300 rum factory loads

slwatson

I just purchased a 300 rum for elk hunting and was wondering what factory loads would work best for elk. I have it narrowed down to either the Remington 180 grn. Scirocco or the Federal 200 grn. partition. Does anyone know if Federal is still making it? I have heard mixed reviews on the Scirocco. I have heard that it expands pretty rapidly but still makes it to the vitals.

Good morning. I don't know the answer to your question but I'm sure someone will be along soon that does. Mostly I just wanted to say welcome to the finest LRH forum on the internet. Hope you enjoy the info you read here.

I know Remington Loads a 200gr Partition. I don't know know about Federal but then again I'm not the person to ask about factory ammo because I haven't bought a box of factory stuff in about 8 years. I would use the 200 over the 180 in the RUM for sure on elk better BC & SD.

One of your problems with the 300 RUM will be explosive expansion if shots are close for most bullets. Try Black Hills and see if they load the Barnes X in your caliber. Otherwise, The 200 Partition could work, even though I am not a lover of Partitions. The 200 does have a reputation of being tough. In my personal experience, I would stay away from the Scirroco except for deer & goats. You are going too fast for that bullet on Elk. The Swift A Frame might be loaded for your caliber by someone. Good luck in your search. Maybe you can get a friend to handload you some real bullets! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

The sciroccos usually shoot decently enough, but weren't accurate enough for me to stick with them...I did have some variations in terminal performance with them, as have several of my close friends, and acquaintences that I have met through working behind the gun counter. The Remington Ammo that I was using had velocity variations of as much as 100fps, and groups were between 1" and 1.5". The terminal performance was excellent on a doe antelope, raking shot, right rear flank and passed through to the front edge of the left shoulder. Terminal performance was NOT great on a two year old Mule deer buck shot through the neck as he was bedded, facing me. Hit where the neck and body meet, passed through to the offside hide (about 12" of meat and bone) completely pancaked and lost most of the lead core. I know I shouldn't expect more from a bonded bullet, but it sure soured me to the prospect of using them on a quartering shot on a big bull elk. I just got done working up a load with the Barnes TSX and Retumbo--3370-3412 fps...not bad for deviation, and .75" group at 100yds. It's a shame that Federal hasn't loaded the TSX bullets for the 300 RUM yet. If you're looking for loaded ammo, try conley precision cartridges... http://www.cpcartridge.com/300ultraP.htm or you can try www.noslerammunition.com. The 200gr Accubond at 3100fps would be a great choice as well.

Best of luck!

Thanks a lot for the responses and information. This is a great website. The Conley Precision ammunition looks really good. I will probably go with the 200 grn TSX at 3140fps, although I realize that I need to start reloading my own ammunition here pretty soon.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.