300 RUM Hunting Loads

cohunter14

I just picked up a 300 RUM and I am curious what others are using for hunting loads. I have done some searching on here, but haven't found a ton of information.

I want to put together one load that I can use for all big game hunting, including antelope, deer, and elk out to 500+ yards. I have been leaning towards the 200 gr Accubond because it seems kind of in the middle between the Berger VLD and the Barnes TSX and looks to be a pretty flat shooter. I have heard great things about the Berger, but honestly I am a little hesitant because of the shrapneling of the bullet. I don't want to be wasting a bunch of meat so the animal takes 5 less steps before dying. I could be wrong it this assessment, but it is just what I have read :). I have also heard quite a few stories about the Barnes "penciling" through animals and it seems that they also aren't a very flat shooting round.

Any opinions and/or load data would be appreciated!

My 200 ABs worked well over a max charge of both Retumbo and H1000. The 180 Sciroccos liked max charge of Re25

My 200 ABs worked well over a max charge of both Retumbo and H1000. The 180 Sciroccos liked max charge of Re25
About any 180 in a 30 rum will do well with rl25. I shoot a 180 hornady at 3300 fps with rl25 in my 30 rum at about 1/2 moa. I am liking the 190 hornady with wc872 and the 225 hornady with either rl50 or rl33 also.

I obtained .50" groups using Barnes 180 gr. TSX BT, and Hodgdon Retumbo. The rifle was a Remington Model 700 REMF .300 RUM. Good luck.

168 Combined Tech
Retumbo@98gr
RP Cases
CCI250

3shots@ .081 100mts

Attachments

• DSC01053.JPG
    DSC01053.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 47
Thanks for the info trebark. I have actually seen those threads and love what Broz is doing at those distances. However, I am probably going to be doing most of my shooting under 500 yards with an occasional shot past that point. Because of that, I am a little nervous about going with that berger since it will cause a lot of meat loss I'm guessing.

Thanks for the info trebark. I have actually seen those threads and love what Broz is doing at those distances. However, I am probably going to be doing most of my shooting under 500 yards with an occasional shot past that point. Because of that, I am a little nervous about going with that berger since it will cause a lot of meat loss I'm guessing.

500 yards? Go with a Barnes.

I don't want to limit my shooting to 500, I'm just guessing that a lot of my shots will be under that. So why would you suggest a Barnes over the Accubond at that range? Just curious...as I said, trying to find the best starting point, so all opinions are welcome!

REM brass, fed 215M, 200 gr AB, 92 gr RL25, OAL fit to mag length-approx 3.670 in Rem 700 usually. 3150-3200 FPS and accurate in many guns... if not try Retumbo instead. Work up to this as its a fairly max load. The 200 AB is flat shooting and flattens elk if you do your job behind the trigger.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.