.300 RUM COAL in a Sendero

venom600

Hi there,

Starting to develop loads in my new .300 RUM Sendero. I bought an OAL guage to compare the max OAL with both 200g Accubonds and 200g TTSX.

Both of the bullets are pretty darn close to each other in max OAL at 3.875". The factory bottom metal in the Sendero will only allow for a max OAL of 3.625". A difference of a quarter of an inch!!! Granted, the SAAMI spec for a .300 RUM is only 3.600"....

I realize that I can feed a single round at a time to experiment with an OAL longer than the mag can hold. But, is it really normal for a rifle manufacturer to ship a rifle with an actual OAL *that* much longer than the max OAL allowed by the magazine (and the SAAMI spec!)?

As the rifle is getting broken in, it's already proving to be a tack-driver. So, this may all be moot once I experiment with cartridge length a bit. But, if I notice a (positive) improvement in accuracy by moving the bullet closer to the lands...what are my options? Custom bottom metal?

Thanks!

--Ben

By the way.....I'm pretty new to the long range shooting game, but learning quickly.

I broke in the barrel on the new Sendero last Saturday and towards the end started sending bullets at the longest gong (435 yds at my local range) and was hitting it pretty consistently. A very satisfying experience. :) :) But, after running 40 rounds through the rifle in about 3 hours, I was pretty sore too!

--Ben

of the 20-30 senderos My friends and i have. several are 300rum cal. all have the same dimensions you mention. one of the FACTORY barreled 300rums will match ANY rifle for groups . we have several with krieger barrels.

Ben,

I have a factory Sendero 300 RUM as well. The COAL with 210 Bergers seated just off the lans is 3.852, with 180 E-Tips, about 3.79. I've rung the Logan Range gong with them a few times myself. The last group of E-Tips I fired at the 427 yd target boad measured 1.8". It shoots the factory load Scirrccos very well too

Remington long throats the Senderos for some reason but they still shoot well.

I use a slip-on recoil pad, when shooting mine and have fired as many as 50 rounds in about 2 hrs with no soreness at all. Could have easily done 50 more.

I'll be working up some bear loads here soon with some new GS 177's I just got.

Hope you're enjoying the snow today.

-Mark

Thanks for the feedback guys. My question is probably more academic than anything since the general consensus on the Sendero is that it 'shoots pretty darn well'. It also doesn't sound like folks are too terribly concerned with placing the bullet closer to the lands than the magazine will allow.

Mike, I was shooting factory load Scirroco on Saturday as a break-in bullet. They were shooting quite well indeed. Now I just need more trigger time myself, since it's pretty clear that my rifle is not the limiting factor in my new found quest for longer range accuracy. :)

Headed to Missoula this weekend to do a bunch of loading and shooting to try and find a combo that the rifle likes and I'm comfortable with (from a terminal ballistics perspective).

Oh....and the snow.....I'm done with it at this point. Pretty wet and nasty today in town. :)

--Ben

Venom600, i also have a 300 rum sendero. My gunsmith recommended a Vias muzzle brake. he said it would cut recoil by 35-40%. He wasnt lying. I have no problem shooting 50 rounds. It also took alot of the muzzle jump out to where i could see my 600yd and further hits. the only draw back is the noise when hunting. its loud. I also asked him about the mag issue, and from what i got out of him was that the factory does this for safety reasons and far as after market its the same. I shoot 210gr bergers and i can fit 1 in the mag just because its tip sits in the ramp and lets my bolt close with no problem. i highly recommend the Vias brake. Good luck

Brice

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.