300 RUM Brass

txhoghunter73

I have been reloading 300 RUM with Remington brass. I have been getting pretty good accuracy with it, however brass isn't as consistent as I'd like. I've been thinking about going to Hornady brass or Nosler. Anyone have any input on the two of those?

I haven't checked out AGD yet but may in the future as it looks like great brass. For my .300 RUM brass I went through with The Extreme Store. Decent price for tried and proven Norma brass. I got it right before Christmas, as they were having a sale (100 @ $175). Currently running Norma for my .270 Allen Magnum and 6.5-284 Norma and what can I say? It's Norma brass, which IMO is second only to Lapua.
Using Hornady in my .300 WinMag and it has been disappointing. After the first firing I could tell some of the primer pockets were growing. After the 2nd firing I actually had a few primers that would almost fall out of the case! I used my Hart swaging tool and got them back in commission for another round, will just continue like this until they give up the ghost, completely. At that point I'll decided on ADG or Norma (I wish Lapua would start making belted magnums!) johnnyk.

http://www.extremestore.us/ammunition-brass/

I would use the norma brass just start low and work up takes less powder than Remington don't just transfer your rem load. next would be Bertram . Graf &Sons has 7mm and 375 RUM neck size and turn if necessary.

I exclusevly use Norma for my rum. I have used the nosler brass but found I was splitting necks after 5 loadings. I am on 13 firings with Norma and haven't lost a piece yet. My load is 90 gr retumbo with 210 vldh seated .002 off lands. 3100 fps over magnetospeed. Flash holes are drilled on Norma and requires very little prep prior to loading. I bought 200 pieces and all weight sorted within 1 gr of each other. All mine were same lot so not sure how different lots would differ.

A couple of you guys are mentioning Bertram... My Bertram 7stw brass is so short I had to neck it all up to 30cal. then neck it back down as I was getting fail to fire because of headspace; the belt and shoulder dimensions are seriously short on these for some reason; I will be switching to other brass on future purchases...
The Bertram brass itself seems to be of good quality, but it frankly ****es me off I have to form the brass to make it work when I spent a buck and a half each on it...
I've picked up 50 hornady 7stw brass to work with to see if they are any better. I've had good luck with hornady brass in my 405 (and a few other cartridges like 300win and 270) so it would surprise me to have issues; usually primer pocket issues on hornady brass is a symptom of a mild overload.

I have heard that about the 7STW brass a couple times. I have used hundreds of the RUM brass without issue.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.