300 RUM Newbie Advice

levers4life

First post here. been lurking for years, great info and seems like a very helpful community. I have been reloading for a few years but this will be my first go with the Ultra Mag. Been shooting factory ammo through it. Remington 700 standard barrel - 26", standard length magazine. I will be using this primarily for Axis, Whitetail & Feral Hog at 200-450yds this year.
I know, I don't need a RUM for this but variety is the spice, right?
I'm thinking Nosler Partition 165gr at approx. 3100-3300fps, Remington Brass, CCI Match Mag primer.....what powder? Also info on seating depth would be helpful.
I have RL-25 & H1000 on hand but I'm open to others if one shines over the rest.
Would just like to get some experienced advice. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Think about a 175 Barnes LRX @ 3300+. I have a load that is 3350fps under .5MOA.
About 88.0-92.0gr H1000 (for temp stability & clean burning).
It will hold together very well at extreme speeds, and hit them like a lightning bolt well past your desired range. I have also found them much more accurate than a Partition.

Or load up a 210-215 Berger w. H1000, and be set to shoot at extended ranges in the future. They will still work fine for closer shots as well. We have used them from 60 to 880+ with great results on everything from coyotes to big bull elk.

The 300 rum is a great cartridge weather you are a long range hunter or keeping it under 500y. This being a long range forum you are going to get advice that leans toward the 1000y world of hunting. As far as I am concerned, long range is whatever seems long to you. Sounds like your range at this point is what I consider normal range hunting (under 600y). Max point blank range with the rum is what it was originally designed for. It has the horse power to shoot very long range or be a laser beam to 600y. You could run a bullet like our 166g Hammer Hunter at a vel around 3600fps, zero it at 375y and hold dead on out to 440y (max point blank range calced at 3000' elev) and stay in a 5" radius. No worries about high vel bullet blow up or massive meat damage. This bullet will handle bone impact equally as well as pure lung shot.

Steve

Yeah, I have been running 180's in the factory ammo I've been shooting but I had these on hand and figured they were more than enough for what I'm hunting this year. The other part of this equation is I'll be using whatever load I develop this season for SW Montana mulies and antelope next year, I'm hoping for one load with both. I thought maybe the 165's would be a good balance. Plus I run them for .308 and '06 and I'm a cheap skate! Thanks for the reply....

The 300 rum is a great cartridge weather you are a long range hunter or keeping it under 500y. This being a long range forum you are going to get advice that leans toward the 1000y world of hunting. As far as I am concerned, long range is whatever seems long to you. Sounds like your range at this point is what I consider normal range hunting (under 600y). Max point blank range with the rum is what it was originally designed for. It has the horse power to shoot very long range or be a laser beam to 600y. You could run a bullet like our 166g Hammer Hunter at a vel around 3600fps, zero it at 375y and hold dead on out to 440y (max point blank range calced at 3000' elev) and stay in a 5" radius. No worries about high vel bullet blow up or massive meat damage. This bullet will handle bone impact equally as well as pure lung shot.

Steve
Thanks Steve, I've been bumming around the hammer site too :) looks like some impressive merchandise you guys are putting out. Is there a reloader's sample pack of the hammers? Just so I could see how they play out in my rifles? I'd be interested in .257, .264 and .300 calibers
As far as long range hunting goes, about 500 is my comfort level right now for ethical hunting. Being in the Texas Hill Country that's the longest my range goes across a 50 acre pasture....too may hills and trees!

Thanks Steve, I've been bumming around the hammer site too :) looks like some impressive merchandise you guys are putting out. Is there a reloader's sample pack of the hammers? Just so I could see how they play out in my rifles? I'd be interested in .257, .264 and .300 calibers
As far as long range hunting goes, about 500 is my comfort level right now for ethical hunting. Being in the Texas Hill Country that's the longest my range goes across a 50 acre pasture....too may hills and trees!
Yes we can do samples. It is on my list of things to get up on our website. In the mean time what I have been doing is just selling 15 bullets for half the price of a box of 50. This would include shipping. Since you are looking at possibly more than one box this would not add up well. We could do $19 per sample box plus $10 shipping. If you use our method of load development 15 rounds is generally enough to have a load together.

Steve

Yes It Is! I'll be getting some ordered ASAP. I've got to go to work now, I'll get with you this evening Steve. Thank you very much!
Sounds good. Call me at 406 261 0010. I am going to a football game late this afternoon. 4 mountain time

Steve

My stock Remington definitely preferred heavier bullets. I use 200 gr. Accubonds. One of these days I will break down and give Steve's products a try. Probably will be in my 25-06 though vs the Rum.

My stock Remington definitely preferred heavier bullets. I use 200 gr. Accubonds. One of these days I will break down and give Steve's products a try. Probably will be in my 25-06 though vs the Rum.
I'm very interested to try them in the .257 Wby and .264 Win
my only issue is cost, not that they aren't worth it..
my thinking is a premium bullet that can be used across several calibers like .308 / 30-06 / .300 RUM hence the 165gr range

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.