300 RUM bullet selection

I can't speak for the RUM but I've ran the 215 and 230s to 3050 and settled on 2975 with 230s from a 26 inch 10 twist nosler 30. It's consistently .5moa or better to 600.

Like said previously, i switched to the 230s due to jacket thickness. I killed a cow elk and 150 pound wt buck at I use under 200 yards and neither were a pass through with 215s.

This past season I killed a red deer hind and several deer with 230s from 150-610 yards and all were pass throughs.

I can't speak for the RUM but I've ran the 215 and 230s to 3050 and settled on 2975 with 230s from a 26 inch 10 twist nosler 30. It's consistently .5moa or better to 600.

Like said previously, i switched to the 230s due to jacket thickness. I killed a cow elk and 150 pound wt buck at I use under 200 yards and neither were a pass through with 215s.

This past season I killed a red deer hind and several deer with 230s from 150-610 yards and all were pass throughs.
I'm not too concerned about pass throughs, but I do want adequate penetration. In my theory it seems like once the bullet exits the animal all the energy it has is just wasted. I like as much energy being dumped into the animal as possible and like them to be DRT when long range hunting.
It does seem like the 215 is maybe a little too explosive at high velocity and close range though, maybe the 245 elite hunters running a little slower will be better for some shots.

Bullets kill by tearing a hole. If a bullet stops it quits treating a hole. The faster the bullet is moving through the soft tissue the bigger the hole it tears. The shape of the bullet effects the size of the hole it tears. If a bullet stops in an animal it had to slow down as it is stopping, diminishing the amount of tearing it is doing. Resulting in less and less permanent wound as it comes to a stop.

Shock from a bullet deforming is a real thing. Energy dump from a bullet stopping is not. If I could make a magic bullet it would instantly deform, when it hits, from its ballistic form to it's terminal form and not lose a single fps as it passes through the animal. This would create the most shock and the largest wound channel.

Bullets kill by tearing a hole. If a bullet stops it quits treating a hole. The faster the bullet is moving through the soft tissue the bigger the hole it tears. The shape of the bullet effects the size of the hole it tears. If a bullet stops in an animal it had to slow down as it is stopping, diminishing the amount of tearing it is doing. Resulting in less and less permanent wound as it comes to a stop.

Shock from a bullet deforming is a real thing. Energy dump from a bullet stopping is not. If I could make a magic bullet it would instantly deform, when it hits, from its ballistic form to it's terminal form and not lose a single fps as it passes through the animal. This would create the most shock and the largest wound channel.
I'm sure you're correct and way more knowledgeable than I'll ever be. That was just my theory based on my experience and only that. I've had more DRT kills and more internal damage with bergers and similar bullets that shed more shrapnel and weight in the animal, than I have with Barnes bullets that mushroom a little bit but always pass through.
Thanks for the info! I may have to avoid the 215s now

I'm sure you're correct and way more knowledgeable than I'll ever be. That was just my theory based on my experience and only that. I've had more DRT kills and more internal damage with bergers and similar bullets that shed more shrapnel and weight in the animal, than I have with Barnes bullets that mushroom a little bit but always pass through.
Thanks for the info! I may have to avoid the 215s now
Yes, the shock of coming undone can't be discounted. It often has spectacular effects if the shock is enough to disrupt the central nervous system. This is why we want our bullet nose to shed off. If the petals were to stay on we would almost consider it a failure. The shedding of the nose and a nice flat front retained shank that will straight line deep penetrate gives us the best of both worlds.