300 RUM load for coyote

mp214parks

Hornady makes a 110 gr FMJ, and my manual shows a load for this bullet as low as 3400 fps. Any ideas how this would treat a coyote. Thanks

I have a 257 but I would rather take out my 300. I am concerned about the fur. If there isn't a load that will be OK on the hide, I'll have to switch rifles.

Last edited:
I think you're better off with the smaller caliber... if you want anything left of the coyote. I use a .223 with 55gr ballistic tips. I've considered getting a 25-06 for longer shots rather than using a .308. That's assuming you want the hide.

It all depends upon which half you want to preserve... :D

Sounds a bit like a load I have worked up for my .270win. 90gr Sierra HP going a bit under 3,600fps.

Rather than downloading it, why not go the other way. Nosler shows their 125gr BT going 3,800fps with some loads. ;)

Get yourself a smaller caliber. I used my 7mm Rem. Mag and took some coyotes with it but it tended to either 1. blow a hole through them with little damage or 2. totally mangle them.
I have since then picked up a used 22-250 and it's a BLAST. Just got a 'yote this morning out the back window of my house when I was supposed to be leaving for work... :D
Gotta love being able to drag a roadkill deer out behind the house and bust 'em in your bathrobe and slippers!

Get yourself a smaller caliber. I used my 7mm Rem. Mag and took some coyotes with it but it tended to either 1. blow a hole through them with little damage or 2. totally mangle them.
I have since then picked up a used 22-250 and it's a BLAST. Just got a 'yote this morning out the back window of my house when I was supposed to be leaving for work... :D
Gotta love being able to drag a roadkill deer out behind the house and bust 'em in your bathrobe and slippers!
NOW I AM JEALOUS and the famliy would realy love that shot at sun rise LOL PS I gess if 300 rum is to big I shouldnt think about 54 or 50 cal muzzloaders

I agree with LeadHead. I recently returned home to Alaska from my annual whitetail hunt in Idaho. This year I took my 7 RUM. After bagging my deer, I spent a few days shooting coyotes. My bullet was a 168 gr. Berger VLD in from of a hefty load of RL25. I had a blast but believe me, the hides weren't salvageable. :D Next year I'll throw my .22-250AI in the gun case. However, it was impressive seeing a dog in flight, didn't realize they could fly.

Yes, I am thankful that we had the opportunity to move out to the country a few years ago. As for the family, they get used to the 6am gunshots. My wife told me yesterday she "vaguely" heard it in her sleep, when I asked her about it. LOL
Concerning your muzzleloader, I say go for it if they come in close enough. It's not quite the same as using a 300 RUM in that it does present a challenging shot, but keep in mind that you're still gonna have 2 big holes in the hide if you plan in keeping the pelt. Shooting fairly cheap factory loads in my 22-250 (Winchester 45 gr. hollowpoints at 4000 fps) I get one small hole in, and many times no hole out. It does tend to give them hemmorhoids, though, as it blows stuff out their rear end! :D
Sighted-in 3" high at 100 yards keeps it pretty flat shooting out to 300 yards. This last year I took 2 'yotes at 300 yards (by laser rangefinder) holding dead on. You just need to remember to hold a tiny bit low for close-range shots. What fun!

I once shot a coyote with my 7mm Rem Mag using a Win 150gr PSP Factory load. It was mess. That was in 1974 - it left a lasting impression on me. Over on predator masters the guys there seem to lock in on the 6mm and 22cal centerfires, some are using the 20's.

I am just starting this coyote hunting thing only did it once when I was out on the west side if MN it was a blast. Looks like I going to get a new rifle next year the only thing I got now is a .06 and a 7RM what does every one think about 270 win you can pick them cheep

You can surely use what you have, but you're really gonna love it when you get your varmint gun. I have always been an iron-sights user, having been raised that way, so it's been a bit of a struggle adapting to scopes. Having said that, even though a 300 yard shot is simply nothing for a lot of guys, when I dumped those 2 yotes this year at 299 and 301 yards it felt GREAT!!! So cool to "reach out and touch someone" at that distance. Should make a phone commercial out of it... LOL
If you reload, the '06 can be loaded down to 110 grain bullets which makes it very versatile. Should be lighter-recoiling, too.

I was just looking in my reload book yes I am starting to reload havent got every thing yet getten close. So yes goen to play with .06 a lot. I love this rifle had a lot of work done on it. right now it shoots a MOA at 200 cold bolt with win. 150 gr factory ammo the cheep stuff. cant wait to see what it does with hand loads. RECOIL the 7 is a dream to shoot conpaired to the .06 maby the but plate rubber (U think) Back to the book I think I want to stay away from the 22 cal wind drift looking at the 24 to the 270 range what yall think? OFF topick here was out bow hunten for deer yesterday morn stalking. it just stoped snowing 6" or more. Was goen along seen some movent it was a big silver coyote the wind was perf. I stalked it got to with in 45 yards (range finder) he had no clue I was there and never did. I could of dubble lunged it so easy but were I was at not leagl dam. That made me feel great to stalk a coyote. I gess I am a pediator. What do any of you know about the 300 win mag

I think what it comes down to here guys is what are you up to. Are you just going out and shooting some coyotes or trying to harvest them for pelts? There is no doubt regarding the big magnums capability. gun)
Merry Christmas.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.