300 Rum elk rifle

Ninefingers

Long time lurker first post, go easy on me fellas.
Just picked up a new dedicated elk rifle-Browning x bolt hells canyon speed 300 rum with a burris veracity 4-20x. After barrel break in with factory ammo (Barnes 190 LRX), I tried three powders yesterday. H1000, did not group well at 88grs, magnum at 93gr did ok, and retumbo at 91.5gr shot pretty well. These powders were pushing a 200gr AB which would be my bullet of choice for elk. Issue, factory barnes ammo shot better or just as good as the retumbo. Looking for input on best terminal performance bullet selection for elk. I shoot bergers 168 hunter classics/64.5gr of N165 from my 7 rem. mag. This rifle however is strictly for elk unless a stud deer gets in the way. 1-8 barrel twist, with a 26 barrel/muzzle break. I've read just about every 300 rum thread available. Heading back to the range today to try retumbo loads of 91gr, 91.5gr, 92gr. COAL- 3.58 Thoughts and input appreciated. Don't want a jacketed bullet so barnes or accubond preferably. Wondering about terminal ballistics of barnes LRX bullets or the accubond LR. Thanks guys.
No ****ing matches about berger bullets, I've taken 3 bulls with them, last year at 561 yards. However living in Griz country with long walks out in the dark, I would like a non fragmenting bullet. And no deer stories, this is an ELK rifle :)

Look at the hammer bullets. no personal experience with them but iv heard they are easy to load for and are stone cold killers

The ease of the hammer Bullets is mostly ( not all) due to the relative insensitivity of seating depth. NAB/ ABLRs are good bullets as well within their design capability, but can be more subject to seatingdepth changes.

I shoot a Remington Sendero in 300 ultra mag. I use imr 7797 and cci 250 primers with 200 gr Accubonds. Shoots .5 moa. Don't recall off the top of my but I think I use 92 grains. Fairly mild load with MV at 3108. Killed several elk with no problems. I'm a big fan of the Accubonds.

Kevin

If you like the Bergers (I do) then you should try the 230's. Broz has a bit of elk experience with that bullet. Seems to work very well.
Bruce

Another nod for the Hammer Bullets, Steve loads for more RUMs than anything else. Not sure if you meant the RUM has an 8 twist of the 7 mag does. If you have a 10 twist the 181 Hammer hunter is what you want, you will get more velocity than similar weight bullet due to less engraving pressure. Before you start thinking a 181 grain is too light a member took a cape or water buffalo with one, so yes, it will penetrate. Steve has tons of load data also.
https://hammerbullets.com/product/308-cal-181g-hammer-hunter/

Another nod for the Hammer Bullets, Steve loads for more RUMs than anything else. Not sure if you meant the RUM has an 8 twist of the 7 mag does. If you have a 10 twist the 181 Hammer hunter is what you want, you will get more velocity than similar weight bullet due to less engraving pressure. Before you start thinking a 181 grain is too light a member took a cape or water buffalo with one, so yes, it will penetrate. Steve has tons of load data also.
https://hammerbullets.com/product/308-cal-181g-hammer-hunter/
I REALLY wanted to use 181 HH in my fierce RUM, got outstanding velocity and by chance it was a .5 moa load at 100 yards unfortunately the load fell apart at 200 it wouldn't group under 6-7". The only the Steve and I could figure is that it's an atmospheric issue where I live. My barrel twist is 1:10

I REALLY wanted to use 181 HH in my fierce RUM, got outstanding velocity and by chance it was a .5 moa load at 100 yards unfortunately the load fell apart at 200 it wouldn't group under 6-7". The only the Steve and I could figure is that it's an atmospheric issue where I live. My barrel twist is 1:10
Manually measure the twist rate of your barrel, several have found out they don't have the twist rate it was labelled as.

Long time lurker first post, go easy on me fellas.
Just picked up a new dedicated elk rifle-Browning x bolt hells canyon speed 300 rum with a burris veracity 4-20x. After barrel break in with factory ammo (Barnes 190 LRX), I tried three powders yesterday. H1000, did not group well at 88grs, magnum at 93gr did ok, and retumbo at 91.5gr shot pretty well. These powders were pushing a 200gr AB which would be my bullet of choice for elk. Issue, factory barnes ammo shot better or just as good as the retumbo. Looking for input on best terminal performance bullet selection for elk. I shoot bergers 168 hunter classics/64.5gr of N165 from my 7 rem. mag. This rifle however is strictly for elk unless a stud deer gets in the way. 1-8 barrel twist, with a 26 barrel/muzzle break. I've read just about every 300 rum thread available. Heading back to the range today to try retumbo loads of 91gr, 91.5gr, 92gr. COAL- 3.58 Thoughts and input appreciated. Don't want a jacketed bullet so barnes or accubond preferably. Wondering about terminal ballistics of barnes LRX bullets or the accubond LR. Thanks guys.
No *Rule 4 Violation*ing matches about berger bullets, I've taken 3 bulls with them, last year at 561 yards. However living in Griz country with long walks out in the dark, I would like a non fragmenting bullet. And no deer stories, this is an ELK rifle :)
I have an open box of 181 hammers I can ship to you to try. I think there's maybe a dozen or so left. Pm me you contact info.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts