300 RUM enough gun for elk @ 600 yards?

Trickymissfit; What I'm trying to say is that if the bullet passes thru the animal your not getting full benifit of the round.

i'm going to respectfully disagree with this statement. check out what a 50 gr solid going in at 4k and out the other side at 3k does to an animal. when a bullet "zips" right through an animal, it causes a whole bunch more damage because it makes a bigger wound channel. assuming it mushrooms.

Title pretty much says it all, looking to see if a 300 RUM shooting maybe a 220 grain bullet is enough for elk at those ranges. Not looking for a big heavy gun if it can be avoided, and have no need for shooting farther than 600-maybe 800- yards. Would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

I have taken elk at over 1000 yards with a 300 RUM. This is a great choice for elk at ANY reasonable distance. If you are shooting past 800 yards, I would recommend you use thinner skinned bullets with a HIGH B.C.........Rich

300WinMagNewb,

Obviously, you've got your answer, yes, the 300 RUM is definitely enough for elk at 600. Even past 1,000. You're wise for considering lower powered options, ie the 300WM.

What hasn't been mentioned yet, is ammo for the 300 WinMag is far more available than that of it's Ultra Mag counterpart. In addition, the 300 RUM is a barrel burner. The 300 WinMag is also considered a barrel burner, but nowhere near as much as the Ultra and with proper reloads (if that is something you may wish to consider) loads can be rolled so as to ease the corrosion on your throat, thereby extending the life of your accuracy.

Good luck.

I was going to buy a 300 rum as well, but with some advise from friends
and some reading on a site called supiorbalistics.com, I decided to go with a 300wsm.

1st Any 300 mag will take elk quite well at 600 yds and more, can the shooter? I know I will need some practice before I risk any animal
at those distances.

2nd Do you want a light rifle for packing around? If so the 300 rum in a light package will kick like a mule.

3rd availability, and price of store bought ammo where you are hunting
should you ever forget yours.

After much consideration, And some great advise from Todd Bettin, bettin custom guns, and reading info on supiorbalistics.com. I am going to get a 300wsm.

More accurate than a 300 win, less kick than the 300 rum, and the great bullet selection for all size game that the 30 cal owners enjoy.

You guys make a lot of good points! I got rid of my ultra a couple of years ago and built my 300 Sherman. The one thing it doesn't have is ammo availability:D....Rich

The 300 wsm is a good round as is the 300 win, but you give up alot of velocity and trajectory compared to the 300 ultra.Which one is more accurate is a matter of opinion. I have had all 3 and have shot well with all 3. The ultra is just more capable of delivering heavier bullets at long range.As far as recoil I think the 300 ultra even in a light rifle is very manageable.

Trickymissfit; What I'm trying to say is that if the bullet passes thru the animal your not getting full benifit of the round.

i'm going to respectfully disagree with this statement. check out what a 50 gr solid going in at 4k and out the other side at 3k does to an animal. when a bullet "zips" right through an animal, it causes a whole bunch more damage because it makes a bigger wound channel. assuming it mushrooms.

it's physics! It takes energy to move the bullet thru the air before impact, and as well after impact. You hit something out there, and it absorbs certain amounts of energy, but the bullet goes all the way thru; thus retaining certain amounts of energy to propell it even further. But if the bullet fails to exit the target it impacts; it then expends all retained energy (thru flight) into the object it hits. Most ballistic folks say it takes around 35% of the energy at the muzzel to propell the bullet, and and it will expend another 35% at impact with the rest carrying it on thru the flight. But if the bullet fails to exit, you then expend the remaining 65% into the target. I might add here that many folks say the number is closer to 40%, while others use a 33% for shorter ranges (300 yards or less). I think the 1/3 number is flawed as it violates one of the laws of physics. In this particular case the bullet struck two massive bone structures, which probably aborbed more energy than if it had been a lung shot. But it still probably 20 to 25% of the energy it had when it first impacted on exit. Probably about 1500 to 1600ft. lb. of expeneded energy.
gary

I think that the main thing with a bullet going faster and exiting that is benifitial is the hydostatic shock. the displacment of fluid/tissue is going to be greater if the bullet is going faster. If you drop a bowling ball into water from 3 feet and then another from 5 feet, which makes the bigger splash? that splash causes tissue damage. maybe my logic is flawed but I have lots of time for learning.
one added benifit of pass throughs is a better blood trail if the game doesnt drop in its tracks.
Sorry, kinda off topic. I still think that the Ultra is better at any range. Barrels can always be replaced.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.