300 RUM build- Montana Action opinion please

Hey there,
I have been lurking on this forum for a while.....this is my first post.

From Oregon, would like to call my self a bow hunter, but have an obsession with guns. I guess I just really like to shoot stuff.....

I am building a 300 ultra and need to deside on an action. Looking for some info on Montan Actions. Looking for your imput. If not Montana what would you use?

Thanks,

Last edited:
Hey there,
I have been lurking on this forum for a while.....this is my first post.

From Oregon, would like to call my self a bow hunter, but have an obsession with guns. I guess I just really like to shoot stuff.....

I am building a 300 ultra and need to deside on an action. Looking for some info on Montan Actions. Looking for your imput. If not Montana what would you use?

Thanks,

What will you be shooting? ie paper, hunting, what distance, mag feed, no mag feed...how much do you want to spend? I like BAT actions they have both single shot and repeater. By answering some the above I'll try to help you. Charlie:)

Staying in the same price range as the Montana, I'd go with a Stiller Predator.

I believe that the machining is better on the Stiller and it is a Remington clone which opens the door to many more aftermarket options like triggers, stocks, and bottom metal.

This will be a mostly hunting rifle. Distance 600-1000. I will have a mag and what I like is the assisted feed this atction has.

The action comes with a trigger, 2 lbs, which has a very clean break. My smith is making the stock with my measurements.

I do not have a budget.

Thanks for your help.

This will be a mostly hunting rifle. Distance 600-1000. I will have a mag and what I like is the assisted feed this atction has.

The action comes with a trigger, 2 lbs, which has a very clean break. My smith is making the stock with my measurements.

I do not have a budget.

Thanks for your help.

You may want to also take a look at Borden Timberline/Alpine action lots of options. Good shooting. Charlie

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.