST MY 3 CENTS
ROCK ON.... ERIC 11 <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is what lrwoodchuck meant to post under this topic, just wanted to make shure you seen this. I was part of the team and grape fruit is no exaggeration.
wink.gif

Right now I'm looking at the results of testing a guy did on 180 grain .30 caliber bullets shot between 1400 and 3100 fps in deer. He shot up a LOT of road-kill deer on these test, and the results are surprising in many ways, but follow a lot of field experience people have had. He compiled data on over 1700 shots. He tested up to where the bullet basically loses all of its weight, and tested down to where the bullet stopped opening up. Besides showing the tabulated data, he also shos pictures of the bullets. Three bullets per type per velocity. The velocity was run in 100 fps steps.

At 3100 fps a LOT of the bullets shed a LOT of their weight. Unless the bullet is of a partition or a bonded design, the bullet loses most all of it's weight.

For instance, at 2600 fps the Matchking is down to 66 grains, it basically falls apart starting at 2400 or 2500 fps. Penetration was 17" It needs at least 2000 fps to reliably open up. It'd be fine hunting at long ranges, but don't expect a lot of penetration at close ranges with your cannon. The Nosler Partition held together up through 3100 fps, retaining 125 grains, and had 17" of penetration. At 2700 fps it weighed 129 grains and had 19.7" of penetration. The Nosler needs at least 1800 fps to open up. This supports the great reputation this "old standby" has.

It appeareed that the overall winner for high-velocity weight retention and deep penetration was the Swift A-Frame which retained 167 grains. Not surprising based upon its reputation. Other good performers of commonly available bullets were the Barnes X, Nosler Partition, Remington Core-Lokt (gasp!), Trophy Bear Claw, and the Winchester Fail Safe. For lighter whitetails, exploding bullets and deep penetration are less of a concern.

Mark in Utah

300-GTS THANKS
THANKS FOR FIXING THAT SCREW UP. I GOT THE RAIL STOCK FOR THE 7-300 BRING IT DOWN SOME TIME, FOR SOME MEASUREMENTS. LATER ERIC
smile.gif
smile.gif

Just picked up some 200 gr Sierra Match Kings - on sale $18/box of 100!

Next items - powder & primer....

What do you guys use behind these darts of a bullet? They are pretty long!

How deep do you set them in? In a factory loading there isn't that much bullet sticking out, as compared to whats got to be in the case. I suppose mag length dictates this.

Not,

You might want to try some 125bt in that cannon when you go for chucks you'll get a heavy red mist
grin.gif
, you'll that the smk dont expand very well on them.
Good shootin,
Brian

I use 78 gr. RL 22 in my .300 Jarrett with 200 gr MK. Fast and accurate. This is also a max load in my rifle, and I drop 3gr. when it's hot out.

I started using the 300 ultra mag this year and I am really happy with it. I killed a Dall Sheep in Alaska at 576 yds and a Whitetail in PA at 703 yds. I use 100gr of Retumbo 180 gr Nosler BT, Fed 215m primers, OAL 3.600. This load in my rifle is just shy of 3500fps., 26"HART barrel.

Mark in Utah,

The data you post sounds very interesting. Is there an online source for it? Or can you buy it anywhere? Please post some more info about how to get a look at the full experiment.

thanks,
gfp

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.