300 RUM load for coyote

I push the 110 vmax to 3800fps in a 300wm, hate to see what a RUM would do at 4000 fps...

On second thought, post pics!

Need some help here. new at reloading HOW do you all pick out bulets? There is so many the GR is the easy part. What brand what style so far I like HPBT. This is what I came up with sofar. Hunting in MN for deer with a .06 1st round, round nose fast expansion like 25 yard shot 2nt, somthing like a core lock 100 yard 3rd, blist tip long range any thing over 200 yards. I know 200 dont sound like long range. In this state when you get to a place were you can shoot over 200 it is at some ones dads farm were I dont hunt any ways or when I get out were there is open country it is slug only.

CVA,
Sounds like you hunt mainly whitetails and an off season coyote or two as opportunities present themselves. From what I understand the hunting in your part of the country is mainly from treestands at close quarters.
If you intend to use your rifle mainly in MN and longest shot is less than 300 yds, that narrows things down a lot.
So, given that you are interested in a coyote load for this rifle, and hopefully you understand that the fir market is non-existent these days, we can offer you a little advise.
You have several options, if you want to combine loads, one for both deer and coyotes, I would try a 180gr Nosler Accubond or some other "bonded" bullet. Site the rifle for 2" high at 100 yds and most likely you will be about 2" low at 300 yds.
One load I found that shot REALLY WELL in my 300 RUM was with a 150gr Hornady Spire Point. Recoil is low because I do not soup it up. I use this load for 1st firing brass prior to processing (turning necks, trimming to length, primer pockets, and annealing). If memory serves me I just used a very moderate load of H4831 with CCI-250 primers.
I think a more appropriate load/cartridge would be any of the 308 based cartridges, 243, 260, 7mm-08, or 308. If coyotes are the main focus, go with a 75 to 85 gr load in a 243 (switching to a 100gr load for deer).
For me, I have a few different choices in rifles and I would only shoot a coyote with a 300 RUM if it was the only thing I had available and the coyote was going after a calf or other domestic or livestock.
Given the brushy area you are in, have you considered a good turkey load in a 3 or 3.5 inch 12ga? Using a shotgun & load like that, you might gain access to land where a 300 Mag would be shunned.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.